• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Tired of people saying keep this vigor for 2014 with a pat on the back, trying to diffuse the energy at the moment just to bottle it up and re-open it for center-right dems next year. There's no reason we can't do both. If they want justice now for their ideals they have the right to claim it now.

jaxword

Those printouts aren't from the website. Regardless, the incriminating and damning part would be that we all saw them vote after midnight

I'm not saying they didn't or wouldn't cook the books, but the fact remains it's not a legal document. Which means it won't mean much if this goes to court.

Good negative publicity, but I do wonder if it's ethical to promote as fact.

sangreal

I'm not saying they didn't or wouldn't cook the books, but the fact remains it's not a legal document. Which means it won't mean much if this goes to court.

Good negative publicity, but I do wonder if it's ethical to promote as fact.

Okay, but that isn't what you said. You said the TLO changing the date means nothing. Agreed. The prinouts aren't from the TLO though, they're from the Senate's internal system. Obviously it uses the same data, but I am taking exception to your claim that "The official logs aren't uploaded yet."

BNqkR4xCMAER00e.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/becca_aa/status/349772548269027328/photo/1

Changing that has to be illegal, correct? Like, how the fuck can they blatantly lie when it comes to hard, documented times..? Seriously, wtf. Such a shame. =/

I really hope this blows up and sees some repercussions leading to positive change.

malfcn

I think it's awesome they are trying to push it through,
Because it better damage their reputations. What the fuck are they thinking?

Wallach

Okay, but that isn't what you said. You said the TLO changing the date means nothing. Agreed. The prinouts aren't from the TLO though, they're from the Senate's internal system. Obviously it uses the same data, but I am taking exception to your claim that "The official logs aren't uploaded yet."

The journal clerk also seems to confirm that the vote started at 12:02 AM, though you could argue that it is only second-hand information at the moment.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Changing that has to be illegal, correct? Like, how the fuck can they blatantly lie when it comes to hard, documented times..? Seriously, wtf. Such a shame. =/

I really hope this blows up and sees some repercussions leading to positive change.

If that is legit I don't see how that isn't blatantly illegal. Someone should go to jail over that shit.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 38s
Senate just ordered senators back for a caucus to determine whether they passes SB5. Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger. #txlege

LMAO

nib95

Banned
I've read the OP, but can someone explain what's going on at this point? What's the Ustream showing, what is this crowd, what are those papers, what's happened etc?

Sorry for the questions, just don't really get it.

From In the Loop

"Linton Barwick: All right, Karen is not to know about this, huh? She is an excitable, yapping she-dog. Get a hold of those minutes. I have to correct the record.
Bob Adriano: We can do that?
Linton Barwick: Yes, we can. Those minutes are an aide-memoire for us. They should not be a reductive record of what happened to have been said, but they should be more a full record of what was intended to have been said. I think that's the more accurate version, don't you"

It'll undoubtedly blow up. Whether or not it results in any positive change is up in the air.

sangreal

I think it's awesome they are trying to push it through,
Because it better damage their reputations. What the fuck are they thinking?

I agree. It probably won't hurt them locally, but it may impact national politics and the whole charade was pointless. They could just vote on it another time

sangreal

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 38s
Senate just ordered senators back for a caucus to determine whether they passes SB5. Just when you thought it couldn't get stranger. #txlege

LMAO

Sounds like they would just take a vote to determine if it passed. Stay away and deny quorum

I've read the OP, but can someone explain what's going on at this point? What's the Ustream showing, what is this crowd, what are those papers, what's happened etc?

Wondering if the sb5 pass, the ustream are showing the people outside the chamber waiting for an answer and the paper show the date of the voting.

cdyhybrid

From In the Loop

"Linton Barwick: All right, Karen is not to know about this, huh? She is an excitable, yapping she-dog. Get a hold of those minutes. I have to correct the record.
Bob Adriano: We can do that?
Linton Barwick: Yes, we can. Those minutes are an aide-memoire for us. They should not be a reductive record of what happened to have been said, but they should be more a full record of what was intended to have been said. I think that's the more accurate version, don't you"

Wow. Just, wow.

Enron

Banned
You guys are looking at a datestamp on a printout from somewhere and deciding that because it differs with what someone is probably entering in from hand notes somewhere else, someone should be going to jail? We don't even know what mechanisms the senate uses to record these things, do they go in in real-time or after the fact, and which time the stamps reflect. Given that we've just heard about the closed door meeting, Im guessing that none of these are actually the official record.

sangreal

The Fillibuster was shot down at 10pm. Alternative delay measures dragged it out until 11:50. At that point, the crowd erupted preventing them from conducting business. After midnight (when the session should've been over) they voted to pass the bill anyway. Now there is debate over whether it actually passed and when the vote took place.

I almost hope they legit cooked the book, just for the fallout. It would be incredible. If the republican party got caught doing this it would destroy them.
Pffft. They do shit like this all the time. MI GOP "counted" voice votes in seconds in chaos. THE IRS "scandal" is falling apart because the IRS also went after progressive groups and the bogus investigation intentionally avoided looking into that.

Socreges

Banned
So, what were the highlights? I missed the entire thing. I understand there's still a lot going on, but I'm curious about how the 13-hour filibuster went.

nib95

Banned
The Fillibuster was shot down at 10pm. Alternative delay measures dragged it out until 11:50. At that point, the crowd erupted preventing them from conducting business. After midnight (when the session should've been over) they voted to pass the bill anyway. Now there is debate over whether it actually passed and when the vote took place.

I see. Sounds....shady.

jaxword

You think the Senate's logs are going to be legally used in court? Doubt it.

If anything they'll just use it to prove the vote was intended to be before 12 but the protestors disrupted the process.

I'm basically saying the printouts aren't the silver arrow to kill Ganon here.

Enron

Banned
So, what were the highlights? I missed the entire thing. I understand there's still a lot going on, but I'm curious about how the 13-hour filibuster went.

It ended around 10pm local on a 3-strikes rule, and then spent the rest of the time arguing over procedures. Votes were starting to be called 10 minutes before the deadline, then the protestors in the crowd started disrupting the proceedings and no one outside the senate floor knows what happened from that point on. Not even the senate, apparently.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Summarized this for a friend of mine:

Texas wants to ban abortion clinics. Democrat woman talks for 12 hours straight to prevent vote. Republicans want to break rules and stop her from talking. Other democrats protest. They get ignored. This happens: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yPntuZ7jmGY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=yPntuZ7jmGY
Crowd continues cheering for 30mins. Vote may or may not have happened before midnight, nobody knows.

antonz

Can the Democrats actually deny quorom if they all leave? I can't remember how many Texas needs.

Looks like it takes 11 to deny quorum. There are 12 democrats in the senate based on wiki so not sure how that works 2 are obstaning from votes on this issue or aren't there or what. Problem now is by Texas law Senate Members can be forcibly brought into the senate by Texas Rangers. So they would need to escape the capital and leave the state now

sangreal

You think the Senate's logs are going to be legally used in court? Doubt it.

If anything they'll just use it to prove the vote was intended to be before 12 but the protestors disrupted the process.

No I don't, but again that isn't what your original post said. You originally said it was just from the TLO so it doesn't matter. I pointed out that it isn't from the TLO, but their internal system. Now you say those logs don't matter either. I think you're probably right. I doubt any of this will matter in court. I don't think it matters that protesters slowed them down either -- any more than it matters that Senators slowed them down.

Enron

Banned
Looks like it takes 11 to deny quorum. There are 12 democrats in the senate based on wiki so not sure how that works 2 are obstaning from votes on this issue or aren't there or what. Problem now is by Texas law Senate Members can be forcibly brought into the senate by Texas Rangers. So they would need to escape the capital and leave the state now

They've actually done this once before during a redisctricting fight - the democrats all up and left for Oklahoma.

jaxword

Pretty sure that the fact the vote came after midnight is going to be stamped as irrelevant by some Republican judge anyways.

Iksenpets

Banned

Filibuster was shot down on a claim that her discussion of ultrasounds was not germane to the bill at hand. The Lieutenant Governor decided that was enough to end the filibuster, but Senator Watson managed to drag the procedural argument over that out for an hour or two until they just decided to ignore his arguments and ram through the vote. At that point one of the female senators, whose name escapes me, asked when the male senators were going to let women speak. At that the crowd erupted in cheers that they sustained for 15 minutes, drowning out any attempt to vote and taking us past midnight. Republicans claim that a vote began before midnight and is thus legit, but all evidence seems to point against that.

Zaptruder

Banned
Summarized this for a friend of mine:

Texans wants to ban abortion clinics. Democrat woman talks for 12 hours straight to prevent vote. Republicans want to break rules and stop her from talking. Other democrats protest. They get ignored. This happens: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yPntuZ7jmGY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=yPntuZ7jmGY
Crowd continues cheering for 30mins. Vote may or may not have happened before midnight, nobody knows.

To get technical - the vote was to put up stringent but bullshit restrictions on abortion clinics that would've caused all but 5 clinics in Texas to have shut down.

So in effect, a backdoor ban on abortion.

Majority of texans against it - Democratic senator stood up and told them ahead of time that this was going to be fillibustered if they insisted on including it in the bill.

They do, and they enforce stringent requirements on the fillibustering process (no sitting, no leaning, keep on subject).

Senator gets up and proceeds to fillibuster under stringent conditions for 10+ hours before republicans finagle some bullshit to say that she was out of line. Other democratic senators getup and attempt to fillibuster that ruling in order to help them ride out the time. They do, all while the republican side pulls more and more bullshit, upto and including flat out ignoring the rules that they created.

Crowd starts cheering for epic burn, using it as a pretense to help ride out the clock for the democrats. Mass confusion ensues and Republicans attempt to push through the vote irrespective of uncertainty and lack of clarity during crowd interruption.

I remember that one time where the Texas GOP tried to pass a bill which gerrymandered the districts and the Democrats all fled to Oklahoma and so put themselves out of reach of the Texas Rangers.

Texas politics is so crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom