• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to ram it through they just like they rammed unwanted ultrasounds into the uteruses of women who want to get abortions. Like they give an honest fuck about anything.

Can we just get a fucking verdict without having to dig through the goddamn details? What the fuck. Did it pass or not? Did the people and that brave woman make a difference or did crotchety old fucks just do whatever the fuck they want again? Like always?

pigeon

Banned
In many ways the confusion over whether the bill passed will be notably worse for the GOP than either definitive option. "Bill passes" and "bill fails" are both nonstories compared to "nobody really sure whether bill is law or not."

IrishNinja

Actually, the shits in the suits represent way more of the people, as they were elected. #TheMoreYouKnow

yeah, senators traditionally represent the will of the people to a fault, no doubt

duffy given the weight of the discussion is the really the best thread for you to troll right now?

AMUSIX

Doesn't count when the republicans gerrymandered the everloving shit out of the state.

If you think the senators represent the people, you are truly ignorant.

Indeed....there's no way anyone can look at this and think those lines were drawn with any sense of fairness...

uAinYQql.png

What the fuck. Just caught up on all of this.

When will our country hit a breaking point?

We're all so divided, surly something is going to push it over the edge. We need to clean house, tear down the entire system and rebuild. It's all gone to shit.

I'm so fucking embarrassed by the state of things.

sangreal

But if taken to the supreme court, wouldn't there be enough to overturn their decision if passed? This is actually pretty disturbing to say the least.

No, they make, break and enforce their own rules. They have no obligation to follow them, they do it to preserve decorum. There might be an issue if the session lasted longer than 30 days though

You're going to see the same thing at a federal level soon when the fillibuster is killed with a simple majority vote.

JABEE

If they jam it through, how long will it take to get an injunction upheld? Wouldn't this interrupt services being provided to women?

iammeiam

Wait, whatever happened to the big font thing? Was that something they had to vote on? Is that what that vote was? Hw do the senators even know what they were voting on at that point?

kirblar

No, they make and break their own rules. They have no obligation to follow them, they do it to preserve decorum. There might be an issue if the session lasted longer than 30 days though

You're going to see the same thing at a federal level soon when the fillibuster is killed with a simple majority vote.
To be fair - the fillibuster needs to die in the U.S. Senate, unfortunately.

In many ways the confusion over whether the bill passed will be notably worse for the GOP than either definitive option. "Bill passes" and "bill fails" are both nonstories compared to "nobody really sure whether bill is law or not."

Bill fails is still the best outcome for women, though.

Man, this whole last hour was fucking disgusting.

This may actually end up being a defining moment for American democracy this century the way things are going. You just KNOW there will be legal challenges to this if somehow the Republicans will pass it and claim it bears weight of law. I can see it going to the Supreme Court.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
*Turns on youtube stream to look at politicians pushing women's health bills*

*Sees a bunch of white haired old men talking in a circle*

Glad I'm not a woman in Texas

sangreal

To be fair - the fillibuster needs to die.

Yes, I have no problem with that. I'm just saying it is the same concept. The majority is responsible for enforcing the rules, so they can ignore them as they see fit. The courts see it as an internal matter

At the federal level, this is explicit in the constitution:
Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behavior, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a member.

Aaron

And they're doing a fine job of representing right now.

Wait, no they ain't.
How does that figure? All of Texas didn't turn up to chant. I bet if a toll was taken of the voters in Texas, the majority would be in favor. That's the people they represent. The ones who would vote assholes like them into the job.

Talon

Democrats Senators telling local media there was no vote before midnight.

Republican Senators telling local media that it passed.

Same old, same old.

Enron

Banned
Indeed....there's no way anyone can look at this and think those lines were drawn with any sense of fairness...

uAinYQql.png

I brought this up in a gerrymandering thread before - but you are insane if you think this is something unique to republicans. Illinois redrew their districts in the recent past, and there's some truly loldistricts in that state.

For example:

illinois-4th-district-map.jpg

Err...wtf

2014...hispanics need to turn the fuck out for Texas dems

The problem is that the districts are specifically drawn to negate minority influence. If you put all the Hispanics in big districts than it doesn't matter if they vote in force or not, they'll be electing safe democrats while republicans carve small white districts everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom