• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but that will open up more options (for both sides). They may not want to go through the fight again either.

I don't think the other bills passed either, so he may have to call a session

He has to call another session. They need the other two bills, especially the transportation bill.

The question is if they will go for sb5 again and the answer is almost certainly yes. The real question is how much of a fight the Dems put up this time. In the end, they will lose.

It's nice that they delayed this for a day and in the process made the GOP look like both cartoon villains and fools at the same time and hopefully the optics hurt going forward, but they can't stop this bill, sadly.

Enron

Banned
Yes, but that will open up more options (for both sides). They may not want to go through the fight again either.

I don't think the other bills passed either, so he may have to call a session

I don't know about another special session, but Republicans have more than enough votes and they will most definitely want to go through with it again. It just won't be at the 11th hour of a special session this time.

Wikipedia is now telling me he beat his grandmother in a queefing contest.

AiE4HUD.png

Chichikov

Naw, I'd argue that it was a massive win for democracy. First off, a majority of the state was opposed to the bill (see earlier in the thread). Second, the republicans started to break the rules, and the people themselves shut them down.
This is not how democracy should be working, weird, arcane, anti-progressive rules were used today to achieve a worthy goal and I couldn't be happier, but at the same time, I wouldn't think it's a good day for democracy.
That being said, I always believed that democracy is a means to an end, not an end to itself, so fuck it.

jaxword

That lady deserves a lot of credit. Wendy did the hardest part, but if the crowd hadn't erupted there and then, they likely would have signed the bill.

Don't forget the combined efforts of Senators Kirk Watson and Royce West for their attempts to stall.

Crocodile

It's shameful it took over two hours for this to get straightened out. I'm just glad though that it ended on the right (a happy) note :)

The Democrat senators really stepped up today. Davis was incredible and Watson coming in and saving it was too. The crowd carrying on to finish it off was amazing.

Don't forget the senator who came after attending the funeral of her father. By all means the Senate should have never voted and let her mourn, but there's no sympathy for a woman who lost her father, only the sympathy for those who won't get a chance to be born into soldiers in their wars.

Alexlf

This is not how democracy should be working, weird, arcane, anti-progressive rules were used today to achieve a worthy goal and I couldn't be happier, but at the same time, I wouldn't think it's a good day for democracy.
That being said, I always believed that democracy is a means to an end, not an end to itself, so fuck it.

Hehe, you know what, you're right. I agree with you on both counts.

Enron

Banned

Yeah. Victory was achieved solely due to strange technicalities in an already strange and somewhat rare process, and was also aided by disruption from the gallery. It was certainly entertaining though, lol

wHAT would be the difference if this bill was passed at 11 as opposed to during the daytime? Is it about p.r.? Them not wanting to own up to it or something?

HOLD ON NOT OVER LOL

Sen. Carlos Uresti ‏@CarlosUresti 2m
We're still in caucus. Some in #txlege fighting hard to keep #sb5 alive.

The GOP is so stupid. They will pass this eventually, why are they trying to make a scene?

bonercop

Don't forget the combined efforts of Senators Kirk Watson and Royce West for their attempts to stall.

Yeah, the whole thing was fucking crazy. From top to bottom. There were several times where the guillotine was about to fall, moments where the Republicans made sure to turn up the "cartoonishly evil" dial, and the dems somehow managed to get out of it everytime.

Imagine if democrats where this principled and competent on the federal level!

I can agree that the system with which they accomplished this was utterly bizzare and the whole process was anti-progressive. But the crowd was a sign of genuine democracy, which you don't see a lot in the west.

Enron

Banned
wHAT would be the difference if this bill was passed at 11 as opposed to during the daytime? Is it about p.r.? Them not wanting to own up to it or something?

the reason why this vote was taken up so late at night is because it was being filibustered for 13 hours all the way up until the deadline for the session.

Rayis

Women's rights won tonight, but any way you cut it this was not a good day for democracy.

Yeah, you're right, I got carried away by the verdict, It was indeed a shameful display of democracy and I hope the people who perpetrated it suffer the consequences, it is indeed a win for Women's Rights and for that we should be happy. (now the SCOTUS ruling about the VRA, ughhh)

jaxword

Yeah, the whole thing was fucking crazy. From top to bottom. There were several times where the guillotine was about to fall, moments where the Republicans made sure to turn up the "cartoonishly evil" dial, and the dems somehow managed to get out of it everytime.

Imagine if democrats where this principled and competent on the federal level!

Yeah, there was some real life last minute hanging-by-a-thread Phoenix Wright dodging.

I have a feeling Mrs Davis is going to get a lot of publicity from this:

Here she is, finally sitting down:

S73HhUS.jpg

Don't forget the senator who came after attending the funeral of her father. By all means the Senate should have never voted and let her mourn, but there's no sympathy for a woman who lost her father, only the sympathy for those who won't get a chance to be born into soldiers in their wars.

The special session was announced weeks ago. as terrible as it is I dont think anyone would expect government to shut down whenever an official loses a family member. The real disservice was cramming the abortion bill in during the 11th hour in the first place.

Is there any reason it is easier to pass in the special session? Like needing less votes, or some of the Democrats not being there who could change the result?

Unless they absolutely must pass it like this, and don't expect another special session, I think it is time for the GOP to admit defeat. If their goal was flying under the radar, that time has passed.

Chichikov

(now the SCOTUS ruling about the VRA, ughhh)
Maybe I missing something about it, I only read summary and snippets, not the full majority decision, but so far, it seem one of the craziest, most radical decisions the Supreme Court ever had.
Fucking terrible.

HOLD ON NOT OVER LOL
The GOP is so stupid. They will pass this eventually, why are they trying to make a scene?

He has to call another session. They need the other two bills, especially the transportation bill.

The question is if they will go for sb5 again and the answer is almost certainly yes. The real question is how much of a fight the Dems put up this time. In the end, they will lose.

It's nice that they delayed this for a day and in the process made the GOP look like both cartoon villains and fools at the same time and hopefully the optics hurt going forward, but they can't stop this bill, sadly.

As you say, they've got a go-to excuse to call the second special session to pass the other bills. They have no reason to try to cram it down right now, they'll be able to run it through the next one. They've made themselves look so bad already, why make it worse?

Not to sound pessimistic, but what's the upside to all of this when in the end it is going to be passed anyway? I remember the March for Women's Lives back in spring of 2004. Impressive numbers, but Bush Jr. got elected anyways. I'm glad for the jubilation, but long term, is there any good news to all of this?

The way I see it, this will only be meaningful if it becomes akin to another Todd Akin moment.

jaxword

Not to sound pessimistic, but what's the upside to all of this when in the end it is going to be passed anyway? I remember the March for Women's Lives back in spring of 2004. Impressive numbers, but Bush Jr. got elected anyways. I'm glad for the jubilation, but long term, is there any good news to all of this?

Media attention.

More attention, the harder it is to pass under the radar. And the more effort the Democrats will put in (they're politicians too, they have political motivations as well).

Pretty much the only weapon the common man has.

IrishNinja

short term: message sent, backdoor abortion ban will be an uphill battle/war on women finally meeting aggression

long long term: nothing matters cause we're all gonna die anyway lolol (im assuming this is what you meant)

In an effort to use stealth to pass the bill they've pretty much made it impossible to ignore. I guess that can only help in stopping it in the future.

Also, davis should get a deal with Nike or Reebok. Or maybe Snickers. "Not going anywhere for awhile?"

sangreal

Nothing. I removed my earlier post but I can't understand the strategy here. If they were going to run roughshod over the rules to ram this through, why bother waiting all night? They could have ruled on bogus points of order in the morning. Either accept defeat due to poor scheduling and just vote on it another day (I'm sure they will) or fight dirty, but you can't go half way

Enron

Banned
Maybe I missing something about it, I only read summary and snippets, not the full majority decision, but so far, it seem one of the craziest, most radical decisions the Supreme Court ever had.
Fucking terrible.

It isn't that radical. The formula being used to determine whether 9 states could be freed from having the Federal Government review their election laws was still based upon data from 1972, and that was the part that the SC struck down.

Fucking terrible.

It is. It completely contradicts their previous precedence regarding other matters and how Congress interprets data. It is the most activist ruling I've ever seen from the SCOTUS...or at least can remember reading. As I said in poligaf, the next time some conservative tells you about activist judges, point them to this ruling. It tops them all.

As you say, they've got a go-to excuse to call the second special session to pass the other bills. They have no reason to try to cram it down right now, they'll be able to run it through the next one. They've made themselves look so bad already, why make it worse?

the GOP is a party in disarray. They don't know how to properly function. By this I mean they have no understanding of optics among a lot of other things. They want this bill so they will push for it now even if it will inevitably pass and they look like fools now and jeopardize their future in the chamber.

They don't seem to have the capacity to understand how to play the game. They just play like a 3 year old who wants to do what it wants.

In a funny way, this is bad for Texas. Texas has one of the highest numbers of abortions largely because people in neighboring states are forced to come there.

So much for their abortion economy. Drive them jobs away, Perry!

Seriously though, we need that new composition to the SCOTUS and have them stop this bullshit.[/QUOTE,
ANd worse . . . these jobs will go to Mexico.

maharg

idspispopd

The way I see it, this will only be meaningful if it becomes akin to another Todd Akin moment.

Have you ever lived in a place where your political views are in such a small minority that they have no hope of ever getting a fair hearing in the normal means of legislative process?

Because when you live in a place like that, this kind of thing is all you get to remind you that there's hope at all.

Chichikov

But what difference does it make when mandatory ultrasound bills are being passed in the light of day?
The GOP has a majority, if they want to pass that bill they will.
However, it is not a popular measure, the goal of the filibuster was to draw attention to it, and it was more successful at that than anyone could've have ever imagined.
This is of course mostly thanks to the GOP.

Jintor

Fucking terrible.

Is there a thread for this alone as well or should I dive into Poligaf?

National exposure to how women's rights really are under siege. No more pretending they aren't.

It isn't that radical. The formula being used to determine whether 9 states could be freed from having the Federal Government review their election laws was still based upon data from 1972, and that was the part that the SC struck down.

And the 2006 Congress evaluated that formula against recent data and determined it should still work.

SCOTUS has never, to my recollection, ever told Congress its interpretation of data is wrong. They have gone out of their way in numerous cases to say they intentionally defer to Congress on matters of fact finding. Always. Until yesterday.

Why didn't they re-classify marijuana from a schedule 1 drug in Raich when the evidence is clearly on that side? Oh right, SCOTUS defers to Congress.

The argument that formula isn't relevant today may be correct, but the Supreme Court has never and should never have the power to make that determination. This was a gross overreach of power the Court made. Activist by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom