• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKLAC

tumblr_mozf5uz5CO1r0nqb4o1_500.png

died.

What a disgrace. Quite the mockery of the democratic process on display tonight in Texas.

The crowds in the gallery (yes, they meant well) should have been dispersed and shown the door when they got unruly and were distrupting the proceedings. They looked like an uncivilized mob out there, heckling and shouting.

Democracy delayed is Democracy denied. Just that this time around it was for a good purpose. The other side can also employ their own agents and easily resort to such thuggish tactics to prevent other bills from being voted on the next time around.

Just remember that.

With all due respect, the gallery was composed and fine until the GOP chair opted to ignore the rules completely, despite being confronted with them, for an hour in an attempt to RAM the bill through against the procedure of the chamber and thus your argument is not a good one.

The unruly crowd wasn't trying to stop a bad bill, they were trying to prevent the GOP circumventing rules to pass something undemocratically,

Just saw two tweets I wanted to repost here real quick.

are people seriously making this into a "lol the south!!!" thing
texas isn't happy, we just heard them

Texas is not the Texas Legislature.

Come on. Overall Texas probably agrees with this law among other ridiculous things. Texas is...well, Texas. Big, dumb, and very red.

Tonight's events will likely have more impact outside of Texas than inside, unless we see a truly Herculean effort to recruit unregistered voters, specifically Hispanics.

Talon

There are some logical arguments against paper recycling, however other forms of recycling, especially metals, are 100% worth it.
Yeah, actually, I should say that some recycling creates more pollution and is costly but, hey, it's hard to say that we prefer turning to new stock.

Come on. Overall Texas probably agrees with this law among other ridiculous things. Texas is...well, Texas. Big, dumb, and very red.

Tonight's events will likely have more impact outside of Texas than inside, unless we see a truly Herculean effort to recruit unregistered voters, specifically Hispanics.

I'm pretty sure I saw people posting stats that over 80% of voters in Texas didn't support the bill. Let me go try to find them.

Velcro Fly

There is no way it passed. The AP should get torched for running with only that as a source. I have no doubt it will be back again anyway though.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 25s
Hearing that time stamp on vote to call previous question was 12:59, and vote on SB 5 was after midnight. #txlege
yesssss

Recent bipartisan poll showed 80% were against them voting on this bill..

Okay, it wasn't a stat on the bill per se, it was whether it should be considered during the special session. So probably not anywhere near that high in terms of the bill in the abstract.

Most Texas residents don’t support Senate Bill 5, the omnibus anti-abortion bill currently advancing in the legislature, according to a new bipartisan poll. In fact, 80 percent of Texans don’t want their lawmakers to be considering abortion-related bills during the special session that Gov. Rick Perry (R) convene

Dartastic

@dustinparkes Sorry Miami Heat. After the buzzer sounded, San Antonio made ten straight buckets and are now NBA champs. #TexasRules

ROFL

... =(

What a disgrace. Quite the mockery of the democratic process on display tonight in Texas.

The crowds in the gallery (yes, they meant well) should have been dispersed and shown the door when they got unruly and were distrupting the proceedings. They looked like an uncivilized mob out there, heckling and shouting.

Democracy delayed is Democracy denied. Just that this time around it was for a good purpose. The other side can also employ their own agents and easily resort to such thuggish tactics to prevent other bills from being voted on the next time around.

Just remember that.

No. This is democracy in action. Most of Texas is against this bill but the Repulicans couldn't care less. People made their voices heard in THE PEOPLES HOUSE. This was an event that displayed democracy at it's finest and it's unfortunate that you don't recognize it.

Okay, it wasn't a stat on the bill per se, it was whether it should be considered during the special session. So probably not anywhere near that high in terms of the bill in the abstract.

63% believe the state shouldn't restrict abortion anymore in that survey. Not quite 80% but a large majority.

Also, the direct bill, is not supported by the majority.

alstein

2014 could be interesting- voters are furious in NC and now TX, and isn't Walker up in WI.

Dems really need to try hard in 2014- they could make something happen.

Angry Fork

Just remember that.

Fuck this shit. You should be ashamed, this is the kind of reasoning that kills protests all over. More and more people should get angry and disrupt all order with their bodies when misery and poverty for millions are on the line.

Tendo

2014 could be interesting- voters are furious in NC and now TX, and isn't Walker up in WI.

Dems really need to try hard in 2014- they could make something happen.

Furious in NC. Trust me. To the point that I want to leave the state. But I won't. Not yet.

Sibylus

Banned
If the politicians won't represent the people, then who will represent them if not the people? Telling that you speak nothing of misconduct first launched by those on the floor, and leave all your chastisement to the people who evidently don't approve of the circus meant to emulate their will and approval.

Koomaster

So officially the vote took place after midnight. So are they just going to throw that rule out now too? And if not, what are they still in there debating and why did they cut the feed?

I probably had like half a dozen friends in the gallery. I don't think any of them were arrested. I'm very thankful for their efforts and the efforts of select senators, especially Wendy Davis.

haha, read this random tweet:

Another great day for men!

:(

Well there you go, my bad for not following through the link and just using the quote.

The quote firmly establishes very few people wanted this brought up in the special session. There has to be backlash for the way this went down.

sangreal

Honestly, that was CLEARLY what it sounded like to me. So it was strange when people were saying it passed.

My confusion was/is that on the motion to table, while Watson was giving his closing on the motion to appeal, Estes interrupted and filed a motion to call the previous question to a vote (motion to table). They voted and passed the motion to table and then voted to deny the appeal. Then a motion to call the previous question (which I thought was a motion to pass SB5 -- or was it a procedural motion?) was filed again. They had the inquiries about breaking the rules and not letting the woman file any motions etc, and the crowd started shouting but they counted the votes and announced it past. Fast forward to midnight, they rammed through another vote.

What was the previous question they voted on?

mackaveli

Even though this is only in Texas, the fact that a shit show occurred and a lot of people are tweeting about this should bring more awareness and discussions and debate etc., and hopefully help in the future.

One can only hope.

Enron

Banned
Fuck this shit. You should be ashamed, this is the kind of reasoning that kills protests all over. More and more people should get angry and disrupt all order with their bodies when misery and poverty for millions are on the line.

So, rule by whoever screams the loudest and might get the most violent? Yeah, no thanks.

Keio

For a Finer World
Wow. Woke up at 0645 CET and spent an hour following this. Here's hoping justice and democracy prevailed over sad old men.

pigeon

Banned
My confusion was/is that on the motion to table, while Watson was giving his closing on the motion to appeal, Estes interrupted and filed a motion to call the previous question to a vote (motion to table). They voted and passed the motion to table and then voted to deny the appeal. Then a motion to call the previous question (which I thought was a motion to pass SB5 -- or was it a procedural motion?) was filed again. They had the inquiries about breaking the rules and not letting the woman file any motions etc, and the crowd started shouting but they counted the votes and announced it past. Fast forward to midnight, they rammed through another vote.

What was the previous question they voted on?

Moving the previous question is a motion to immediately vote on a bill. It's a necessary step before actually voting on a bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom