• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TX State Senator leads 11 hour filibuster that successfully beats anti-abortion bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this gets the mainstream coverage it deserves and the proper treatment as well. I would hate to see the shocking way everything played out get reduced to little crappy bylines like "there were recurring disputes on the rules of procedure".

Neo C.

image-513252-galleryV9-nbzu.jpg

posted yet? Republican women look kinda evil, especially the one on the right.

from FoxNews article on the fiasco

Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, spent most of the day staging an old-fashioned filibuster, attracting wide support, including a mention from President Obama's campaign Twitter account. Her Twitter following went from 1,200 in the morning to more than 20,000 by Tuesday night.

Her reelection prospects are looking good.

posted yet? Republican women look kinda evil, especially the one on the right.

the lady to the left of the podium LOL. And her feet are pointing in two different directions

Thanks guys for framing it to me in that context.

I live in the liberal state of N.Y., so I guess it's sometimes hard to see it from that standpoint. Do you think it may embolden democrats to finally embrace being prochoice in the same way that most now support gay rights unapologetically today? Because that, I feel, is part of the problem facing the prochoice movement as it stands.

Chichikov

Is there a thread for this alone as well or should I dive into Poligaf?
I don't know, but there should be one, it's a huge deal.
Regardless, you should dive into poligaf, for fuck's sake, management outnumber labor there, the proletarians need new blood!

Wallach

The way the audio is fucked up on the Youtube feed, sometimes it sounds like the title screen from Chrono Trigger. Fitting.

Statesmanmike ‏@mikestatesman 1m
Whitmire and other senators: The vote on SB5 was held, but it was not concluded until after midnight Tuesday. It is invalid. #txlege

Enron

Banned
And the 2006 Congress evaluated that formula against recent data and determined it should still work.

SCOTUS has never, to my recollection, ever told Congress its interpretation of data is wrong. They have gone out of their way in numerous cases to say they intentionally defer to Congress on matters of fact finding. Always. Until yesterday.

Why didn't they re-classify marijuana from a schedule 1 drug in Raich when the evidence is clearly on that side? Oh right, SCOTUS defers to Congress.

The argument that formula isn't relevant today may be correct, but the Supreme Court has never and should never have the power to make that determination. This was a gross overreach of power the Court made. Activist by far.

I am not an expert on the SC, but if the SC should never have the power to make a determination on legislation enacted and renewed by Congress, then there's really no point to having a Supreme Court.

Also, this is not the first time that this section of the VRA has come before the Supreme Court. It's come up several times and been upheld in the past. So, the Supreme Court has been making this "determination" for quite some time now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us/supreme-court-ruling.html?pagewanted=all

Slacker

If she had 1200 twitterers this morning I'd say it was a good day popularilty-wise. Almost 55,000 now.

Senators returning to the room...

I am not an expert on the SC, but if the SC should never have the power to make a determination on legislation enacted and renewed by Congress, then there's really no point to having a Supreme Court.

Also, this is not the first time that this section of the VRA has come before the Supreme Court. It's come up several times and been upheld in the past. So, the Supreme Court has been making this "determination" for quite some time now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us/supreme-court-ruling.html?pagewanted=all

No, I did not say that at all. They did not determine the VRA is unconstitutional, they determined the formula being used is because Roberts claims times have changed. But in 2006 Congress did look at the data extensively and they determined the formula is still useful for today.

I would love for you to find for me the last time the SCOTUS determined Congress interpretation of facts and data was wrong. This would be like SCOTUS telling Congress that they cannot schedule marijuana as a schedule 1 drug because the science says it has health benefits. The explicitly argue they will not do this because it is the job of congress and congress alone to determine this.

Had Congress just kept the formula without looking at data, the SCOTUS could have ruled justifiably that Congress did not even look at the data and cannot keep the formula indefinitely. That's fine. That is not what happened.

SCOTUS literally did something only Congress has the power to do and I've read tons of SCOTUS decisions and I cannot recall a single time when they did not defer to Congress on fact finding data and did it for them.

Those previous rulings do not tell Congress how to interpret data, it does the opposite it says it's their job. They did not make a determination of legislation, they made a determination on Congressional interpretation of facts and data. This is an absurd and activist position. Where does it end? Can they tell Congress how much pollution to regulate, too?

That's not a lady that Chris Farley in drag.

She looks like a crappily molded and articulated action figure from the 1990's the way the her feet are pointed in different directions -- as if sculpted by someone not familiar with the female body type or proportion.

Shoot, I missed whatever their official explanation was. Was curious what their wording was going to be. The "See you soon" comment leaves the future plans pretty clear though. Saying "It's been fun" was a dick move though.

sangreal

Shoot, I missed whatever their official explanation was. Was curious what their wording was going to be. The "See you soon" comment leaves the future plans pretty clear though.

He just said time has expired so they can't sign the bill, then came back a few minutes later with the see you soon (ie when we call a new session tomorrow) quip

All in all, the Lt Gov wasn't that bad other than his ruling on the 2 germane PoOs. It was his replacement chair that was awful

Shoot, I missed whatever their official explanation was. Was curious what their wording was going to be. The "See you soon" comment leaves the future plans pretty clear though. Saying "It's been fun" was a dick move though.

"Regretably, the constitutional time for the first called session of the 83rd legislature has expired SB5 cannot be signed in the presence of the Senate at this time nad therefore cannot be enrolled."

Watson is firing up the crowd on Ustream. I think it's Watson, anyways. I have never seen any of these people before until tonight.

edit: Welp, and Christopher Dido just signed off. The end.

Tehalemi

Watson you magnificent sob, and good on Christopherdido on getting Wendy to talk to the streamers. :eek:

Edit: And with that, time for me to turn in as well. Stood up till 4am to see how all this would turn out...well worth it imo. :)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
So what's this thing with the timestamp changing? Did something illegal occur and then they backtracked? What was that picture of two printouts with different times posted earlier? Can anyone be prosecuted for a crime?

AniHawk

wow. i can't believe it. major kudos to the democratic senators to stall this stupid thing, and huge props to the gallery for literally making their voices heard.

times like these make me wish i could still catch the daily show. it's going to be awesome tomorrow.

Watson you magnificent sob, and good on Christopherdido on getting Wendy to talk to the streamers. :eek:

Edit: And with that, time for me to turn in as well. Stood up till 4am to see how all this would turn out...well worth it imo. :)

Yeah, I'm going to get some rest as well, but it was definitely worth it to stay up. Experiencing events like this live is just one of those things you can't match (thank you internet). I hope the coming articles and videos do it justice.

boingball

The Dems managed to kill it? Congrats.

Even if it is only temporary, but obviously it is a major publicity boost for the Dems in Texas, which might result in a couple more seats in the next election.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The Dems managed to kill it? Congrats.

Even if it is only temporary, but obviously it is a major publicity boost for the Dems in Texas, which might result in a couple more seats in the next election.
I doubt this alone is going to lead to more seats. If the Dems can continue to highlight the Repubs pulling bullshit though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom