• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

I live in Texas, and while I hate it, we still some good things?? right??? right??? we have Austin, but all that is inconsequential if the governing party in congress is batshit insane and breaks its own rules, I'm sorry but I cannot defend that shit. The state sucks to me as long we have those people in power.

I live in Texas, and while I hate it, we still some good things?? right??? right??? we have Austin, but all that is inconsequential if the governing party in congress is batshit insane and breaks its own rules, I'm sorry but I cannot defend that shit. The state sucks to me as long we have those people in power.

Good thing is demographics are changing, so it will become a Blue state in time.

I wasn't even aware of the issue myself nor did I think it was possible for a state to practically ban aborition.

They can't ban abortion, what they CAN do is defund clinics, force women to undergo ultrasounds and generally put up roadblocks without fucking with the timeline established by Roe v Wade. Roe doesn't ensure clinics or any of the sort, just that a woman can get one if she so chooses. But without clinics, obviously it's more difficult, so abortion has basically become another tool the rich can utilize but fuck everyone else.

It's already happened in some states before. North Dakota has ONE abortion clinic.

Isn't this also true of mississippi.

just checked, yes it is.

They can't ban abortion, what they CAN do is defund clinics, force women to undergo ultrasounds and generally put up roadblocks without fucking with the timeline established by Roe v Wade. Roe doesn't ensure clinics or any of the sort, just that a woman can get one if she so chooses. But without clinics, obviously it's more difficult, so abortion has basically become another tool the rich can utilize but fuck everyone else.

They also keep passing bills that don't have a health exception for the mother, which is illegal and continually stricken down time and time again. But they don't care.

We desperately need one of the conservative SCOTUS members to retire or expire and get replaced by Obama, then have a new abortion case ending these 20 week laws, lack of exceptions, etc etc etc.

DR2K

Banned

Well yeah I know they can't ban it, which is why I used the word practically. But it might as well be for a lot of people.

Enron

Banned
I thought to filibuster they didn't have to talk about the subject at all, just talk. If not my 7th grade civics teacher lied to me.

Filibuster rules vary by state, and are not the same as filibusters at the Federal level. Which is most likely what your civics teacher was talking about.

antonz

oh god people are passing around a white house petition demanding Obama veto the bill.

The average American and their understanding of the system

Well yeah I know they can't ban it, which is why I used the word practically. But it might as well be for a lot of people.

In a funny way, this is bad for Texas. Texas has one of the highest numbers of abortions largely because people in neighboring states are forced to come there.

So much for their abortion economy. Drive them jobs away, Perry!

Seriously though, we need that new composition to the SCOTUS and have them stop this bullshit.

Iksenpets

Banned
If it gets ruled that the vote was late, do they need an entirely new bill?

Rick Perry would have to call a new special session, include abortion on the agenda for that session, and then they would have to start the debate over from the beginning again.

Some 87% of U.S. counties do not have an abortion provider and 35% of women aged 15–44 live in those counties.[32] The proportions are lower in the Northeast (53% and 18%) and the West (74% and 13%). In 2005, nonhospital providers estimated that while more than seven in 10 women traveled less than 50 miles to access abortion services, nearly two in 10 traveled 50–100 miles and almost one in 10 traveled more than 100 miles.

=/.

liquidtmd

Banned
oh god people are passing around a white house petition demanding Obama veto the bill.

The average American and their understanding of the system

That would be fantastic.

Republican Senator: "And we decree that the bill did indeed pass and..."

*OBAMA CRASHES THROUGH THE DOORS DRESSED AS PHOENIX WRIGHT*

Obama: "OBJECTION!!!!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom