• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 152 |OT| Jones vs Belfort: Who Does God Love More?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talks of super fights or moving up in weight. Just ask GSP and Silva. As unfortunate as it was, at least the injury has given GSP a story for his next fight and question on if he can remain dominant.

Silva is getting old. He's probably only got a few fights left in him.

Canderson wasnts no part of Bones. I guarantee that shit. He's fighting Stephan Bonnar for fucks sake. He's in the cakewalk stage of his career.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
uyDqi.png

reem dropping down to 205 again

dabig2

Good fight by Jones. He dominated even though he got caught off-guard and got his arm cranked. Great resolve there.

Respect for Belfort though for taking the fight.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
man, fuck vitor. what was that? pulling guard? repeatedly? where was the fury of punches, ie, your only shot at victory?

Pimpwerx

"I was waiting for it to break, I wasn't gonna tap"

Why do people hate him? He's fucking badass.

Haters gon' hate.

People still mad he didn't put Chael in a coffin? Who's the next guy everyone's gonna hope can beat Bones? I know Hendo has to be off that list completely now. No fucking way in hell baby T-Rex stands a snowball's chance in hell against him. Canderson is really the only option, and he's gotta be pretty worried at this point. If Chael can take him down easily, Jones will have no trouble. And Jones is far more dangerous on the ground. PEACE.

This fight also highlighted how Goldy always has to get subtly checked by Rogan. Joe seems to try not to embarrass him.

GOldy: "Jones with that front oblique kick. He loves to use that!"
Rogan: "Actually that was the the front side kick to the knee"
Goldy: "But he uses it to set up the oblique kick!"

Goldy is like the Michael Scott of MMA.

I've never hated Jones, drunk driving is bullshit though. No matter who does it.

Oh I agree. ANY sort of drunk belligerence is bullshit. Just saying that drunk driving isn't why people started disliking him. It was already happening well before that, when he was just good and successful.

Canderson wasnts no part of Bones. I guarantee that shit. He's fighting Stephan Bonnar for fucks sake. He's in the cakewalk stage of his career.

Who is he really going to fight? Chael Sonnen? Michael Bisping? Brian Stann? Hamill? Okami?

I think the winner of Weidman and Bisping should face Silva.

charsace

Vitor nearly subbed Jones with it but that's largely because he caught him completely off-guard at the start of the fight. His continued attempts just became predictable and Jones punished him for it. It's particularly risky to pull guard against Jones because the dude's length allows him to land elbows from the guard. He doesn't even have to transition to do serious damage.

It's going to take someone more adept at subs than ol' Vitor to be able to use that strat vs Jones, or else you just put yourself in a position to eat elbows and get finished.
Vitor didn't just go for a flukey arm bar in that instance. Vitor saw something in Jones ground game that leads him to believe its the best place to score a finish against him. If Vitor thought it would be best to stand in the pocket he would have. Vitor doesn't fight for decisions. He looks to finish no matter what. Vitor and his team saw something on tape that caused him to gameplan around getting a sub.

Two guys that I want to see fight Jones are Mousasi and King Mo because both guys are good in scrambles.

NoTacos

He's so cocky. To even think that he could win with that badly dislocated elbow, even though he did, was further proof of his arrogance. He should have tapped as soon as Vitor locked it in as any humble fighter would have done. He essentially broke an unspoken rule of mixed martial arts prize fighting by not conceding defeat to a legend of the sport like Vitor. He's lucky that Vitor is so honorable and didn't decide to break his arm outright.

What a prick.
If Jones' elbow was severely dislocated he wouldn't have been able to use it after the first round.

If Vitor wasn't willing to break Jones' arm then he really didn't want to win that fight. No disrespect to either party, but that's the way this game is played. They're not fighting for just pride, they're fighting for the strap.

Don't believe me? Just ask Frank Mir.

As much as I dislike Canderson, he did call and offer to take the spot against Jones at UFC 151 if it would have saved the card.

Two guys that I want to see fight Jones are Mousasi and King Mo because both guys are good in scrambles.

Ryback.gif

Feed him more. The number is what 9 defenses to pass Silva?

I've seen Mousasi and Lawell fight and the results would be the same. The Dhalsim-like standup, the ground and pound or the submission game.

Who is he really going to fight? Chael Sonnen? Michael Bisping? Brian Stann? Hamill? Okami?

I think the winner of Weidman and Bisping should face Silva.
I love Andy but if it's Weidman he might demand GSP or just hang em up. I don't think Weidman would beat him, but he has the best chance and the lowest name recognition. There's absolutely no reason Silva would want to take that fight.

Trigger

Imagine this fight only if Vitor had worse TDD and forgot all his BJJ. That's how the Hendo/Bones fight will go.

Fxd6o.gif

This is true.

Why? Vitor is the better fight. Henderson's only hope is to get inside. And even though Henderson has an uncanny ability to get people to engage with him in the pocket, Jones doesn't seem to be one of those guys. Vitor tried to entice Jones a few times by dropping his lead hand. And Jones didn't bite at all.

Yeah, I'm just a bigger fan of Henderson is all.

Zeliard

Vitor didn't just go for a flukey arm bar in that instance. Vitor saw something in Jones ground game that leads him to believe its the best place to score a finish against him. If Vitor thought it would be best to stand in the pocket he would have. Vitor doesn't fight for decisions. He looks to finish no matter what. Vitor and his team saw something on tape that caused him to gameplan around getting a sub.

Vitor falters away when he knows he's beat. It's the story of his career.

One of the biggest reasons Chael was so effective against Anderson in the first fight is because he was super-aggressive when almost nobody else was. That's what it'll take to beat Jones, not someone who falls on his back and prays for a sub.

There are no strong submission fighters at 205, so outside of catching Jones when he isn't prepared, you're going to be hard-pressed to beat him on the ground. Go for subs if he happens to take you to the ground, of course, but willingly putting yourself into a position where Jones tends to cream his opponents isn't a sound plan.

As much as I dislike Canderson, he did call and offer to take the spot against Jones at UFC 151 if it would have saved the card.

LOL, no. He asked Dana to fight another LHW, not Jones. (probably someone like Bonnar. He wouldn't fight his "friends" Jones, Machida, Shogun, Glover, etc)

charsace

Why do people keep saying Vitor should have rushed Jones? All that would have accomplished is Vitor getting clinched and kneed. Everyone that has taken an knee from Jones ended up on queer street on some rubber legs. Shogun ate knees in the first and never recovered. Rampage ate knees and was out of it. Machida ate knees in the second and was out of it. If Jones lands a good knee on you you're fuck. Running straight at him only to get clinched up and eat a knee would be dumb. Jones is pretty fucking safe when he has you in the clinch and he's standing tall over you while using his strength and long legs to feed you knees from a mile away.

Why do people hold the Sak loss against him? At the time he lost to Sak, Sak was one of the top fighters in the world. Its not like he didn't crush Wand "can crusher" Silva the fight before.

This fight also highlighted how Goldy always has to get subtly checked by Rogan. Joe seems to try not to embarrass him.

GOldy: "Jones with that front oblique kick. He loves to use that!"
Rogan: "Actually that was the the front side kick to the knee"
Goldy: "But he uses it to set up the oblique kick!"

Goldy is like the Michael Scott of MMA.
Joe Rogan said tonight, and I quote:
Joe Rogan said:
Nick Diaz-esque in his striking is Jimy Hettes
I shit you not.

LOL, no. He asked Dana to fight another LHW, not Jones. (probably someone like Bonnar. He wouldn't fight his "friends" Jones, Machida, Shogun, Glover, etc)

I like how quickly Anderson becomes friends with all of the top LHW guys. He's probably desperately waiting for Weidman to accept his Facebook request so he can duck that fight too.

Heel

Let the truth of your beloved trainer be shown though, when he infects Jones with his virus so thoroughly that he can only decision a middleweight that Anderson destroyed in a matter of minutes.

Let's cut the bet short to whether or not Bones will finish Victor then.

I'll do it, and I'll even put up my thread posting for the rest of the year.

I don't want you to stop posting or anything, just the avatar bet. Lets make it valid until Bones finishes someone if I lose, and until Bones decisions someone if you lose. Deal?

You're on.

Ballgame.

5858ul.jpg

NoTacos

Why do people keep saying Vitor should have rushed Jones? All that would have accomplished is Vitor getting clinched and kneed. Everyone that has taken an knee from Jones ended up on queer street on some rubber legs. Shogun ate knees in the first and never recovered. Rampage ate knees and was out of it. Machida ate knees in the second and was out of it. If Jones lands a good knee on you you're fuck. Running straight at him only to get clinched up and eat a knee would be dumb. Jones is pretty fucking safe when he has you in the clinch and he's standing tall over you while using his strength and long legs to feed you knees from a mile away.

LOL to be honest, a flying knee KO by Jones would have been legendary.

Brinbe

Well, that Main Event was easily worth the price of admin. Disappointed (but obviously not surprised) that Belfort didn't prevail, but damn, I loved that crowd.

Jon Jones is on Fuel right now breaking down the fight in a way that most fighters don't.. he's being pretty open in this interview, not his normal fake bullshit

Alchemy

Cormier is the only one that has a chance out of those guys. And only because of his clinch game and movement.

Sonnen gets ripped apart and Henderson has a shot with his iron skull and big right hand (likely a Uni Dec for Bones or a Sub in a later round). I'm a little worried about Cormier cutting down to LHW though. The guy is pretty husky.

So... Do we still hate Jon Jones?
I never really hated him, but i'm still pissed about wasting money on a flight to Vegas to see him fight and was getting tired of him acting so fake... looks like he's shedding the whole fake act now so that's a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom