• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobriquet

I've been out of Texas for so long that I had forgotten that I voted for Kirk Watson for Mayor of Austin. :p

I have no idea how that worked out as I left in '97.

sangreal

I hope Senator Davis has used the restroom during all this in the minuscule chance she gets to continue on with her filibuster.

She won't get to continue, because they will eventually vote on the germaineness point of order and obviously sustain it

ivysaur12

Banned
He found the rule that stated that the member coming to chair when Watson started the debate over the appeal was not able to recognize any further points of order or motions, which he tried to do when Estes made the motion to table and he tried to put it in front of the body. They have no choice but to go through the debate before anything else happens now except inquiries.

Edit - I could see the bill getting pulled here.

Thanks to watching 4 hours of this debate, I know what this means!

This legislation would close all abortion clinics?

The amount of women's health clinics in the US has dwindled from 1980. It's really depressing.

mackaveli

The Dem's better win.

What will happen if the Republican's vote on the bill but the chair screwed the process?

Is this appeal-able in court?

Iksenpets

Banned
This legislation would close all abortion clinics?

The amount of women's health clinics in the US has dwindled from 1980. It's really depressing.

My understanding is that only 4 clinics in the state currently meet the requirements of this bill, and it would be something like one in DFW, one in Houston, one in SA, and one in Austin. Anyone in rural South or West Texas is out of luck.

Is this appeal on the last point of order violation the only opportunity for more delay? Were it to be voted on and sustained, am I correct in assuming that there would be little to stop the bill from being brought to a vote?

I would very much like to hear this, but as it is, there doesn't seem to be anything going on :\ I can't hear anything, at least. My support still stands!

Except for a handful in east texas

So doing what other states have done and not banning it outright but making the clinics themselves less available. Just wow. And those clinics provide all kinds of health care and low cost contraception. They going to close them outright or just shut down abortion procedures? If it's the former these people are even more fucking disgusting.

RyanDG

But that's when the separation of powers is for. It's the Court's job to decide when a majority legislature is in the wrong, not the job of a single legislator.

A piece of legislation could be harmful and disruptive, yet still be constitutional. The court's job is to only determine its constitutionality to the state or federal level.

Can you explain what that means? As I was watching it seemed like I understood this point and then somehow the discussion moved past it. But I was never clear what the point actually was, only that it seemed persuasive.
The chair ruled Sen Davis' speech was not germane and issued a third warning to her, and closed her speech.

Sen Watson then moved to appeal the chair's ruling, a motion which takes precedence over lots of other actions and is debatable (meaning Watson would get a chance to finish filibustering for Sen Davis.) The President stepped down and put a new guy in the chair (appropriate since there would be a conflict of interest in the chair overseeing debate on his own ruling.) Then there were a whole host of points of order, which take precedence over the move to appeal. And then Sen Numbnuts tried to slip in the motion to table the motion to appeal.

The thing is, Sen Watson never yielded the floor. With his motion, he opened debate, but had to yield to the points of order. The chair never should have recognized the motion to table. It shouldn't matter, you can't take action on the main motion when there's another motion that's been tabled, but I don't really trust that parliamentarian.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Some of these comments are great

"Until you've carried a child, stay the fuck out of my uterus"

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

iammeiam

Is this appeal on the last point of order violation the only opportunity for more delay? Were it to be voted on and sustained, am I correct in assuming that there would be little to stop the bill from being brought to a vote?

They can always do another round of protocol questions, just asking to have things clarified or re-explained to kill a little more time. Realistically, how long does the vote take I wonder? If they shut everyone down and go for the vote, they're going to have to clear the galleries to be able to hear anyone.

So doing what other states have done and not banning it outright but making the clinics themselves less available. Just wow. And those clinics provide all kinds of health care and low cost contraception. They going to close them outright or just shut down abortion procedures? If it's the former these people are even more fucking disgusting.

Yes. It's what ~4% of Planned Parenthood's total services, they act as if it all they do and that all of the employees and volunteers are Nazi-esque.

Cyan

Banned

Right, it's one of these model legislation things where it's carefully crafted to sound mostly reasonable to a cursory reading but de facto is about shutting down abortion clinics.

Iksenpets

Banned
Not likely, the legislature makes and enforces their own rules

I can't say for sure, but this is my hunch as well. I've never heard of a law being appealed on the basis that parliamentary procedures weren't followed in its passing. Procedures are usually treated as an internal matter for the legislative chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom