• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft shares plunge another 20% after Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay

Draugoth

Gold Member
assassins-creed-shadows-trailer-characters_l1200.webp

Source

Ubisoft shares have plummeted by 20% so far today following a delay of Assassin's Creed Shadows and "softer than expected" sales of Star Wars Outlaws.

The publisher has also lowered its financial targets for the current fiscal year and is now expecting break-even non-IFRS operating income.

The company’s Q2 has also been worse than expected, with reduced forecasts of €350 million ($390.4 million) to €370 million ($412.7 million) in net bookings. It had previously targeted €500 million ($557.7 million).

With its new targets, Ubisoft expects to generate net bookings of approximately €1.95 billion this fiscal year.

Brock2621

Get rid our your launcher, quit making your female protagonists ugly AF so they can’t be “sexualized,” and (…checks notes…) oh yeah, make an assassins creed game first and foremost instead of scouring history books to find the one black guy in order to be diverse as the primary goal.

Mr Hyde

Damn, Ubi you had a good run. It's a shame it's gotten to this point. They've been around a long time and created some great games but it seems they've hit a brick wall with their recycled shitty open world formula games. People ain't buying anymore.

Go_Ly_Dow

Outlaws sales flop news released.
Ass Creed delayed.

Any other negative news on the horizon? :pie_thinking:

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Bit of a risk at the moment because their current situation is bad enough that they could ACTUALLY go down for good.
If AC Shadows is going to underperform they'll be genuinely in a bad spot.
Yes agreed. I'm only looking for a quick flip by catching a bottom and selling into a small recovery.

The sentiment around Shadows isn't great and it could easily flop and they're in a bigger tight spot.

They need other projects to excite the market and it seems like they haven't got anything else major coming or TBA?

Last edited:

Sentenza

They need other projects to excite the market and it seems like they haven't got anything else major coming or TBA?
They don't because (in case people forgot) they had a couple of missteps in the last three-four years so they announced a couple of years ago that they were going to double down on betting the entire farm on the Assassin's Creed franchise and ignore any other secondary project.
Basically, if this one doesn't land on its feet they are genuinely fucked for the foreseeable future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow.

As a reminder, UBI stock was at 108 Euros in 2018, then 85 in 2021. It's now about 9 and change. It bottomed at 9.01. So youre talking about a stock that has dropped around 90%. lol

One thing's for sure. If you dont like procrastination, never hire the UBI founders. They'll wait till the last minute to do anything. And by that time it's too late.

Yves: "Hmmmm, the mechanic said the engine is fucked and I need to pay $10,000 to replace it. I wonder why"

Buddy: "Hey Yves, did you ever change the oil? Youve had the car for 3 years. Youre supposed to change it every 10,000 km"

Yves: "Ya I was going to get around to it. But I was just going to wait till 50,000 km"

XsKohAr.jpeg

Might be a good time to buy their stock tbh. It's gotta go up or pay out when they go private right?
Plus maybe they have learned their lesson and are really going to polish these titles.

WOW Ubisoft is now a must buy.........................................
.... for Sony or Microsoft.

Plot Twist:
Nintendo.

David Lynchian Plot Twist!
Sega or Chick-fil-A

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

They don't because (in case people forgot) they had a couple of missteps in the last three-four years so they announced a couple of years ago that they were going to double down on betting the entire farm on the Assassin's Creed franchise and ignore any other secondary project.
Basically, if this one doesn't land on its feet they are genuinely fucked for the foreseeable future.
Will see if it goes to 6-7 Euros then. Still too risky here for me considering Ass Creed isn't look promising for them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Might be a good time to buy their stock tbh. It's gotta go up or pay out when they go private right?
Plus maybe they have learned their lesson and are really going to polish these titles.
It might be a good buy.

The company still makes money. Theyve taken their lumps but assuming going forward their profitability returns to normal (this quarter and next quarter will be gimped due to Outlaws and AC delay), it's a got a low PE. Just return back to normal and grow sales and profits slowly and I dont think it can get much lower than 9 bucks.

StereoVsn

If they can clean house, absolutely. They have the resources to turn it around, whether they can change the corporate culture is another.
I mean the people responsible are still running the company. Yves is still there. That’s the biggest issue, they can’t clean up because the largest shareholders are the people that need to be booted.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As I said in the other thread, almost a good time to buy because it will probably rocket when news breaks of an inevitable takeover.

Disclaimer: I’m just a panda on a gaming forum. Please take any investment advice at your own risk, and for the best results, consult a qualified finance professional.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I am thinking we will see another 20-25% drop potential. So €6-7?
Very hard to predict how low a falling knife will go (even though trading is my profession!). But at the 6-8 euro mark personally I'd be more comfortable holding it. Not advice though. Ubisoft is in a bind and they need a win and much better sentiment amongst the gaming community. Until then only a takeover will save them and investors.

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Interesting. I think Ubi knows what they must do, but I don’t know if they are strong enough.
I wish Ubi and the western game makers would just rip the bandaid off.
As shown time and time again if you stand up to the bullies they have no real teeth. The wider market will make up for the pennies you lose from the modern audience. Cancel culture is over.
Someone is going to have to go first and give us a game with a male or “attractive” female character. Someone has to be the first to take that hit towards the inevitable shift.
Trust me Ubi, it will only sting for a fraction of a second. You can wipe the ow-y with a $100 bill.

(Stock price looks tempting. Please don’t leave me holding the bag Ubi)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interesting. I think Ubi knows what they must do, but I don’t know if they are strong enough.
I wish Ubi and the western game makers would just rip the bandaid off.
As shown time and time again if you stand up to the bullies they have no real teeth. The wider market will make up for the pennies you lose from the modern audience. Cancel culture is over.
Someone is going to have to go first and give us a game with a male or “attractive” female character. Someone has to be the first to take that hit towards the inevitable shift.
Trust me Ubi, it will only sting for a fraction of a second. You can wipe the ow-y with a $100 bill.

(Stock price looks tempting. Please don’t leave me holding the bag Ubi)
The sad thing is western studios with deep pockets have the quanity of manpower, tech, and production values. Ya, I know not everyone like realistic looking games or huge sprawling open world games etc.... But to many people (like me) I like that focus by western devs. Japanese devs dont strive for that art style or depth that much.

Problem is western devs have often skewed to politics, dumb shit, and loose cannon employees going on Twitter when they got the resources to make awesome games if they just focus on fun and keep their mouths shut.

It's like a sports team with huge pockets, great stadium, big market of fans, lots of employees at head office, latest greatest tech and training room etc.... but the players and coaches and management fuck it all up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom