• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanDG

Problem now is by Texas law Senate Members can be forcibly brought into the senate by Texas Rangers. So they would need to escape the capital and leave the state now

That would be the case if the session was still open. With the special session over now, I don't know how they can do that. Unless of course they are going to argue that the session was never adjourned - in which case - I would be a little confused procedurally about what happens then. I know the special session time tables are dictated constitutionally, so I don't believe that they could argue it was still in session after the time line was met. I know that Perry could call a second special session, but this whole situation is opening up a lot of questions.

Enron

Banned

And just think, several pages ago the entire thread thought the parliamentarian was a ruthless bitch villain putting the rubber stamp on the Lt Governor running roughshod over the opposition. Maybe, just maybe, she knows the rules better than we do? Dunno, just a thought.

Pastry

Banned
Filibuster was shot down on a claim that her discussion of ultrasounds was not germane to the bill at hand. The Lieutenant Governor decided that was enough to end the filibuster, but Senator Watson managed to drag the procedural argument over that out for an hour or two until they just decided to ignore his arguments and ram through the vote. At that point one of the female senators, whose name escapes me, asked when the male senators were going to let women speak. At that the crowd erupted in cheers that they sustained for 15 minutes, drowning out any attempt to vote and taking us past midnight. Republicans claim that a vote began before midnight and is thus legit, but all evidence seems to point against that.

Senator Van de Putte, from San Antonio.

jaxword

No I don't, but again that isn't what your original post said. You originally said it was just from the TLO so it doesn't matter. I pointed out that it isn't from the TLO, but their internal system. Now you say those logs don't matter either. I think you're probably right. I doubt any of this will matter in court. I don't think it matters that protesters slowed them down either -- any more than it matters that Senators slowed them down.

You seem very fixated on this and I'm not sure why; the TLO was being discussed at the time and I was talking to mackaveli about it. The thread moves fast and the screenshot printouts were posted at the same time; I don't even mention printouts in my original post and frankly hadn't even thought about them at that point.

I'm really not sure what your goal is here, but you're obsessing over the wrong minutiae.

sangreal

You seem very fixated on this and I'm not sure why; the TLO was being discussed at the time and I was talking to mackaveli about it. The thread moves fast and the screenshot printouts were posted at the same time; I don't even mention printouts in my original post and frankly hadn't even looked at them at that point.

I'm really not sure what your goal is here, but you're obsessing over the wrong minutiae.

I'm not fixated on anything. I replied to your original post to correct a rather large inaccuracy and you've kept it going with replies moving the goal posts so I've responded.

IrishNinja

wow, still ongoing
edit: passed? some ol bullshit right here

I think GAF has made the mistake (along with most everyone watching that stream) of thinking that the people in the gallery are representative of the People of Texas as a whole. I am pretty sure that they are not, and instead are just the more motivated folks on this issue..

and this is why civil rights should not be left to popular vote/whimsy of the people

Enron

Banned
They do, and they enforce stringent requirements on the fillibustering process (no sitting, no leaning, keep on subject).

This makes it sound like they just made up these rules just for this occassion. These are actually the standing rules for filibusters in the Texas State Senate.

jaxword

I'm not fixated on anything. I replied to your original post and you keep replying moving the goalposts so I responded.

Yeah, you are. I'm not sure why you're fixated here, and it's getting a little creepy, but you can prove to yourself that it's misguided and offbase and search my posts for the word printout and you'll see I was talking about the TLO with mackaveli from the start. You can let it go now, there's more important things to focus on.

AniHawk

This makes it sound like they just made up these rules just for this occassion. These are actually the standing rules for filibusters in the Texas State Senate.

honestly, the us senate would be better if the filibuster was like the one in texas, from what it sounds like. make people actually speak about what they believe in, if they really believe in it. no reading from a phone book, no idle threats of filibuster, just talk about what you're passionate about.

sangreal

Yeah, you are. I'm not sure why you're fixated here, and it's getting a little creepy, but you can prove to yourself that it's misguided and offbase and search my posts for the word printout and you'll see I was talking about the TLO with mackaveli from the start. You can let it go now, there's more important things to focus on.

All I did was agree with your later post and mentioned it wasn't the same as the original point I disputed

Beyond that one original post, I've done nothing but respond to you quoting me. If that makes me fixated, then you are...?

Enron

Banned
Its actually quite a pleasant place with great people and culture. I grew up in Boulder, CO and now live in Dallas and love it.

Yeah, the OMG TEXAS IS THE SHITHOLE OF THE NATION stuff is getting really tiring. Texas is fucking awesome, it's a great place to live.

IrishNinja

For the umpteenth time: the majority was behind striking the bill down.

fantastic if true; Enron was the one disagreeing with that point. I was simply stating why i think the question should be irrelevant to such issues as women's rights

Yeah, the OMG TEXAS IS THE SHITHOLE OF THE NATION stuff is getting really tiring. Texas is fucking awesome, it's a great place to live.

could be worse, you could love being from FL and have like 1/8th of OT making pile-on threads every few weeks about how shitty your shitty shit must shit

Filibuster was shot down on a claim that her discussion of ultrasounds was not germane to the bill at hand. The Lieutenant Governor decided that was enough to end the filibuster, but Senator Watson managed to drag the procedural argument over that out for an hour or two until they just decided to ignore his arguments and ram through the vote. At that point one of the female senators, whose name escapes me, asked when the male senators were going to let women speak. At that the crowd erupted in cheers that they sustained for 15 minutes, drowning out any attempt to vote and taking us past midnight. Republicans claim that a vote began before midnight and is thus legit, but all evidence seems to point against that.

It's so stupid, abortion restrictions aren't germane to discussion about abortion restrictions. Hurp durp fuck 'em.

Nah, Texas is pretty shit. I live here so I know.

Help me out here..

Geography? Diverse and beautiful in many different ways

Food? TexMex, BBQ, steakhouses

Culture? Every region of Texas is distinct. The people of El Paso are completely different from the people of Carthage

Sports? Cowboys

Pollution? poor in Houston, but overall not an issue

Austin? Coolest city in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom