• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

I don't think any state party gives a shit about what someone outside of the State thinks about what they do. They have only to answer to their constituents.

And lol @ the notion the Democrats can take over Texas.
If demographics trends in Texas remain as they're currently projected and if Mexican Americans continue to vote they way they do, they can totally take Texas in the next decade (projections I read suggests it should become competitive around 2020, though some argue a strong presidential candidate can put it in play as early as 2016, but I'm not sure if I'm buying it).

Alucrid

Banned
what does that mean?

If you split Texas evenly in half, with one being east and the other being west, then the clinics would be in east Texas. However the term East Texas applies to a distinct area of Texas and doesn't include everything east of that hypothetical divider.

Women my age really need to wake up to the fact that we had more reproductive rights and available clinics in the 70s. =/. The fucking 70s, that's over 30 years ago now.

Technically, Sen. Watson is appealing the ruling that the third warning ends Sen Davis' holding of the floor.

We all know how that motion would be decided, but at this point, wasting the time to discuss it is the point.
Actually, I should say that Sen Watson is appealing the ruling that the third warning ends Sen Davis' holding of the floor, and he is now raising a point of order that the new chair improperly recognized the motion to table.

Since she violated the third PoO and the appeal obviously won't be won in the end, shouldn't she just sit down anyway? lol.

Or does that count as submitting or something?

The chamber still has to vote to end her filibuster BTW. We're not even there yet. 1 hour to go.

If you split Texas evenly in half, with one being east and the other being west, then the clinics would be in east Texas. However the term East Texas applies to a distinct area of Texas and doesn't include everything east of that hypothetical divider.

I'm not sure the distinction is germane. I motion that we table this matter.

The thing is, Sen Watson never yielded the floor. With his motion, he opened debate, but had to yield to the points of order. The chair never should have recognized the motion to table. It shouldn't matter, you can't take action on the main motion when there's another motion that's been tabled, but I don't really trust that parliamentarian.

Neither do I. She's been squirrely (sorry for pun...) the whole episode.

Iksenpets

Banned
what does that mean?

The names by which Texans break down the state into regions are somewhat nonsensical. East Texas has a very specific meaning in Texan parlance. It only refers to that strip of land east of Dallas and Houston. It's the most religious and conservative part of the state, with way more ties to the Old South than the rest of Texas, so it would be really weird if it hosted all of the state's abortion clinics. For more madness, Dallas is considered North Texas, while the actual northernmost part of the state is just called the Panhandle.

Zebra

I don't think any state party gives a shit about what someone outside of the State thinks about what they do. They have only to answer to their constituents.

It will happen in time. Certainly within our lifetime.

Also, I loved my visit to that building when I was in Austin last November. Great little space and lots to see. They didn't let us sit in the chairs though even though the Senate wasn't in session :(

It really is a lovely building.

RuhFpQD.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Watching this has been great, but why again is this kind of filibuster no longer common at the federal level? I know they just threaten to do it and thats it, but none of the drama.

They don't threaten to do it, they just do it automatically. In the Senate, it takes 60 votes to end debate, so unless the bill has 60 votes, there isn't much reason to do a talking filibuster since the bill can never get to the floor.

AniHawk

Women my age really need to wake up to the fact that we had more reproductive rights and available clinics in the 70s. =/. The fucking 70s, that's over 30 years ago now.

that was before the brotherly leader and guide of the revolution ronald reagan became president.

Since she violated the third PoO and the appeal obviously won't be won in the end, shouldn't she just sit down anyway? lol.

I suspect it would 'unravel the stack' so to speak. The debate is nested on whether or not the motion to appeal the final PoO violation could be brought to the entire voting body, opening it up for more unlimited debate (senate rules), so if she sits it would be like yielding the floor, rendering further debate, appeals and Points of Order moot, giving the Repubs the win.

RyanDG

I saw an interesting statistic not too long ago that high risk women were becoming less and less likely to seek the necessary reproductive health care they needed with their primary reason for the lack of regular health visits being the difficulty in finding low cost options. It's a strange world we live in.

Slacker

If Watson's motion to debate whether she actually went off topic succeeds, the filibuster could continue. She won't give up until it's absolutely over.

Yes, that is the beautiful thing about it. A bunch of obstinate far-right Texan GOPers trying to ban abortion will become the nation-wide face of the GOP. That is not going to help the GOP nationally.

Well the GOP seems quite set on that by forcing a lot of unintentional "anchor babies" to be born there.

This guy found some rule to allow it, but he is ignoring that he isn't the chair allowed to do it I thought.

GOP trying their hardest and they might win...

The young liberal hippies in the 60's who tried to reform the government is the very generation currently in office screwing our country. I want to believe OUR generation will make the change once we fill a majority of the political positions, but nothing is guaranteed. We're all susceptible to back tracking to conservative values when we hit that age.

RyanDG

Wow. Tabling a bill is not the same as closing debate on a bill and voting. His argument that he should be allowed to take a motion to table seems flawed.

They got theirs, fuck everyone else.

Well no, I'm 26, so women my age "haven't got theirs" as in they need TO FUCKING WAKE UP AND VOTE.

The young liberal hippies in the 60's who tried to reform the government is the very generation currently in office screwing our country. I want to believe OUR generation will make the change once we fill a majority of the political positions, but nothing is guaranteed. We're all susceptible to back tracking to conservative values when we hit that age.

Indeed. But I feel like people think nothing can backslide and they don't even have to fight to keep the status quo. Reproductive rights are a huge example of how things don't get better. You can't assume certain rights are guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom