• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Then much like the Republican party, you need to work on clarifying your message.

...ummm its pretty clear what I said. Is english not your first language?

If I was calling the pack small, the small would be before pack, not after pack and before rodent. How do adjectives work?

Neither did I! We were doing client work in Houston for an unnamed oil company, and these older folks (everyone in that office was 60 or older) were all about recycling.

I was surprised.

I work at a printing company and we can't recycle. We want to recycle, but there is no city or private infrastructure set up for paper recycling so we throw out hundreds of pounds of paper every month. This needs to be changed.

iammeiam

bullshit. they ignored rules and never voted to end the filibuster. AP is trash, as always
The chair at one point said that the sustaining of the third violation automatically ended the filibuster based on the earlier outline, no vote or ruling required. This was around when he started shutting off mics and stopped caring about rules at all.

KidOmega

My buddy works in the Texas senate. He is telling me that the Republicans turned the mics off on the filibustering democrats when it seemed that they would succeed with the filibuster.

Toa TAK

Banned
9HMWyQO.gif

Triggered too many 9/11 memories. No wonder he didn't become president.

On a serious note, Twitter is great right now, and I'm loving Joss Whedon's tweet.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 1m
Hearing that Senate GOP leaders plan to count SB5 vote. Dems say they didn't vote on bill, even though their votes were counted. #txlege

sangreal

The chair at one point said that the sustaining of the third violation automatically ended the filibuster based on the earlier outline, no vote or ruling required. This was around when he started shutting off mics and stopped caring about rules at all.

Right, he said that, but it was contrary to his earlier rulings. Again, they have no obligation to follow the rules since they're only enforced by majority vote, but the AP shouldn't be covering for them

Also, it was later pointed out that there were only 2 relevant violations -- the assistance violation should not be counted towards the 3 so the original ruling by the Chair really was wrong, but it doesn't really matter anyway since they could've raised 3 germaneness point of orders at the start of the day and sustained them all

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
bullshit. they ignored rules and never voted to end the filibuster. AP is trash, as always

I could be mis-remembering, but I believe that the president responded (rightly or wrongly) to a procedural question that a vote on the appeal of the Lt. Gov's ruling that Davis had received her third warning was--effectively--a vote to end the filibuster.

Whether that is correct I sure as hell don't know, but I wouldn't simply accept the president or even the parliamentarian's word on it without reading the relevant rules.

kierwynn

Neither did I! We were doing client work in Houston for an unnamed oil company, and these older folks (everyone in that office was 60 or older) were all about recycling.

I was surprised.

That's certainly not the case everywhere. I live in SE Texas, and no body around here recycles. I didn't even realize it was a thing in Houston, but I don't go to Houston often. It could just be that SE TX is lazy. lol

mackaveli

Hearing that Senate GOP leaders plan to count SB5 vote. Dems say they didn't vote on bill, even though their votes were counted. #txlege

Yeah like did the democrats even cast a vote? Or did they just assume they said no? What if they were like I wanted to vote yes on the bill but I wasn't even asked.

Slacker

@mikestatesman
Whitmire: The vote did not start until 12:02, after midnight. It's in the journal. Vote on SB5 doesn't count.

Well that's the thing, it's just a measure of control, not a real solution to decreasing abortions.

The thing is, I don't think that most of these lawmakers care about the religious right's moral agenda to the point that they would personally adhere to these laws. I don't believe for one second that if they had a daughter with an unwanted pregnancy, they would be denied a safe and legal one outside the public eye. They just want to keep the issue because they know it moves numbers among the religious brain dead drones. They rode the anti-gay canard for decades. Now that it's running out of steam, they're shifting their attention onto the abortion issue. The GOP's "autopsy" report addressed everything except for the elephant in the room. They blame the "war on women" meme, but they refused to address their policies over the past decade alone. Interestingly, they acknowledged that they need more positive outreach to gay people, and for conservatives to disengage on the whole gay marriage issue. I personally believe that if they are going to eventually abandon the gay marriage issue, they won't do it without ratcheting up on another social issue -- i.e. abortion.

Gallery cleared by troopers. Senate plans to reconvene in a while. West plans to question validity of SB5. Senate has not adjourned. #txlege

RyanDG

This is crazy.

All proceedings on the floor are recorded. How do they NOT know what time things happened?

The issue comes up when there was some question as to which motions were being voted on and when. The entire time line of the last 45 minutes of the session was completely shady, filled with rules violations, and roll call votes without clear indication on what the votes were on.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@mikestatesman 10:39 PM
Whitmire: The vote did not start until 12:02, after midnight. It's in the journal. Vote on SB5 doesn't count. #txlege

AMUSIX

So to be a Democrat I have to be on board and associated with everything stated in the party platform?

Summit, I think the issue here is they're talking about elected republican officials, of which there are essentially no moderates at the federal level, and only a tiny percentage at the state level.

You seem to be talking about the electorate. The problem is, it doesn't matter how moderate an individual is, if they keep voting for the party that doesn't allow moderate voices, then their voice is far-right by proxy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The thing is, I don't think that most of these lawmakers care about the religious right's moral agenda to the point that they would personally adhere to these laws. I don't believe for one second that if they had a daughter with an unwanted pregnancy, they would be denied a safe and legal one outside the public eye. They just want to keep the issue because they know it moves numbers among the religious brain dead drones. They rode the anti-gay canard for decades. Now that it's running out of steam, they're shifting their attention onto the abortion issue. The GOP's "autopsy" report addressed everything except for the elephant in the room. They blame the "war on women" meme, but they refused to address their policies over the past decade alone. Interestingly, they acknowledged that they need more positive outreach to gay people, and for conservatives to disengage on the whole gay marriage issue. I personally believe that if they are going to eventually abandon the gay marriage issue, they won't do it without ratcheting up on another social issue -- i.e. abortion.

Eh, that probably varies from lawmaker to lawmaker. Some drink the koolaid, some just use the koolaid to attain power.

Sibylus

Banned
Hilarious idea of democracy: One party gets the privilege of voting and the other the privilege of watching.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This is an epic fail in long term thinking by republicans... holy shit.

Just fucking vote on it next time.

No, instead create this circus, and go on the record.

Plaguefox

Summit, I think the issue here is they're talking about elected republican officials, of which there are essentially no moderates at the federal level, and only a tiny percentage at the state level.

You seem to be talking about the electorate. The problem is, it doesn't matter how moderate an individual is, if they keep voting for the party that doesn't allow moderate voices, then their voice is far-right by proxy.
Hush, you don't know what you're talking about, remember?

Forever

Banned
So to be a Democrat I have to be on board and associated with everything stated in the party platform?
The party platform is an expression of the party's constituency. If you disagree with its central tenets then it is self evident that you're not really a meaningful member of that party and should probably look into being independent. Every reasonable Republican went that route or Libertarian. There is no moderate faction within the GOP. It does not exist. Period.

Whitmire: The vote did not start until 12:02, after midnight. It's in the journal. Vote on SB5 doesn't count. #txlege

Patrick: There was a vote on SB5. The bill passed. #txlege

lol

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 4m
Whitmire says Senate timestamp shows #SB5 vote began at 12:02, that legal? "No it's not" #txlege

SNAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom