• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TXB Fable Review....

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I feel bad for Mr. Molyneux sometimes, I bet he is crying in his room somewhere.

IJoel

Gamespot will definitely score this one under 9, which seems ok seeing all the comments about it.

Disappointing, but fair from a review score perspective.

staff_score_9.1.jpg

I have to tryout the Real Estate, Trading, and Gambling in the game.

1093621985.jpg

1093623868.jpg

1093623865.jpg

1093623866.jpg

1093623783.jpg

1093623586.jpg

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Between all the reviews so far and the point they're all remarking on - features promised but axed - I am starting to get the sneaking suspicion that the real deal with Fable is simply this: Developer overreaching. BBB did what a ton of developers do constantly, particularly those with a PC background, and spun tales of all kinds of crazy shit as it came to them. When they tried to assemble the game, they realized they couldn't do most of it.

However, the difference in this case, is sounding like BBB realized the direction this was going in and pulled back into an emergency huddle, and brutally ripped a lot of stuff out to salvage a core good game out of it. Which honestly, seems to rarely happen in situations like this. So props to them for sobering up before it was too late.

However, the fact that everybody is saying Fable is laughably easy does seem to support this theory in my eyes: it sounds as if they didn't really have that much time to playtest the final form of the game and think about stuff like the difficulty balance.

What Fable is sounding like is a relatively linear and somewhat easy action-RPG that just has a hell of a lot of replayability due to the flexibility of traveling the comparitively narrow path. I'm still perfectly excited by this. I really, really try not to listen to hype and get sucked into it, and also not play the counter-hype h8 game, so I'm looking at this from the middle. Sounds like a fine game, overall.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think you're right, Kaijima, and I completely agree. In fact, there is evidence out there to support your explanation - Molyneux has admitted before that he often talks to the press about wonderous game features which don't actually exist, in the hopes that it'll put more pressure on the team, or motivate them more, to get them into the game. A risky approach, imo, which has now backfired twice - B&W and Fable. B&W was a decent enough game, and Fable appears to be also, but they are victims of their own hype. Usually when this happens, it is the fault of the fans, and their own self-generated expectations and hype, but in this case, it is completely the developers fault, IMO, and I have absolutely no sympathy.

I was very cautious approaching Fable after B&W, and I'm now glad I was, as I'll probably be in a good position to enjoy the game for what it is, unlike many who may have expected too much. Molyneux now, IMO, has a deserved reputation for over-talking his games. Don't fall for it next time - just sit back and wait for the game to be released, and fingers crossed it'll be good (as they usually are).

Deg

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
In other news, bananas are yellow.

Not always they can also be green :p

Molyneux could have proved us wrong this time but he followed the same formula as before. I think they should ditch him.

Top Bottom