• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft shares plunge another 20% after Assassin’s Creed Shadows delay

laynelane

Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

That all sounds very believable and also that it's unlikely to change without a complete overhaul of the company structure. As well, the confirmation about making female characters "plain" (Kay used as an example) was very interesting.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Ubi has certainly been bad for a long while but I don’t want them to fold either. They have a ton of good IP. I don’t even understand why they’re paying through the nose to make a Star Wars game with the most uninteresting protag imaginable, and a fucking Avatar game that nobody asked for. Them going under would be terrible for gaming. They’re one of the only publishers out there who still make big AAA single player games even if they haven’t been good for a while. EA has basically stopped in lieu of updating Madden / FIFA rosters every year and maintaining Apex.

Mercador

Last week:
With the stock now trading at 2.7 times expected Ebitda by 2026, the video game designer's valuation has now become "too cheap to ignore", according to the teams at BMO Capital.
They know nothing.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
People thinking about "buying the dip", you are much better off shorting the stock, it has much further to fall and the guillotine family will refuse all reasonable offers so it won't get bought out.

Invest Stock Market GIF

StereoVsn

People thinking about "buying the dip", you are much better off shorting the stock, it has much further to fall and the guillotine family will refuse all reasonable offers so it won't get bought out.

Invest Stock Market GIF
Thing is what if they decide to sell to a decent private offer? You would be in a world of hurt with a lot of shorts. I guess the way to go is to hedge the other way but then overall profit will be a lot smaller.

vpance

Circling the drain. Someone foolish will probably be tempted enough to buy them out now.

Last edited:

vpance

Guillemot seems he doesn't want to sell. I expect some Chinese company that will scoop that one up.

If Shadows underperforms it could be the final straw. Depends how much pressure gets put on Guillemot but I don't think they can reverse the ship quick enough to please.

The Ubi formula finally jumped the shark with the mainstream. To add to that, the unappealing DEI narratives that the entire industry is held hostage under won't help matters any. Dev cycles are absurdly long now and all their trash is still in the pipe.

Don't forget the Inclusion.
'we felt Yasuke was too able bodied so we gave him peg leg. Also made him even darker to blend in with the shadows. On black history month. Players will be able to choose from a variety of cosmetics including KFC bucket hat'

🫡 Sign me up for the deluxe edition.

Go_Ly_Dow

In a smidge of profit. Come on Ubi baby, I don't buy your AAAA games but I do buy your stock when it's tanked.

All proceeds will be donated towards a PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

thief183

I'm seriously thinking about buying some... I know it is not the right place to ask, but do you think I should wait a little more?

Cyberpunkd

I'm seriously thinking about buying some... I know it is not the right place to ask, but do you think I should wait a little more?
Every single time this question is asked the answer is always the same: do not try to time the market, you will fail. Year after year vast majority of financial analysts (so people whose full-time job is looking at stocks) underperform vs. full auto ETF.
Likewise, vast majority of small investors lose their money:
It is widely accepted across the investment fraternity that the vast majority of retail traders lose money - any seasoned investor will tell you this. In fact more than 70% of DIY investors lose money.
Decide on your investment strategy, start putting small amounts every month and you will outperform 90% of investors.

PeteBull

All depends on AC:S metacritic score and sales, if it sells good obviously share price will jump nicely, if it barely breaks even or flops tho... u can guess shareholders will lose that last tiny bit of trust for the company, and rightfully so.

Every single time this question is asked the answer is always the same: do not try to time the market, you will fail. Year after year vast majority of financial analysts (so people whose full-time job is looking at stocks) underperform vs. full auto ETF.
Likewise, vast majority of small investors lose their money:

Decide on your investment strategy, start putting small amounts every month and you will outperform 90% of investors.
Basically the Warren Buffet strategy. It also helps to research the company, read their financial sheets, keep tabs on news feeds relating to said company.

ahtlas7

Gold Member
To those looking to buy in, as long as the company stays infested with the current group of activists employees how does the company course correct?

PeteBull

To those looking to buy in, as long as the company stays infested with the current group of activists employees how does the company course correct?
It cant, obviously, they will fill for bankrupcy sooner than go back to form of ubisoft from 10-15years ago.

BlackTron

I know AC "has never been supposed to be historically accurate" but they even used Chinese architecture in Japan?

Ubisoft just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture but...

Kikorin

They can still save themselves. Release a Splinter Cell with a cool looking and badass Sam Fisher, The Division 3 without short haired black girl and pink haired half shaved Asian girl in the reveal trailer, Beyond Good & Evil 2, a new cool and experimental IP for the next Nintendo console at launch like Zombie U or Mario Rabbids and so on.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They can still save themselves. Release a Splinter Cell with a cool looking and badass Sam Fisher, The Division 3 without short haired black girl and pink haired half shaved Asian girl in the reveal trailer, Beyond Good & Evil 2, a new cool and experimental IP for the next Nintendo console at launch like Zombie U or Mario Rabbids and so on.

Although they are self aware that the vast majority of their game purchasers are male. They have no interest in promoting masculine characters or masculinity in general.

Last edited:
Interesting. I think Ubi knows what they must do, but I don’t know if they are strong enough.
I wish Ubi and the western game makers would just rip the bandaid off.
As shown time and time again if you stand up to the bullies they have no real teeth. The wider market will make up for the pennies you lose from the modern audience. Cancel culture is over.
Someone is going to have to go first and give us a game with a male or “attractive” female character. Someone has to be the first to take that hit towards the inevitable shift.
Trust me Ubi, it will only sting for a fraction of a second. You can wipe the ow-y with a $100 bill.

(Stock price looks tempting. Please don’t leave me holding the bag Ubi)
Which would be so easy for them if they gave a shit. I understand that most of the devs that made it have left the company by now, but they made the masterpiece Far Cry 2 and that had an extremely diverse cast of characters along with one of them being a woman.

Bombolone

Gold Member
1727412996887657.jpg

make a bad game and then strike on top of it..
What are they going on strike for?
(I will find the article and read up)

Edit.

“Management just announced its decision to impose a return to offices for 3 days per week for all employees.”

This is how you get AC Shadows. Some people need to be in a professional work environment to do their job well.

“The consequence of its decision will be the loss of our colleagues’ jobs, the disorganization of many game projects, and the drastic increase in psychosocial risks for those who remain.“

• A formal agreement on remote work: with a due process of real negotiation between management and unions. Not an arbitrary decision taken several months in advance. One which guarantees that each person can freely choose its number of remote days and when they are in the week, as well as beeing counted by the month and not by the week.
  • An immediate increase in all salaries to compensate for the drop in our living standards in recent years. The restoration of the profit-sharing at a 60% objective. The end of the gender pay gap and a higher increase in low salaries.
  • Actually listening to employees opinions by the implementation of a “social dialogue” worthy of the name. Management seems indeed to confuse monologue with dialogue.
Ubi needs to clean house if they want to survive.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Some fans live and die by assassins creed, how many games have been released in the last 30 years? We need to understand the remasters of assassins creed 1-4 haven’t even arrived, I haven’t seen a Japanese assassins creed before, don’t buy it at launch? Correct, delay? Ubisoft knows it ain’t good enough.

MarV0

Neo Member
I would strongly suggest people not to take financial advice from random neogaf users.

There are far safer ways to make money than gambling it on Ubisoft stock reversing course.

Last edited:

Kacho

Going from Wildlands to Breakpoint was crazy.

Wildlands was the most dudebro shooter ever and people fucking loved it. Go to South America and eradicate the cartel there. Simple. It just works.

Then Breakooint drops, you’re on some island fighting a paramilitary group with high tech gadgets and your HQ looks like downtown LA. I didn’t understand why they did that at the time but it all makes sense now…

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

“Management just announced its decision to impose a return to offices for 3 days per week for all employees.”

"The consequence of its decision will be the loss of our colleagues’ jobs, the disorganization of many game projects, and the drastic increase in psychosocial risks for those who remain.“

• A formal agreement on remote work: with a due process of real negotiation between management and unions. Not an arbitrary decision taken several months in advance. One which guarantees that each person can freely choose its number of remote days and when they are in the week, as well as beeing counted by the month and not by the week.
  • An immediate increase in all salaries to compensate for the drop in our living standards in recent years. The restoration of the profit-sharing at a 60% objective. The end of the gender pay gap and a higher increase in low salaries.
  • Actually listening to employees opinions by the implementation of a “social dialogue” worthy of the name. Management seems indeed to confuse monologue with dialogue.

Absurd demands from a workforce of a failing company.

Top Bottom