• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Turns on youtube stream to look at politicians pushing women's health bills*

*Sees a bunch of white haired old men talking in a circle*

Glad I'm not a woman in Texas

But "a bunch of white haired old men talking in a circle" pretty much describes our entire governmental system. =\

Democrats Senators telling local media there was no vote before midnight.

Republican Senators telling local media that it passed.

Same old, same old.

image.php

Seems to me like nobody there has any idea what's going on. Some of them are clearly saying it passed, but that is likely just playing the media more than anything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I brought this up in a gerrymandering thread before - but you are insane if you think this is something unique to republicans. Illinois redrew their districts in the recent past, and there's some truly loldistricts in that state.

For example:

illinois-4th-district-map.jpg

lol how is this even legal?

AMUSIX

I brought this up in a gerrymandering thread before - but you are insane if you think this is something unique to republicans. Illinois redrew their districts in the recent past, and there's some truly loldistricts in that state.

For example:

I don't think it's unique to republicans....I think it's shit whereever it turns up.

kendrid

Banned

For example:

Thanks for posting this. While I vote D most of the time here in IL both sides are corrupt as hell and both use gerrymandering to get people into office. It is an extremely flawed system.

Sibylus

Banned
How does that figure? All of Texas didn't turn up to chant. I bet if a toll was taken of the voters in Texas, the majority would be in favor. That's the people they represent. The ones who would vote assholes like them into the job.
Someone posted numbers earlier suggesting the state is overwhelmingly against it. Even if those cheering are in the minority, they should just eat shit because a craven coward in that chamber decided that the rules no longer applied?

Talon

Thanks for posting this. While I vote D most of the time here in IL both sides are corrupt as hell and both use gerrymandering to get people into office. It is an extremely flawed system.
We here in Chicago are proud of the leeches on humanity that are our Aldermen, which outnumber their counterparts in the much more populous city of New York City 2-to-1.

I'm sure that's justifiable. Somehow.

Those tasty, tasty pensions.

royalan

What the GOP should have done was be gracious, adjourn this session when the clock ran out and gave it another shot in the next session. It wouldn't have been an ACTUAL admittance of defeat, just a "you won this round, but we'll be back."

But nope.

Their damn-near villainous fervor to get what will WIDELY be considered an anti-abortion bill passed by any means necessary against a crowd like this will be DISASTROUS PR for the entire party moving forward. ESPECIALLY if someone up in the galleys ends up getting injured.

The GOP couldn't have possibly made themselves look worse than they did today. They played into EVERY negative idea the country has of the party tonight.

For example:

That seems to be in one city, that's child's play.

I voted in my parent's congressional district when I was in college.

I lived in Austin, they lived in Houston.

Then, when I moved to an apartment across the street, I voted with people from north San Antonio.

Supposedly someone walked around and claimed to take a face to face vote from each member.

Dems claiming vote didn't happen til 12:01.

Of course for the GOP it doesn't matter. Not sure how this plays out now.

Evan Smith ‏@evanasmith 1m
.@rossramsey says there's a time stamp on the voting mechanism. If it was before or after midnight, we'll be able to see #txlege

Enron

Banned
Someone posted numbers earlier suggesting the state is overwhelmingly against it. Even if those cheering are in the minority, they should just eat shit because a craven coward in that chamber decided that the rules no longer applied?

Overwhelmingly against the idea of voting on it in a special session, that is. This bill will just reappear in some form down the line.

The problem is that the districts are specifically drawn to negate minority influence. If you put all the Hispanics in big districts than it doesn't matter if they vote in force or not, they'll be electing safe democrats while republicans carve small white districts everywhere.
I'd imagine a number of those GOP districts have Hispanic voters who've never voted or registered to vote.

It's the sleeping giant of Texas politics. If unregistered TX Hispanics started turning out at the same rate as the ones in California, Republicans would be in deep shit

It's perfectly legal. The party in power gets to draw the districts. Don't like it, win an election!

Gerrymandering should have been nipped in the bud when Elbridge Gerry, for whom it is named, first tried it at the beginning of our democracy. That it is allowed to continue today is disgraceful and an insult to our political process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom