• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

@mikestatesman 10:39 PM
Whitmire: The vote did not start until 12:02, after midnight. It's in the journal. Vote on SB5 doesn't count. #txlege

We need a new system. GAF now decides all bills and legislature. Enable the polls, Bish. Get the fucking lawnmower out. IT'S TIME TO RULE.

liquidtmd

Banned
The issue comes up when there was some question as to which motions were being voted on and when. The entire time line of the last 45 minutes of the session was completely shady, filled with rules violations, and roll call votes without clear indication on what the votes were on.

Exactly - so even if the vote took place at 11.59am which according to the journal it didnt, I don't understand how it can be deemed to be cleared if so many violations took place before hand

Summit, I think the issue here is they're talking about elected republican officials, of which there are essentially no moderates at the federal level, and only a tiny percentage at the state level.

You seem to be talking about the electorate. The problem is, it doesn't matter how moderate an individual is, if they keep voting for the party that doesn't allow moderate voices, then their voice is far-right by proxy.

Eloquently said.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That seems unintuitive if not absurd.

There are some logical arguments against paper recycling, however other forms of recycling, especially metals, are 100% worth it.

Alexlf

I've got work in 5 hours, and I really gotta sleep, but I refuse to until this is all sorted out. This is mini-history in the making.

If the vote really did occur at 12:02am after the deadline, the GOP trying to force it through for all to see will be even worse optics. Lying about it.

Fuck these guys.

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 1m
Sen West: If #txlege accepts vote on #SB5 tonight, it could be challenged in court b/c it was approved after midnight deadline

Where is Davis, btw? She must be gassed.

What a disgrace. Quite the mockery of the democratic process on display tonight in Texas.

The crowds in the gallery (yes, they meant well) should have been dispersed and shown the door when they got unruly and were distrupting the proceedings. They looked like an uncivilized mob out there, heckling and shouting.

Democracy delayed is Democracy denied. Just that this time around it was for a good purpose. The other side can also employ their own agents and easily resort to such thuggish tactics to prevent other bills from being voted on the next time around.

Just remember that.

That seems unintuitive if not absurd.

we agree, but our only given solution is to drive all of our paper ~100 miles to the nearest paper refinery, and we don't have company trucks large enough to do it. It sucks because the town next door has city recycling, but for city residents only

SummitAve

Banned
The party platform is an expression of the party's constituency. If you disagree with its central tenets then it is self evident that you're not really a meaningful member of that party and should probably look into being independent. Every reasonable Republican went that route or Libertarian. There is no moderate faction within the GOP. It does not exist. Period.

You changed everything to central tenets. Which is it?

sangreal

I could be mis-remembering, but I believe that the president responded (rightly or wrongly) to a procedural question that a vote on the appeal of the Lt. Gov's ruling that Davis had received her third warning was--effectively--a vote to end the filibuster.

Whether that is correct I sure as hell don't know, but I wouldn't simply accept the president or even the parliamentarian's word on it without reading the relevant rules.

It is what they were appealing in the first place. The chair originally said there would be a vote but then ruled that his decision was final and that ruling was appealed. They voted to overturn the appeal just because they can. That doesn't really bother me, but the AP is wrong to say that the Republicans were citing rules. They simply chose to ignore them, as they are allowed to (at least the internal rules -- the 30 day time limit may be a bigger issue)

cashman

Banned
tumblr_mozf5uz5CO1r0nqb4o1_500.png

So putting aside the timing question, assuming the Democrats are correct and they did not have their votes actually counted, how could there be a record of a vote in the computer? As ugly as it got, it seems extremely implausible that the republicans would dare to guess the vote tally and try to put in the computer before midnight, although that could explain the discrepancy between initial reports on the vote tally. Or do the democrats just mean that their votes were not counted before midnight?

RyanDG

Summit, I think the issue here is they're talking about elected republican officials, of which there are essentially no moderates at the federal level, and only a tiny percentage at the state level.

Personally, it may just be in my state, but it seems that at the state level, the congressmen and senators are even more radical than on the federal level.

What a disgrace. Quite the mockery of the democratic process on display tonight in Texas.

The crowds (yes, they meant well) should have been dispersed and shown the door when they got unruly and were distrupting the proceedings. They looked like an uncivilized mob out there, heckling and shouting.

Democracy delayed is Democracy denied. Just that this time around it was for a good purpose. The other side can also employ their own agents and easily resort to such thuggish tactics to prevent other bills from being voted on the next time around.

Just remember that.

I have no problem with unruly crowds on either side if the majority is just going to throw-out and ignore rules like that

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The crowds (yes, they meant well) should have been dispersed and shown the door when they got unruly and were distrupting the proceedings. They looked like an uncivilized mob out there, heckling and shouting.

Just remember that.

Oh plz like the the thing wasnt a sham well before the cheering started.

AMUSIX

Personally, it may just be in my state, but it seems that at the state level, the congressmen and senators are even more radical than on the federal level.

This seems to be the case largely in GOP controlled states...those states where Republicans hold the Governor's mansion and majorities in both houses of the State Senate.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It's amazing then how when it comes to a vote they always fall in with the party line. Lemmings probably argue too. It doesn't matter when they all go over the cliff together.

Oh come now, this sort of comparison is completely inappropriate. The reputation of lemmings as suicidal is not based in reality at all, and perceptions to the contrary derive more or less entirely from a falsified documentary from the 50's.

The reputation of the modern Republican party, by contrast, is well-earned.

bonercop

Just remember that.

Oh come the fuck on, this is a great example of how elites have managed to mollify and defang the American people.

Protest, in a lot of cases, is the only real way to have your voice heard in politics. It's the only way to put pressure on your leaders and It's the one thing the people have that can act as a counterbalance to private interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom