• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft shares plunge another 20% after Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

KINGMOKU

Good time to invest or nah :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Usually I would say yes, but, it todays world, some of these companies have shown the propensity to go down with the messege.

UBI is trying desperately to control the narrative, but the best they can hope for at this point, is that another gaming company takes the headlines for something even dumber.

My guess, is that they have positioned themselves, in the biggest market, to be after the elections, and January, so that people who are exhausted with politics, want to escape reality for a bit. Everything will be about that for a few months, hopefully allowing the heat to die down.

I'm relatively certain that there is very little wrong with the game, this is all about timing for them.

Sgt.Asher

I dont see a recovery happening, they delayed shadows to a busy month with far better games coming out, coupled with ghost announced.
Why eat McDonald's when a steak dinner costs the same?

Bry0

Dude I had the gold edition on Greenman, now they are canceling the season pass it came with and giving out the first expansion for free to pre orders. I have no idea if I’m even getting refunded because I already redeemed the game through their account link. I have an open support ticket but haven’t heard anything yet. Basically paid an extra 30 bucks for nothing as of right now.

Yes I deserve it.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t want Ubi going anywhere, but correcting course is what they need to do - and seem to be doing.

Now drop the bullshit and get back to creating the games that we fell in love with decades ago. Any team members that don’t like that can be shown the door.

Last edited:
Add to that this

And Ubisoft is going to suffer more.

I do find it funny seeing
After more than five years of working efficiently in the current remote-work context,
and ubisoft. I guess Ubisoft workers truly believe they are doing effective job

Last edited:

Bluecondor

Another (albeit smaller) factor that contributed to this is that Massive had promised a new free-to-play entry in The Division franchise, Division: Heartland, which was supposed to be released in 2024. They announced over the summer that it was being completely canceled.

You can't blame shareholders for holding Ubi executives accountable for these significant missteps with Outlaws, AC and The Division.

StereoVsn

Dude I had the gold edition on Greenman, now they are canceling the season pass it came with and giving out the first expansion for free to pre orders. I have no idea if I’m even getting refunded because I already redeemed the game through their account link. I have an open support ticket but haven’t heard anything yet. Basically paid an extra 30 bucks for nothing as of right now.

Yes I deserve it.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
Seriously, stop preordering. If you really want to play this Day 1, Ubi+ is $18/month.

StereoVsn

Add to that this

And Ubisoft is going to suffer more.

I do find it funny seeing

and ubisoft. I guess Ubisoft workers truly believe they are doing effective job
Ok, that’s a nothing burger though. Devs have to come in 3 days a week to the office? The Horror!

Metnut

The stock might be undervalued by now. They have pretty high end tech/graphics and good IP. Unlike other companies, they really are able to pump games out.

With some changes to strategy and leadership, could be a beast. Could also be a buy out target which is always a boon for shareholders.

Buy low sell high on Ubi?

Last edited:

Saber

It needs a graph showing when diversity and inclusivity it goes up, the shares, sales and cultural respect goes down.

Bombolone

Gold Member
The sad thing is western studios with deep pockets have the quanity of manpower, tech, and production values. Ya, I know not everyone like realistic looking games or huge sprawling open world games etc.... But to many people (like me) I like that focus by western devs. Japanese devs dont strive for that art style or depth that much.

Problem is western devs have often skewed to politics, dumb shit, and loose cannon employees going on Twitter when they got the resources to make awesome games if they just focus on fun and keep their mouths shut.

It's like a sports team with huge pockets, great stadium, big market of fans, lots of employees at head office, latest greatest tech and training room etc.... but the players and coaches and management fuck it all up.
Gaming CEOs are some of the weirdest bunch I know.
In other industries it’s profit, always climbing, always more. Ruthless.
They want 2 yachts, another cottage.
Are Gaming CEOs the only breed of the bunch that are happy with a $7 share price as long as they are allies to the message? Weird behaviour.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Splinter Cell trailer coming in 3... 2... 1...

Man, Assassin's Creed and its comforts ruined Ubisoft.
Ubi was in such a good position to take risks and make great games with the juggernaut AC keeping things gravy. Comforts indeed. Such a fuking shame.

Go_Ly_Dow

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Ok, that’s a nothing burger though. Devs have to come in 3 days a week to the office? The Horror!

Fucking idiots. Complaining about having to go back to the Ubisoft office three times a week when their employer is going through the biggest crisis in its existence.

What's going to happen is Ubisoft management is going to look at every game that's in development and see if it makes financial sense to continue that investment, they'll be looking at the enormous number of people working for them and fire everyone who's not essential. That's the only way to cut down on expenses and at the same make the shareholders happy and raise the stock price.

StereoVsn

Fucking idiots. Complaining about having to go back to the Ubisoft office three times a week when their employer is going through the biggest crisis in its existence.

What's going to happen is Ubisoft management is going to look at every game that's in development and see if it makes financial sense to continue that investment, they'll be looking at the enormous number of people working for them and fire everyone who's not essential. That's the only way to cut down on expenses and at the same make the shareholders happy and raise the stock price.
I do wonder if this was a way for them to do layoffs without announcing them as such. Timing seems suspicious. 😒

StereoVsn

I just got an email from green man gaming that I’m getting a full refund, thank god. You are absolutely right, I could do that instead. Good suggestion.
It is kind of a dumb move by Ubisoft, but hey, their Premium edition is $18 for a month, you should be able to get your fill of their next game or two for that.

Some more news, the AJ investor that demanded for change claims that they have support of 10% of all shareholders
I am going to jump on the stock if it hits €7 I am thinking. Let’s go Stonks! 😉

I'm honestly surprised they made it this long. When Valhalla came out and got really good sales I thought damn maybe they can just coast off that series\formula but I guess not.

Go_Ly_Dow

It is kind of a dumb move by Ubisoft, but hey, their Premium edition is $18 for a month, you should be able to get your fill of their next game or two for that.

I am going to jump on the stock if it hits €7 I am thinking. Let’s go Stonks! 😉
Bounced this afternoon and got fomo so I bought. BUT could easily fall further from here. 🤮 But I'm prepared to hold for a takeover attempt. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gaming CEOs are some of the weirdest bunch I know.
In other industries it’s profit, always climbing, always more. Ruthless.
They want 2 yachts, another cottage.
Are Gaming CEOs the only breed of the bunch that are happy with a $7 share price as long as they are allies to the message? Weird behaviour.
Not just CEOs. Normal employees too care about success.

All we care about is the company doing great, so we keep our jobs, the company is successful and if things come together we get good bonuses. Its really no different than CEOs, but just many notches down the ladder in terms of compensation.

My company makes some eco-friendly products. They sell like shit. Among the worst selling products in any product line that has eco stuff. There is a small market for sales for it. The mainstream revenue comes from the mainstream products people buy.

No sane person would say..... "Hey let's all be tree huggers and just focus on the eco stuff with the green labels. Lets try to turn this 5% of sales segment into 100% of our company's sales for the sake of the environment". Our company and any other peer company would sink like a rock. The only companies that would do fine are ones that specialize in being green from the get go where their entire line up is eco.

But a game studio would do that. And even crazier is game companies have few products. Most studios just make one game at a time. So to put all eggs into a political basket is odd as hell. At least with large companies with 1,000s of products, we can afford to goof around with niche products where some do well and some fail since 80% of our business are steady sellers.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Bounced this afternoon and got fomo so I bought. BUT could easily fall further from here. 🤮 But I'm prepared to hold for a takeover attempt. :messenger_sunglasses:
It’s certainly not a bad move. I can easily see this jump 30-40% if they get a solid takeover offer.

Go_Ly_Dow

It’s certainly not a bad move. I can easily see this jump 30-40% if they get a solid takeover offer.
Hard to say what fair value is. Activison sold for $75bil. (obviously has bigger IPs and, profits and the price was inflated in reflection).

Ubisoft is currently priced at $1.43bil. I get the feeling even if they received an offer for lets say $3bil the Guillemot family would turn it down. But that's over a 100% premium to the current share price.

So it's an interesting situation developing. If someone wants to snap them up then now is the time to make your move.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Hard to say what fair value is. Activison sold for $75bil. (obviously has bigger IPs and, profits and the price was inflated in reflection).

Ubisoft is currently priced at $1.43bil. I get the feeling even if they received an offer for lets say $3bil the Guillemot family would turn it down. But that's over a 100% premium to the current share price.

So it's an interesting situation developing. If someone wants to snap them up then now is the time to make your move.
Alright, let’s put together GoFund me page, I am in! 😉

On a more serious note I am super tempted to buy whole bunch of shares on leverage. Thankfully I am not dumb enough to do it! 😅

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member

Yes I deserve it.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Yes, you deserve it.

Go_Ly_Dow

How much cash you guys gonna spend on shares?

No more than I have. I've invested an amount I can afford to lose in the worst case. And also an amount I am prepared to hold through any dips and long term.

We on GAF and in these circles know the sentiment around the company is poor and their IPs are underperforming. So it's good to be cautious.

Top Bottom