• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Eh, Texans are an odd beast. They're far more zealous about environmentalism than any other group of people I've met, even Oregonians.

And, of course, this seems so contradictory considering, you know, the whole "oil" deal.

They love their public spaces, arboreums and recycling. It's like the one beacon of recycling across the entire south. I don't think I've seen a single public recycling bin in the state of Georgia.

It's not representative insofar as we are assuming that moderate republicans are at least part of the party. The original dude I called out failed to even recognize their existence and call literally every republican a tea party member. Which even as a Democrat myself I find silly.

well, i suppose that's a fair point

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 1m
West: The vote on SB5 is void. The constitutionality will be challenged. We weren't in session. #txlege

United States Supreme Court, here we come.

This is going to look UGLY for the Republicans once the whole story comes out as this thing wends it's way towards it's inevitable Supreme Court challenge.

kirblar

it's "not representative" insofar as we're assuming moderate republicans are more than a sizable minority within the party if they haven't already switched to the democrats, given that that platform had to be approved by people representative of a majority within the GOP
There's a gigantic number of people who identify as "independent" (but who really aren't, because they vote GOP party line) due to the GOP's toxic image and social associations now.

Dartastic

Please give me a reason to be proud of this country. This kind of BS is shameful.
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha. With all the shit that's happened over the past couple weeks (PRISM, today's 5-4 ruling, and now this) there is no fucking way I have ANY sense of pride in my country.

pigeon

Banned
It's not representative insofar as we are assuming that moderate republicans are at least part of the party. The original dude I called out failed to even recognize their existence and call literally every republican a tea party member. Which even as a Democrat myself I find silly.

Lie down with dogs.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha. With all the shit that's happened over the past couple weeks (PRISM, today's 5-4 ruling, and now this) there is no fucking way I have ANY sense of pride in my country.

There's always the Gay Marriage ruling tomorrow? I don't hold out a lot of hope though.

There's a gigantic number of people who identify as "independent" (but who really aren't, because they vote GOP party line) due to the GOP's toxic image and social associations now.

aren't there about as many "dem-leaner" independents now on the national level, though?

(maybe not in texas but that's a whole different animal for probably the next 11-odd years)

Enron

Banned
Eh, Texans are an odd beast. They're far more zealous about environmentalism than any other group of people I've met, even Oregonians.

And, of course, this seems so contradictory considering, you know, the whole "oil" deal.

They love their public spaces, arboreums and recycling. It's like the one beacon of recycling across the entire south. I don't think I've seen a single public recycling bin in the state of Georgia.

Don't Mess With Texas!

Forever

Banned
It's not representative insofar as we are assuming that moderate republicans are at least part of the party.

You thought the Republican Party Platform was just some website. I don't think your opinion on this subject carries much weight. Your vision of a meaningful moderate faction within the GOP is not borne out by the facts. There is no evidence for it. You want it to exist but it simply doesn't.

cashman

Banned

Really? I didn't know recycling was so huge in Texas comparitively speaking.

kirblar

aren't there about as many "dem-leaner" independents now on the national level, though?

(maybe not in texas but that's a whole different animal for probably the next 11-odd years)
Nope. Dems have stayed steady/gained a little bit. The swell in "independents" over the past decade has come entirely at the expense of the GOP.

This tips the Jenga tower for me.

9HMWyQO.gif

They are ignoring moderates and focusing on the attention of the tea party. For example look at the CPAC speakers.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/28958/cpac-2013-list-of-speakers-proves-gop-conference-is-stuck-in-the-past

Talon

Really? I didn't know recycling was so huge in Texas comparitively speaking.
Neither did I! We were doing client work in Houston for an unnamed oil company, and these older folks (everyone in that office was 60 or older) were all about recycling.

I was surprised.

Cartman86

Banned
From my memory of watching it live. Two minutes after midnight a bunch (all?) senators went up to the front of the room and were crowded together. Raising their hands while the role call lady was saying names. What does that mean? Was that a vote or something else?

Enron

Banned
oohhhhhh so that's what it means. i always thought it meant i couldn't push them around. now i know better.

"Don't Mess With Texas" started as the state's anti-littering campaign. Most people around the country think its just some bullshit arrogant texans like wearing on a tshirt.

12:27 a.m. BY BECCA AARONSON
When the clock struck midnight, Republican senators were gathered around the dais attempting to vote on Senate Bill 5. It's still unclear whether they were successful.

The protesters seated in the gallery erupted roughly 10 minutes before midnight, and screamed so loudly that the floor proceedings couldn't be heard.

State Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, told the press, "we started voting before midnight," and therefore, it counted. But state Sen. Royce West, D-Dallas, said, "the session is over with...it's over with at midnight," and so, the vote didn't count.
http://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/24/dems-approach-abortion-victory-special-session-wan/#liveblog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom