• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
BNqX9UPCcAAbSAb.jpg

Hand-cuffed and shoved out. They are arresting elderly women. #standwithwendy #sb5 pic.twitter.com/is6JZKZA8C

damn

Probably women my mom's age who fought for Roe v Wade while these people shit all over it.

RyanDG

So fuck the GOP and fuck people who would vote to take that choice away.

What's worse to me is that the GOP and religious right also try their best to stigmatize and and remove sex education in schools and limit contraception in the same breath of attempting to also remove choice for women in terms of abortion. If they were being intellectually honest, if they were wanting to remove choice, you would think that they would be supporting any program that would help lead to less abortions (ie, sex education from an earlier age and easier access to contraceptives).

Alexlf

I guess I missed all the drama. So consensus is that she stood her ground, but they broke all the rules and passed it anyways?

He's telling someone to put it away.

Lots saying it was past midnight, which would invalidate the vote. They are deliberating on it now.

Talon

I can't even fathom how Rick Perry thinks this shit helps his inevitable 2016 presidential run.
I was actually pretty surprised to hear Texans despise Rick Perry. They think he's a moron, plus he didn't ingratiate himself by trying to pay for his budget deficit by cutting into education (vis-a-vis full-time teachers).

As a Democrat, I believe you should probably not even be voting.
What? That is the Republican Party's platform. Votes speak louder than bold proclamations of "I'm a moderate, so I'm above it all!" If ultimately you're voting for Romney and Perry and all the other GOP assclowns you're no less right-wing than they are.

What's worse to me is that the GOP and religious right also to their best to stigmatize and and remove sex education in schools and limit contraception in the same breath of attempting to also remove choice for women in terms of abortion. If they were being intellectually honest, if they were wanting to remove choice, you would think that they would be supporting any program that would help lead to less abortions (ie, sex education from an earlier age and easier access to contraceptives).

Well that's the thing, it's just a measure of control, not a real solution to decreasing abortions.

Aaron

Republicans are at odds with each other. To completely stereotype them is some absolute ignorance.
It's amazing then how when it comes to a vote they always fall in with the party line. Lemmings probably argue too. It doesn't matter when they all go over the cliff together.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I was actually pretty surprised to hear Texans despise Rick Perry. They think he's a moron, plus he didn't ingratiate himself by trying to pay for his budget deficit by cutting into education (vis-a-vis full-time teachers).

The West fertilizer explosion also did him no favors. A big part of his platform is deregulation.

pigeon

Banned
It's not representative, which has obviously been a problem.

If you're not represented by the official Republican platform, in what sense are (generic) you a Republican? In the sense that you vote for GOP candidates to enact policies you disagree with? Why?

It's not representative, which has obviously been a problem.

it's "not representative" insofar as we're assuming moderate republicans are more than a sizable minority within the party if they haven't already switched to the democrats, given that that platform had to be approved by people representative of a majority within the GOP

Looking like this won't be resolved tonight one way or the other. Or perhaps it did pass and its the bill's legality which will be challenged (was it after 12 or not?). It was nice to be part of the Gaf zeitgeist as this whole thing went down though.

Forever

Banned
Do you think the entire Republican party and all of its representatives created that website?

A representative majority of them certainly did create the PARTY PLATFORM.

Do you even know what that is? Are you under the impression that it's just some website?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Do you think the entire Republican party and all of its representatives created that website?

They voted on that platform at their convention. It's their national platform. Everyone running supports it unless they specifically come out and say they don't. At which point they aren't really Republicans.

Enron

Banned
What? That is the Republican Party's platform. Votes speak louder than bold proclamations of "I'm a moderate, so I'm above it all!" If ultimately you're voting for Romney and Perry and all the other GOP assclowns you're no less right-wing than they are.

What's funny is that actual Tea Party Conservatives (you know, the people that you allege that the Republican Party is 100% comprised of) can't stand Mitt Romney, believe themselves to be the soul of the Republican Party, and that the majority of the Republican Party are RINO Moderates that only listen to them when convenient. Also those said RINOs need to be "purged" or "have the party taken back from".

SummitAve

Banned
it's "not representative" insofar as we're assuming moderate republicans are more than a sizable minority within the party if they haven't already switched to the democrats

It's not representative insofar as we are assuming that moderate republicans are at least part of the party. The original dude I called out failed to even recognize their existence and literally stated that every republican a tea party member. Which even as a Democrat myself I find silly.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 24m
Deuell and other GOP sens: SB5 passed 17-12. #txlege

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 5m
Patrick: SB5 passed, 19-10. #txlege

We don't even know the proper count for the vote that might not have legally happened

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's amazing then how when it comes to a vote they always fall in with the party line. Lemmings probably argue too. It doesn't matter when they all go over the cliff together.

So you are saying the GOP is a pack of small rodents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom