• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koomaster

Oh fuck this shit, they are trying to vote on it AFTER midnight.

Yep, they definitely threw out ALL the rules to make this happen. The worst. ~___~

AniHawk

Am I being cynical in thinking it won't matter? Aren't all these overreaches against abortion happening in deeply red states? It's not like we can do anything nationally against it either. I mean, it's great people are passionate about it, but I tend to think Texas state legislature stays safely red.

i hate to sound like a shithead, but it's politics, and it's the long game. a couple bad things against immigrants and women may be forgotten. a long history over a few years definitely won't be. it's going to matter a lot when the gop base is reduced more and more to older white men.

What the hell are they doing now? They can't vote now as the special session is over right?

Meanwhile you can clearly hear the crowd yelling outside through the walls of the Senate chamber.

Rayis

Incredible that these buffoons are disregarding the rules and still voting for this horrendous bill, I hope the GOP pays the price and BIG TIME!

lol. seems the rules are pretty cut and dry here. if they really want to claim it's passed past midnight then they may as well be running a banana republic here.

mackaveli

i hate to sound like a shithead, but it's politics, and it's the long game. a couple bad things against immigrants and women may be forgotten. a long history over a few years definitely won't be. it's going to matter a lot when the gop base is reduced more and more to older white men.

And with social media being bigger then ever, I'd think this can really spark a movement and people caring more and voicing their opinions.

Before no one had access to all this information but with twitter, youtube, facebook, etc., it will open the eyes of many people.

Imagine having the last 15 minutes of people chanting shown to someone. It's inspiring stuff.

And hopefully this wakes up other people in other states, countries, etc.,

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What the hell are they doing now? They can't vote now as the special session is over right?

Meanwhile you can clearly hear the crowd yelling outside through the walls of the Senate chamber.

Pretty sure they're going to try, it's not like they cared about the rules the rest of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom