• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned

Yes, in a special legislative session. The question is quite specific.

Abortion is one of the issues where there's no clear "for" or "against" - people's responses to the question fall into buckets like the following -
"totally against in all cases"
"against, except in certain cases"
"totally for"
"for, but with certain restrictions"
etc etc.

I would argue that given Texas' political makeup, there's more people that lean at least slightly pro-life than pro-choice when the numbers are tallied, and I think it reflects in the legislature as well.

Sorry, but I'm not trolling. Unless the definition of "trolling" has become "disagreeing with the popular opinion on GAF". I definitely haven't been malicious about it, nor have I even told you how I feel about this issue. Mostly just taking issue with assertions of importance, what Texans are like, and a bunch of other things that I think are misconceptions or mischaracterizations in this thread.

Shit, most of my posts were laughing at the circus along with the rest of you.

jaxword

They've been recorded doing it. They're were camera filming and recording them. Surely, SURELY they can't get away with this?

I don't know, do you think they will? Who's going to stop them?

Supposedly a bigger pic:

TOvZ1Fy.jpg

Here's hoping for some answers by the time I wake up. Best of luck to you all.

Edit: Holy fuck, confirmed. What the shit. Will pay very close attention to this tomorrow.

sangreal

But the rules weren't being followed so who else should stand up if the Republican's were ignoring the rules but the people of the state?

I would agree if everything was being followed and the rules were being upheld that no outside interference should occur.

But when you have rules not being followed then I can't agree with you. Where is the accountability of the people in power if they can ignore the rules and then its no longer a democracy.

Ignoring the Senate rules (not the 30 day stuff) has nothing to do with being a democracy. They're just procedural rules adopted by the majority in the first place. As happened throughout the night, any violations can be appealed but they're voted on by the body and the majority would rather pass the bill than respect their rules. There isn't really any violation of principles here either -- the body is meant to be majority rules. You can argue improprieties in the actual voting (eg the senate wasn't in session), but you won't get anywhere arguing that it shouldn't have been brought to a vote. If anything, preventing a vote is the anti-democratic (not synonymous with wrong) option

e: I think it is bullshit that they violated the rules, but I don't think it is has anything to do with being democratic

Yes, in a special legislative session. The question is quite specific.

Abortion is one of the issues where there's no "for" or "against" - people's responses to the question fall into buckets like the following -
"totally against in all cases"
"against, except in certain cases"
"totally for"
"for, but with certain restrictions"
etc etc.

I would argue that given Texas' political makeup, there's more people that lean at least slightly pro-life than pro-choice when the numbers are tallied, and I think it reflects in the legislature as well.

And I would argue that given that the answers to the previous four questions in the same poll would indicate a majority leaning against SB5 even outside of the special session, your argument is exceedingly unlikely to be practically true.

Goldrush

This couldn't have gone any better for the Democrats. The bill was (is?) going to pass no matter what. Maybe not yesterday, but soon. Filibuster was a move to drum up debate and support. Now, with the craziness of the last hour, the chanting of the crowd, and the ambiguity of the result, there's enough news fodder for weeks.

A majority is still against the bill according to the same poll - question 10 indicates 51% in opposition to 42% in favour.

Yes, that's why they had the sentence about the bill not having majority support (51% in opposition). For whatever reason I didn't read that as an independent sentence and mistakenly read that as being associated with the 80%, which I mistakenly did again when I reread it to try to prove a majority opposed it.

cdyhybrid

There is no way it passed. The AP should get torched for running with only that as a source. I have no doubt it will be back again anyway though.

After CNN basically got off free for their bullshit after the Boston bombing, there is no incentive to confirm your story before putting it out there.

Rayis

I mean, even if they did vote on time, all those rules they disregarded and ignored just so that they could vote on it has to count for something doesn't it? if not, this is a travesty and should not be tolerated.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 1m
Hinojosa: Travis County prosecutors should look into the date change on SB5 vote #txlege

Changing the date might be breaking the law? lolz if true.

Becca Aaronson ‏@becca_aa 4m
Hinojosa holding up docs showing #txlege changed time stamp on #SB5 vote pic.twitter.com/r7mdQXSu3J

pigeon

Banned
How you both haven't figured out Enron is a troll by now is beyond me. Unless you enjoy debating for the hell of debate, you're wasting your time and energy.

I've had reasonable conversations with him before, although admittedly, his relatively consistent position that the ethics of a law are irrelevant as long as it exists is a little discomfiting to me. But given that slightly alarming position I don't think his posts here are particularly out of character.

Alexlf

I almost hope they legit cooked the book, just for the fallout. It would be incredible. If the republican party got caught doing this it would destroy them.

jaxword

I hate to be the wet blanket, but the TLO site changing the date isn't as damning and incriminating as it seems. It just means the guy updating the site changed some details.

That's all.

The official logs aren't uploaded yet.

What they write now is sort of meaningless until then.

Wallach

This couldn't have gone any better for the Democrats. The bill was (is?) going to pass no matter what. Maybe not yesterday, but soon. Filibuster was a move to drum up debate and support. Now, with the craziness of the last hour, the chanting of the crowd, and the ambiguity of the result, there's enough news fodder for weeks.

Yep. I guess I gave the GOP players in this too much credit when thinking they would pull the bill in the delay before letting Watson close, because they could have attempted to push it through again after this session.

Now they're going to get unbelievably worse attention with the same result. Fucking comedy, but I don't know why I expected anything else really.

Enron

Banned

I have no idea if a vote occured during all of that ruckus or not, but that doesn't really tell us anything other than when it was put into the computer. None of us know for sure if there was some sort of special rule invoked that allows for voting during chaos like that, if Texas law allows for votes after the session if something is invoked, etc. We don't even know who has the final say when things like this happen. Most of us watching the stream don't even know what happened in the last 20 minutes period. At this point its a he said/she said on twitter between state senators who obviously cannot be trusted

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 3m
Sen. Uresti: Senate Journal clerk has the vote on SB5 started at 12:02. #txlege

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 52s
The remaining senators in the chamber being asked to caucus behind closed dors to resolve the evening's disarray. Some are refusing. #txlege

LAWL

Socreges

Banned
And I would argue that given that the answers to the previous four questions in the same poll would indicate a majority leaning against SB5 even outside of the special session, your argument is exceedingly unlikely to be practically true.
Bingo.

But he'll ignore that. Not because he's a troll, but because people always look to confirm their preconceived beliefs. Just because his beliefs happen to be pretty damn inconvenient right now does not mean that he's any more likely to change them.

sangreal

I hate to be the wet blanket, but the TLO site changing the date isn't as damning and incriminating as it seems. It just means the guy updating the site changed some details.

That's all.

The official logs aren't uploaded yet.

What they write now is sort of meaningless until then.

Those printouts aren't from the website. Regardless, the incriminating and damning part would be that we all saw them vote after midnight

Enron

Banned

So, if senators are being asked to caucus to sort it out, at least we know the Republican majority isn't just going to lie and ram it through. Also confirms that the Senate has no procedure in place for something like this (although after tonight I'll bet they will)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom