• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
Pretty sure they were voting during the commotion.

Or the time is suspended during the commotion. Which appears to be the case.

IrishNinja

that's not what matters. 180,000 people saw them do it amidst a crowd screaming against their favor for 15 goddamn minutes. and many more will see it happen tomorrow.

texas senate, you dun fucked up son.

only silver lining i'm getting from this, sadly. god i hope this gets more people paying attention to this shit

Aaron

that's not what matters. 180,000 people saw them do it amidst a crowd screaming against their favor for 15 goddamn minutes. and many more will see it happen tomorrow.

They don't care, and a little temporary bad press won't impact them at all. Look at this way, if they were capable of caring, they wouldn't have voted for the bill in the first place.

It passed

They don't care, and a little temporary bad press won't impact them at all. Look at this way, if they were capable of caring, they wouldn't have voted for the bill in the first place.

Texas is a red state through and through, doesn't affect them.

They did the third strike already--that's when the lady tried to move to adjourn and got shot down. Then they called another vote, which I believe was this bill. Then the crowd imploded and he claimed it was suspended...

He didn't, he said he would suspend the roll call if they stopped chanting.

Drakeon

Am I being cynical in thinking it won't matter? Aren't all these overreaches against abortion happening in deeply red states? It's not like we can do anything nationally against it either. I mean, it's great people are passionate about it, but I tend to think Texas state legislature stays safely red.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm so confused right now. I want to know if we won. And I'm not counting on you until you have a source, GAF.

You realize most pro choice people are not thrilled with abortion and a movement to make abortion seem cool would be a disastrous idea

No one wants it to seem cool. They want women to come out of the woodwork and talk about it and not let it be so thoroughly shameful. That's the only way it can move forward.

raphanum

So, if this moron impregnated his maid, would he be against abortion and support the child or would he be the first one in with a clothe-hanger?

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 2m
It's officially over, #SB5 did not receive Senate approval

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 59s
They may be voting on #SB5 anyways

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 57s
GOP SEnators trying to still vote on #SB5 past midnight

Fuck these clowns.

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 6s
GOP Senators moved to vote on #sb5 at midnight, Dems say its over and cannot count

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@mikestatesman 10:03 PM
West: Vote didn't start until 12:01. It doesn't count. The special session is over. #txlege

Duffyside

Banned
tumblr_mn35urB4Yg1rej0dco1_500.gif

Looks like a zygote.

iammeiam

He didn't, he said he would suspend the roll call if they stopped chanting.
He said both I think--first that they suspended until the crowd shut up, then they'd suspend if the crowd shut up. Since the former made more sense, and this guy has been stumbling over himself all nigh, I assumed the former. Shame on me, I guess.

Talon

Austin American Statesman Texas Legislature Reporter Mike Ward:

West: Vote didn't start until 12:01. It doesn't count. The special session is over. #txlege

Deuell and other GOP sens: SB5 passed 17-12. #txlege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom