• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theoretically, we're less than an hour away from when the author of the bill would have to recall his bill in order to pass the other more important and less controversial bills.

mackaveli

The chair ruled Sen Davis' speech was not germane and issued a third warning to her, and closed her speech.

Sen Watson then moved to appeal the chair's ruling, a motion which takes precedence over lots of other actions and is debatable (meaning Watson would get a chance to finish filibustering for Sen Davis.) The President stepped down and put a new guy in the chair (appropriate since there would be a conflict of interest in the chair overseeing debate on his own ruling.) Then there were a whole host of points of order, which take precedence over the move to appeal. And then Sen Numbnuts tried to slip in the motion to table the motion to appeal.

The thing is, Sen Watson never yielded the floor. With his motion, he opened debate, but had to yield to the points of order. The chair never should have recognized the motion to table. It shouldn't matter, you can't take action on the main motion when there's another motion that's been tabled, but I don't really trust that parliamentarian.

Agreed so can the Republican's pull any dirty tactics and table the motion for Senator Watson to speak?

If they don't follow the rules can the democrats take further action or if the bill gets passed today no matter how the Republican's do it. They win?

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It really obviates the entire point of a filibuster if the majority can stop it with a simple vote (after arbitrarily ruling that the speech isn't "germane" to the discussion).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So what happens in an hour if this goes on till then?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Agreed so can the Republican's pull any dirty tactics and table the motion for Senator Watson to speak?

If they don't follow the rules can the democrats take further action or if the bill gets passed today no matter how the Republican's do it. They win?

They can try, but the national blow back against the GOP will be pretty severe at this point. If it passes the Dems can't really do anything but hope that they can win both chambers of congress and the gubernatorial election and change the law that way.

Seriously though, this should be a movie. A modern day Mr. Smith, staring Tina Fey or something.

I'd watch the shit out of that.

The chair ruled Sen Davis' speech was not germane and issued a third warning to her, and closed her speech.

Sen Watson then moved to appeal the chair's ruling, a motion which takes precedence over lots of other actions and is debatable (meaning Watson would get a chance to finish filibustering for Sen Davis.) The President stepped down and put a new guy in the chair (appropriate since there would be a conflict of interest in the chair overseeing debate on his own ruling.) Then there were a whole host of points of order, which take precedence over the move to appeal. And then Sen Numbnuts tried to slip in the motion to table the motion to appeal.

The thing is, Sen Watson never yielded the floor. With his motion, he opened debate, but had to yield to the points of order. The chair never should have recognized the motion to table. It shouldn't matter, you can't take action on the main motion when there's another motion that's been tabled, but I don't really trust that parliamentarian.

Thanks for the clarification.

marrec

Banned
They can try, but the national blow back against the GOP will be pretty severe at this point. If it passes the Dems can't really do anything but hope that they can win both chambers of congress and the gubernatorial election and change the law that way.

Actually if it passes I'm fairly certain it would be taken to court and end up in the supreme courts lap.

bonercop

you can see the parliamentary lady and the flabby old white guys surrounding her freaking out, even without the sound.

Dems looks smug by comparision

sangreal

Ah, I see. So she can't continue if she wanted to?

No, she was ruled out of order by the previous chair. Watson is trying to appeal that ruling which is eligible for debate. If that debate were to end, the members would vote on whether to sustain the chair's ruling. Since they want to end the fillibuster, they will sustain it, forcing Davis to yield the floor. The plan is to waste time debating the appeal instead

Alexlf

Also, why couldn't the Republicans just decide to stay open past midnight?

That's just the rules. Session ends when it ends. (And if they did try, the amount of stalling materiel it would give the dems would cover any time they gain anyways)

RyanDG

The one thing that worries me a bit though - is that Rick Perry has in the past called multiple consecutive special sessions. Even if they reach midnight, there's still a chance he will call another.

Watching this has been great, but why again is this kind of filibuster no longer common at the federal level? I know they just threaten to do it and thats it, but none of the drama.

Enron

Banned

I'd watch the shit out of that.

I don't think any state party gives a shit about what someone outside of the State thinks about what they do. They have only to answer to their constituents.

And lol @ the notion the Democrats can take over Texas.

Nope, she's done for today.

Technically, she's not, because the PoO is being appealed. If Watson wins that appeal, the previous PoO is overruled.

We all know that won't happen, but it's technically possible which means she technically ain't done. She's wobbling, though.

Man, if I was there after this was over I'd carry her around. What a trooper.

Is this appeal on the last point of order violation the only opportunity for more delay? Were it to be voted on and sustained, am I correct in assuming that there would be little to stop the bill from being brought to a vote?
If this latest point of order (new chair cannot hear new motions or points of order) is sustained, Sen Watson's motion to appeal is up for debate (and the filibuster continues.) If it is overturned, Sen Numbnuts' (sorry, I didn't catch his real name) motion to table the motion to appeal is up to be voted on. If that happens, the motion to table will probably succeed on party lines, and the motion to appeal will be tabled. After that, SB5 will probably be taken up and voted on, but it really shouldn't since there is the motion to appeal that's still germane.

Iksenpets

Banned
@EricaGrieder
Sounds like Estes may withdraw point of order or whatever that was for the reason @gtroyp cited earlier #TxLege #SB5

Went to @gtroyp feed, and this tweet is the best candidate I could find for what she may be referencing there.

@GtroyP 18m
Some one tell Sen west that the chair recognized Estes for a parliamentary inquiry. The motion during the inquiry would be out of order #sb5

They are.

Are we talking East East Texas, like Tyler or some shit? Or just East as in not west Texas, Dallas/Houston? Because that would be super ironic if the only clinics left were in the Bibliest part of the state out east.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Actually if it passes I'm fairly certain it would be taken to court and end up in the supreme courts lap.

It could, but just looking over the summary there doesn't seem to be anything blatantly unconstitutional in the law. It's just really really scummy is all. They'd need some sort of legal standing to do it.

sangreal

The one thing that worries me a bit though - is that Rick Perry has in the past called multiple consecutive special sessions. Even if they reach midnight, there's still a chance he will call another.

Sure, but it costs a lot of money and this time he won't be able to slip in abortion later

sangreal

If this latest point of order (new chair cannot hear new motions or points of order) is sustained, Sen Watson's motion to appeal is up for debate (and the filibuster continues.) If it is overturned, Sen Numbnuts' (sorry, I didn't catch his real name) motion to table the motion to appeal is up to be voted on. If that happens, the motion to table will probably succeed on party lines, and the motion to appeal will be tabled. After that, SB5 will probably be taken up and voted on, but it really shouldn't since there is the motion to appeal that's still germane.

Shouldn't they be able to appeal the ruling on this point of order as well?

ezrarh

I don't think any state party gives a shit about what someone outside of the State thinks about what they do. They have only to answer to their constituents.

Next decade or two. lol @ GOP continuing its same bullshit

Wallach

Thanks for the clarification.

Just listening to the rule Watson spoke that started this delay, I don't think the member called to chair is even able to recognize points of order if he's taking the chair due to this type of appeal. So the only thing he should have recognized were parliamentary inquiries. That's what it sounded like, anyway, which makes the actions leading up to this reflect even worse on the parliamentarian.

I'm interested to see if they'll even fuck with the debate or pull the bill now and just try to get the other two behind this through.

No, she was ruled out of order by the previous chair. Watson is trying to appeal that ruling which is eligible for debate. If that debate were to end, the members would vote on whether to sustain the chair's ruling. Since they want to end the fillibuster, they will sustain it, forcing Davis to yield the floor. The plan is to waste time debating the appeal instead
Technically, Sen. Watson is appealing the ruling that the third warning ends Sen Davis' holding of the floor.

We all know how that motion would be decided, but at this point, wasting the time to discuss it is the point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So doing what other states have done and not banning it outright but making the clinics themselves less available. Just wow. And those clinics provide all kinds of health care and low cost contraception. They going to close them outright or just shut down abortion procedures? If it's the former these people are even more fucking disgusting.
Well over 90% of Planned Parenthood’s activity is devoted to performing abortions, so it's worth taking away all those other services.

lol Jon Kyl

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

You're right about the first one, but I assume the national committee could make their lives hell for a while as far as fund raising goes (or just plain not bother helping anyone with national ambitions) if they wind up with too much egg on their face.

My second point was meant to get a nice laugh, we all know that won't happen this decade. Or even the one after that.

So, with only one hour left can they still pass it even if they tried?

Yes, voting doesn't take long depending on how they decide to do it. They can vote in under a minute if they really tried with the electronic voting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom