• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

You know, I just realized that the transportation funding bill died because of this. There is going to have to be a second special session I would think, regardless of the outcome of SB5.

Oh damn, I go out for one night this week and miss one of the most important reproductive right's stories in a while. So no one really knows what's happening at this point? Nothing's happening on the stream.

Feels like E3, but beware of pronouncements from GOP senators saying SB5 passed. Just a lot of FUD going around right now, particularly from Sen. Dan Patrick.

Clevinger

BNqVwUoCEAAsD5x.jpg:large

Those optics....

Are cowboy hats part of the mandatory dress code?

sangreal

I brought this up in a gerrymandering thread before - but you are insane if you think this is something unique to republicans. Illinois redrew their districts in the recent past, and there's some truly loldistricts in that state.

For example:

illinois-4th-district-map.jpg

Gerrymandering is always bad, and we need independent panels to draw districts but the complaint with Texas isn't that they are doing it to consolidate Republican power (actually, that is there defense -- verbatim), but that it is meant to disenfranchise minorities

aceface

What the GOP should have done was be gracious, adjourn this session when the clock ran out and gave it another shot in the next session. It wouldn't have been an ACTUALLY admittance of defeat, just us "you won this round, but we'll be back."

But nope.

Their damn-near villainous fervor to get what will WIDELY be considered an anti-abortion bill passed by any means necessary against a crowd like this will be DISASTROUS PR for the entire party moving forward. ESPECIALLY if someone up in the galleys ends up getting injured.

The GOP couldn't have possibly made themselves look worse than they did today. They played into EVERY negative idea the country has of the party tonight.

You make a good point.

What the GOP should have done was be gracious, adjourn this session when the clock ran out and gave it another shot in the next session. It wouldn't have been an ACTUALLY admittance of defeat, just us "you won this round, but we'll be back."

But nope.

Their damn-near villainous fervor to get what will WIDELY be considered an anti-abortion bill passed by any means necessary against a crowd like this will be DISASTROUS PR for the entire party moving forward. ESPECIALLY if someone up in the galleys ends up getting injured.

The GOP couldn't have possibly made themselves look worse than they did today. They played into EVERY negative idea the country has of the party tonight.

See the thing is, people who are staunchly against abortion will see it differently.

But nope.

They don't care. Their base will continue to eat it up and vote for them.

Koomaster

So nobody knows if it passed or not, not even the people voting on it?

I don't know if that's good or bad that nobody knows. What a circus this whole thing was tho.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Supposedly someone walked around and claimed to take a face to face vote from each member.

Dems claiming vote didn't happen til 12:01.

Of course for the GOP it doesn't matter. Not sure how this plays out now.

They ignore the timestamp and say it passed anyway. What's to stop them? The rules?

You realize that would hurt the movement more than help it?

I would argue otherwise. I honestly believe that there needs to be an affirming dialogue on this issue that eschews the conventional pretense of shame. It's shame that empowers the religious right on this very issue -- that abortion is something that only sluts get. Statistically, one in three women alive today will have undergone an abortion by the time they reach the age of 45. The prolife movement for years have tried to craft this meme of the irresponsible, selfish woman having abortions, and it has cultivated an attitude among politicians that they can pull shit like what's happening in Texas. Women need to own this issue if they're to seriously break this impasse. They need to be fearless and unapologetic about it.

Gay people can now get married in about 9 states. They wouldn't be enjoying this right today if they were silent, obedient mice.They "came out" of the closet, and owned up to their sexuality. And they spent decade challenging the status quo. Because of the shifting generational demographics, it is going to be a harder sell to convince younger voters on the wisdom of denying gay people the right to marry on account of religious belief. That's a testament to their willingness to come forward and testify on their own behalf.

Likewise, women need to seriously take a page from the gay rights handbook, imo. I empathize with the argument that women who have abortions are entitled to anonymity, and I would respect that too. But seriously, the way this issue keeps going back and forth with antichoice politicians passing b.s. laws like mandatory ultrasounds, etc... I think it might benefit the prochoice movement to assess their losses, and try to evaluate why they seem to be hitting a wall in off election seasons.

Enron

Banned
This is not actually a good answer to "how is this legal?"

It's really the only answer. It's legal because...it is. All it requires is for your party to be in power, and have a desire to stay there. All you have to do is make sure it can withstand a court challenge that it isn't racially motivated, and bam. Legal.

sangreal

But nope.

Exactly. They will have to call another session to pass the other bills anyway. Just suck it up and try again. Likely they'd rather avoid two rounds of bad press (even though it is good local press)

Dead Man

I brought this up in a gerrymandering thread before - but you are insane if you think this is something unique to republicans. Illinois redrew their districts in the recent past, and there's some truly loldistricts in that state.

For example:

God damn, there needs to some sort of minimum ratio of perimeter to area that needs to be met, that shit is ridiculous.

pigeon

Banned
Fair enough, but "how is this legal" isn't a very good question.

Well, I more interpreted it as "why is this legal," which I think is a pretty good question. We don't let elected officials draw districts in California any more because it would, from my perspective, be dumb, and things seem to be working out pretty well. In my view, gerrymanders should be illegal at the federal level.

Overwhelmingly against the idea of voting on it in a special session, that is. This bill will just reappear in some form down the line.

Well, it's possible it might be a little bit less popular after tonight.

So if it does pass from the face to face vote call, would the democrats be able to object on the basis it was too loud to know what they were voting on? Or would it just matter if the person who tallied everything says that they knew?

Jimothy

For example:

how exhausting is it to play the devil's advocate in every political thread?

The AP is running with it passed.

That AP report will hit all the newspapers by morning if it goes past printing deadlines. Even if its factually wrong. Setting the narrative.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's really the only answer. It's legal because...it is. All it requires is for your party to be in power, and have a desire to stay there. All you have to do is make sure it can withstand a court challenge that it isn't racially motivated, and bam. Legal.

Actually that last part just got thrown out this morning. Still incredibly unethical either way

Alexlf

How could they have voted on that without voting on the repealing of the third strike? Oh, right, because the "Mr. President" said he could.

Still gonna wait for the official word though.

Welp, it really can't be stated enough, but the modern Republican legislator is an intrinsically evil reprobate. There is no bigger problem the U.S. faces than the deeply corrupt, soulless monsters that make up the GOP leadership.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Republicans are the Tea Party. No amount of bullshit is going to change their idiotic, sexist, slightly racist and science denial. That is an essential part of their platform.

How did that slightly sneak in there? You should probably do something about that.

mackaveli

The fact that no one knows if it passed or not should be enough grounds to show that the vote wasn't even conducted and the bill failed.

It should be pretty clear cut and dry on whether a bill passed or failed and not some I don't know.

Cyan

Banned
Here in IL the Democrats do the same damn thing. Gerrymandering is used by both sides.

True; although it currently heavily favors the GOP, gerrymandering can be done by whoever's in power at the right time. I'd love to see Iowa's redistricting procedures adopted countrywide. Unfortunately, since adopting those procedures would break up these insane districts and thus harm incumbents, it'd be really difficult to get the votes.

They can't actually win elections without massive string-pulling now due to them losing at least a generation. They're barely hanging on and are clawing to life.
Most of these politicians are grey and old. Quite a few probably don't care about what happens beyond their elections.

AMUSIX

There are a shit ton of center-right republicans that would be insulted by this ignorance.

Are you talking about voters? Because I want to believe that. If the republican party was the same party as Nixon and Reagan and Bush and Dole, then I'd be fine, and actually support a lot of their positions.

But the modern elected republican? I don't much in the way of center-right. Certainly not a single one in the US Senate, none of these GOP-run states seem to have many center-right voices, the US House also seems to be almost devoid of them....

JABEE

The fact that no one knows if it passed or not should be enough grounds to show that the vote wasn't even conducted and the bill failed.

It should be pretty clear cut and dry on whether a bill passed or failed and not some I don't know.

They have mechanisms in place. We just have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom