• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKaos

I'm hearing bumping and moving shit on the stream and I can't tell if someone bumped in to the table with the mic or if there's actually a riot happening outside of the building.

sangreal

I have to assume they're doing another parliamentary review to see if a vote can count after midnight if they don't call an end to the session. The hack of a parliamentarian goes with whatever the chair says anyway

Rayis

I don't know what's going on, but Republicans can keep tarnishing their reputation, it's good for us people, we don't need their extremism in the country.

It's really the only answer. It's legal because...it is. All it requires is for your party to be in power, and have a desire to stay there. All you have to do is make sure it can withstand a court challenge that it isn't racially motivated, and bam. Legal.

Just like the NSA stuff.

Its perfectly legal!

I would argue otherwise. I honestly believe that there needs to be an affirming dialogue on this issue that eschews the conventional pretense of shame. It's shame that empowers the religious right on this very issue -- that abortion is something that only sluts get. Statistically, one in three women alive today will have undergone an abortion by the time they reach the age of 45. The prolife movement for years have tried to craft this meme of the irresponsible, selfish woman having abortions, and it has cultivated an attitude among politicians that they can pull shit like what's happening in Texas. Women need to own this issue if they're to seriously break this impasse. They need to be fearless and unapologetic about it.

Gay people can now get married in about 9 states. They wouldn't be enjoying this right today if they were silent, obedient mice.They "came out" of the closet, and owned up to their sexuality. And they spent decade challenging the status quo. Because of the shifting generational demographics, it is going to be a harder sell to convince younger voters on the wisdom of denying gay people the right to marry on account of religious belief. That's a testament to their willingness to come forward and testify on their own behalf.

Likewise, women need to seriously take a page from the gay rights handbook, imo. I empathize with the argument that women who have abortions are entitled to anonymity, and I would respect that too. But seriously, the way this issue keeps going back and forth with antichoice politicians passing b.s. laws like mandatory ultrasounds, etc... I think it might benefit the prochoice movement to assess their losses, and try to evaluate why they seem to be hitting a wall in off election seasons.

Ironically the people who get the most abortions are mothers not "sluts." So really the dialogue should be about them and embracing their choice. What will the republicans do in the face of that? Can't do shit. Many of them are married with children and simply don't want another child. Or there is something seriously wrong with the pregnancy. But these people don't care. They want to control uteruses and that's why everyone who gets an abortion needs to talk about it so that obvious agenda becomes more obvious. It's not about quality of life, it's about control. You can't tell me someone who elects to delay their motherhood is a bad person. They are a responsible smart person who for their own private reasons got pregnant and doesn't want to remain pregnant. That's what the discussion has to entail, not shame, not religious guilt but the honest choices one has to make for their life. Electing to delay a pregnancy is one of the BEST FUCKING CHOICES a woman can make for herself and for society. So fuck the GOP and fuck people who would vote to take that choice away.

Please tell me there is an easy way to prove whether or not it happened after midnight..? Like, a recording.. something? They honestly can't just pretend it did and have it pass, right?

Enron

Banned
Actually that last part just got thrown out this morning. Still incredibly unethical either way

No, it did not. The formula for prequalification in the 16 states specifically named by the VRA (submission for review by the Federal Government) got thrown out. It can still be struck down via court challenge.

Pastry

Banned
Starting to pop up all over my Facebook.

tTnJuNI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom