• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 152 |OT| Jones vs Belfort: Who Does God Love More?

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled-244rdj.gif
untitled-3ngpn2.gif

untitled-4fgojx.gif

You are amazing Sunhi

Godslay

Banned
He wasn't just fishing for an armbar. Its obvious that he was looking to get any submission period. I think a good grappler has a better chance against Jones than a striker. Jones is too big to stand in front of and strike with. Jones is overconfident in his ground game and almost got his arm broken. You have a better chance of catching Jones in a bad spot in a scrabble than standing with him.

Agreed. I don't think anybody can really strike with him, besides Silva.

4th title defense. In the time he's been champ, he's making a pretty good defense for being P4P (if that title means anything).

Well, bring on Dan Henderson, so we can say he cleaned out the division.

charsace

Agreed. I don't think anybody can really strike with him, besides Silva.

Silva, maybe Machida if he was a little bit more agressive, young Vitor with his speed with the heart that Vitor has now, or, and people will disagree, a guy that fights like Bisping that has a chin and power.

charsace

You also have to realize that Vitor didn't want to keep it standing because of the low kicks from Jones and the clinch which is the best part of Jone's game. People seem to forget how effective Jones clinch is though.

Goldie made two references tonight to the acceptability of fighters marrying his daughter. Technically three since the last one was about both Jones and Belfort.

Trigger

4th title defense. In the time he's been champ, he's making a pretty good defense for being P4P (if that title means anything).

Well, bring on Dan Henderson, so we can say he cleaned out the division.

I was more excited for a Henderson/Bones fight honestly. Bones is a beast though. I wonder what will happen once he's blown through the division?

I dunno, post interview with the way he was holding that thing it sounded like he was about to burst into tears. Which would have been ok, cause i sure would have.

"I was waiting for it to break, I wasn't gonna tap"

Why do people hate him? He's fucking badass.
He's so cocky. To even think that he could win with that badly dislocated elbow, even though he did, was further proof of his arrogance. He should have tapped as soon as Vitor locked it in as any humble fighter would have done. He essentially broke an unspoken rule of mixed martial arts prize fighting by not conceding defeat to a legend of the sport like Vitor. He's lucky that Vitor is so honorable and didn't decide to break his arm outright.

What a prick.

GatorFan

Banned
Jones acting all tough and saying he's not going to tap...I wish he could've eaten those words and gone home with a broken arm and surgery.

Bring the hate!

Zeliard

He wasn't just fishing for an armbar. Its obvious that he was looking to get any submission period. I think a good grappler has a better chance against Jones than a striker. Jones is too big to stand in front of and strike with. Jones is overconfident in his ground game and almost got his arm broken. You have a better chance of catching Jones in a bad spot in a scrabble than standing with him.

Vitor nearly subbed Jones with it but that's largely because he caught him completely off-guard at the start of the fight. His continued attempts just became predictable and Jones punished him for it. It's particularly risky to pull guard against Jones because the dude's length allows him to land elbows from the guard. He doesn't even have to transition to do serious damage.

It's going to take someone more adept at subs than ol' Vitor to be able to use that strat vs Jones, or else you just put yourself in a position to eat elbows and get finished.

Macattk15

and when you drink and drive.

People make dumb decisions. Not like he murdered someone / raped someone.

He's so cocky. To even think that he could win with that badly dislocated elbow, even though he did, was further proof of his arrogance. He should have tapped as soon as Vitor locked it in as any humble fighter would have done. He essentially broke an unspoken rule of mixed martial arts prize fighting by not conceding defeat to a legend of the sport like Vitor. He's lucky that Vitor is so honorable and didn't decide to break his arm outright.

What a prick.

Damnit. Almost fell.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
TBH, Vitor did more than I expected him to, so props to Vitor for yanking Jones' arm.
I was more excited for a Henderson/Bones fight honestly. Bones is a beast though. I wonder what will happen once he's blown through the division?
He could bump up to HW or retire.

Godslay

Banned
Silva, maybe Machida if he was a little bit more agressive, young Vitor with his speed with the heart that Vitor has now, or, and people will disagree, a guy that fights like Bisping that has a chin and power.

An aggressive Machida would be interesting for sure. The same thing with an aggressive, truly in shape Shogun. I doubt we will see either though.

Hated him before that didn't we?

I've never hated Jones, drunk driving is bullshit though. No matter who does it.

Jon Jones is like Skyler from Breaking Bad. No matter what they do they receive hate.
I thought he fought like a beast. Guy is a legend.

He always fights like a beast. People hate boring point fighters yet hate on a guy that has finished like 9 of his last 10 (all against former champs too)

I wonder what will happen once he's blown through the division?

Talks of super fights or moving up in weight. Just ask GSP and Silva. As unfortunate as it was, at least the injury has given GSP a story for his next fight and question on if he can remain dominant.

Silva is getting old. He's probably only got a few fights left in him.

charsace

Why? Vitor is the better fight. Henderson's only hope is to get inside. And even though Henderson has an uncanny ability to get people to engage with him in the pocket, Jones doesn't seem to be one of those guys. Vitor tried to entice Jones a few times by dropping his lead hand. And Jones didn't bite at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom