• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velcro Fly

So, rule by whoever screams the loudest and might get the most violent? Yeah, no thanks.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Get off your high horse. What you want is rule by whichever side ignores the most rules.

Honestly, he's not worth responding too. He's pretty much admitted that he only comes into these types of threads to offer up devils advocate stances. I learned my lesson awhile ago to simply not get into it with him.

sangreal

Moving the previous question is a motion to immediately vote on a bill. It's a necessary step before actually voting on a bill.

Ah yeah, I thought that that was the case, but I was confused by the earlier motion to table and thought that the motion to call the previous question at that time counted as the vote to table, but I realize now (after your post) that I counted killing the appeal twice (the second vote was on the motion to table, that was called to a vote by the previous motion). Thanks

NBC, Guardian, and Fort Star Telegram (texas paper) dispute republican claim of passage. Only AP is standing with them.

ChrisTomlinson ‏@cltomlinson 4m
The official Senate record says it passed. So only a lawsuit can reverse that. #sb5 #txlege

GOP don't give a fuck. This will have to go to court, now.

Enron

Banned
No strawman - that's exactly what the poster was arguing for. Not getting our way? Scream and kick and shut down the process.

I think GAF has made the mistake (along with most everyone watching that stream) of thinking that the people in the gallery are representative of the People of Texas as a whole. I am pretty sure that they are not, and instead are just the more motivated folks on this issue. If the vote did occur after midnight it will be because of external interference, not the will of the people of Texas, and the bill will come back either in another special legislative session or during the next proper one.

devilhawk

Let's Bleeding Kansas this shit. America, love it or move here (and bring guns)

Yeah! We celebrate it in our Capital building
curry_tragic_prelude.jpg

Angry Fork

No strawman - that's exactly what the poster was arguing for. Not getting our way? Scream and kick and shut down the process.

Like I said before, this is taking away rights from women, will create poverty, and is theocratic. You're goddamned right they should shut down the process. And it's on you to explain why they shouldn't.

The quote firmly establishes very few people wanted this brought up in the special session. There has to be backlash for the way this went down.

Yeah, after rereading it, it's clear that the 80% stat is not related to the previous sentence about the bill not having popular support. For whatever reason I thought the 80% was in relation to the bill's overall support, so when someone mentioned Texas supported the bill overall and I said I thought it was the opposite and tried to find that post, I misread it again.

mackaveli

I think GAF has made the mistake (along with most everyone watching that stream) of thinking that the people in the gallery are representative of the People of Texas as a whole. I am pretty sure that they are not, and instead are just the more motivated folks on this issue. If the vote did occur after midnight it will be because of external interference, not the will of the people of Texas, and the bill will come back either in another special legislative session or during the next proper one.

But the rules weren't being followed so who else should stand up if the Republican's were ignoring the rules but the people of the state?

I would agree if everything was being followed and the rules were being upheld that no outside interference should occur.

But when you have rules not being followed then I can't agree with you. Where is the accountability of the people in power if they can ignore the rules and then its no longer a democracy.

Zaptruder

Banned

If tyrants are stealing away due process from the people by ignoring the rules that they themselves have established and the rest of us have played by, kicking and screaming is the bare minimum that a vigilant citizenship must pursue.

Maybe guns from the militia should've been involved to overthrow the tyrants, but that's not really how the blue team rolls.

Yeah, after rereading it, it's clear that the 80% stat is not related to the previous sentence about the bill not having popular support. For whatever reason I thought the 80% was in relation to the bill's overall support, so when someone mentioned Texas supported the bill overall and I said I thought it was the opposite and tried to find that post, I misread it again.

A majority is still against the bill according to the same poll - question 10 indicates 51% in opposition to 42% in favour.

Did you watch what happened? The GOP intentionally ignored all the rules, even when directed towards them, to UNETHICALLY shut down the filibuster.

She violated no rule the 3rd time. She did not violate 3 germaneness rules even if she had, only 2. They took the floor away from Watson when it was his to allow a motion to table out of order. They literally cut off the mikes of the Democrats to prevent them from making a motion or inquiry.

The GOP fucking broke every rule in their books for how to proceed in order to get a vote on this bill. The gallery recognized this and tried their best to stop the GOP from making a mockery of the process.

But you want to blame them? Fuck that bullshit. The Republicans acted like fucking fascists to pass their fascist policies.

Alexlf

Like I said before, this is taking away rights from women, will create poverty, and theocratic. You're goddamned right they should shut down the process.

That's not even the problem. The senate literally broke their own rules, and acknowledged it, but didn't care and just went on as if nothing happened.

EDIT: Obviously they are problems, just not why acting out like that was justified.

pigeon

Banned
I think GAF has made the mistake (along with most everyone watching that stream) of thinking that the people in the gallery are representative of the People of Texas as a whole. I am pretty sure that they are not, and instead are just the more motivated folks on this issue.

It's baffling to me that you keep posting this when it's been pointed out repeatedly in this thread that a majority of Texans don't support the passing of this bill in this session (and many don't want it passed at all).

Yeah, watching these people streaming using their phones is pretty amazing. I really should look into installing one of those live streaming apps on my phone, in case I ever end up somewhere where I witness a defining moment in history and need to stream it to the world.

Did you watch what happened? The GOP intentionally ignored all the rules, even when directed towards them, to UNETHICALLY shut down the filibuster.

She violated no rule the 3rd time. She did not violate 3 germaneness rules even if she had, only 2. They took the floor away from Watson when it was his to allow a motion to table out of order. They literally cut off the mikes of the Democrats to prevent them from making a motion or inquiry.

The GOP fucking broke every rule in their books for how to proceed in order to get a vote on this bill. The gallery recognized this and tried their best to stop the GOP from making a mockery of the process.

But you want to blame them? Fuck that bullshit. The Republicans acted like fucking fascists to pass their fascist policies.

It's baffling to me that you keep posting this when it's been pointed out repeatedly in this thread that 83% of Texans don't support the passing of this bill in this session (and 63% don't want it passed at all).

How you both haven't figured out Enron is a troll by now is beyond me. Unless you enjoy debating for the hell of debate, you're wasting your time and energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom