• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 184 |OT| - Ronda Rousey vs Cat Zingano

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just realized Vinny D is hitting that tonight. Now I'm salty.

Anyone arguing Ronda would body male UFC fighters is Shaqtin a fool.

vypek

I wonder if Cat watched the fight alongside Schaub.

b2.gif

lol

FUME5

Just realized Vinny D is hitting that tonight. Now I'm salty.

Anyone arguing Ronda would body male UFC fighters is Shaqtin a fool.

They would throw her against some pillow fisted dudes and she would win. Obviously, she would be incredibly, incredibly disadvantaged against the real contenders.

They would throw her against some pillow fisted dudes and she would win. Obviously, she would be incredibly, incredibly disadvantaged against the real contenders.

Somebody who is pillow fisted against men would body a woman. The strength/speed differences are real. She could not beat any man in the UFC. Y'all sounding like the people that thought Britney Griner could run with NBA players.

Somebody who is pillow fisted against men would body a woman. The strength/speed differences are real. She could not beat any man in the UFC. Y'all sounding like the people that thought Britney Griner could run with NBA players.

i mean, i THINK she would be able to at least make some of the men tap out from a submission if she brought it to the ground.

she is a grappling genius.

i doubt she lasts long if the fight is standing up.

charsace

No, the division is really new and filled with a joke of talent.
It isn't though. You have a woman who was a champion in women's boxing, olympic judoka, olympic wrestler. What men's division can make the same claim? What woman can they find to fight Ronda?

The issue with the division is that Ronda has a lot more overall tools than the rest of the division. She's big, strong, athletic, a great grappler, and has KO power.

What woman can they get? The only one is Cyborg who obviously juices like crazy and is too scared to get off the juice and go down to 135. Because without the juice she would get tooled for sure.

i mean, i THINK she would be able to at least make some of the men tap out from a submission if she brought it to the ground.

That's assuming she could pull it off with the strength difference...

BadAss2961

It isn't though. You have a woman who was a champion in women's boxing, olympic judoka, olympic wrestler. What men's division can make the same claim? What woman can they find to fight Ronda?

The issue with the division is that Ronda has a lot more overall tools than the rest of the division. She's big, strong, athletic, a great grappler, and has KO power.

What woman can they get? The only one is Cyborg who obviously juices like crazy and is too scared to get off the juice and go down to 135. Because without the juice she would get tooled for sure.
Cyborg just tested clean and destroyed some chick last night. I believe she also said she's willing to try 135 for UFC.

FUME5

I'm no fool, I'm not arguing that there isn't a strength or speed gap, that's simple biology.

Rousey is a great fighter and I think she could find a way to win against more men than you give her credit for, but she would get fucking monstered by the real contenders.

Not going to happen, it would be suicide for the UFC to even consider it.

BadAss2961

It wouldn't go to the ground. Any man in the UFC would just pummel her out the gate, and that would be it.

I'm no fool, I'm not arguing that there isn't a strength or speed gap, that's simple biology.

Rousey is a great fighter and I think she could find a way to win against more men than you give her credit for, but she would get fucking monstered by the real contenders.

Not going to happen, it would be suicide for the UFC to even consider it.

I mean, I guess if you hand picked some out of shape old dude doing the county fair circuit, who had no stand up to speak of...but anybody in the UFC? Even the 25th best guy in the UFC is still probably the 25th best guy in the world at what he does.

charsace

Cyborg just tested clean and destroyed some chick last night. I believe she also said she's willing to try 135 for UFC.

You say that as if it means something. Easy to piss clean when you aren't being randomly drug tested. The one time she got caught is because she was stupid with her cycling.

vypek

Fox Sports 1 is getting ready to talk about Holly Holm and had the phrase "A new contender emerges?" when advertising what they want to talk about after break. I guess people want to see her fight Ronda soon since there is pretty much no one else. I can't imagine her winning though

Booshka

It's like the best College Football team versus worst NFL team argument. It's nonsense, it's an entirely different level of athleticism and competition.

Rousey is the undisputed best for Women's MMA, can't we just celebrate that instead of punching up to impossible expectations?

FUME5

I mean, I guess if you hand picked some out of shape old dude doing the county fair circuit, who had no stand up to speak of...but anybody in the UFC? Even the 25th best guy in the UFC is still probably the 25th best guy in the world at what he does.

Hah, cotton eye Joe would definitely get fucked up.

*EDIT*

Dan Severn is probably on that circuit, now that you mention it.

LAM09

I really thought this fight would be more of a contest than her last one, but how wrong was I.

She's dominating the Woman's divisions, and I don't see anyone beating her anytime soon.

Dr.Acula

Banned
What about when Bobby Riggs lost.

It's kinda an interesting story.

Riggs had, a few months earlier, crushed a better player, the women's #1 Margaret Court (Court owns a 4-1 record over Billie Jean King in slams) in a battle-of-the-sexes match. There is some speculation that Riggs threw the match to King in order to square some debts he owed to the mafia through some bookies. Everyone denies this. Some say Riggs was hungover and out of shape, some say he just got beat.

Riggs had no doubt he would defeat Margaret Court. "I'm just going to destroy her," he told his son, Larry.

And over the next three months, Riggs trained 10 to 12 hours a day, playing hours of tennis against outstanding young male players and running miles alongside a San Diego golf course. This was Riggs' usual routine: train, rigorously, for a big match. "Never underestimate opponents," Riggs advised in his list of rules for competition titled "You Too Are Champions" published in the late '60s.

By the time she faced Riggs, Court was 30 years old and had won 18 of her previous 25 tournaments, including three majors -- the U.S. Open, Australian and French. She was one of the most dominant players of all time, having won a total of 62 Grand Slam singles and doubles events in her career -- a feat never matched by a man or a woman. Still, the odds-makers, all men, installed Riggs as the betting favorite in the Las Vegas sports books. The match attracted a fair amount of action; nearly everyone bet on Bobby Riggs.

On May 13, 1973, an overflow crowd of fans and celebrities assembled at San Diego Country Estates in Ramona, Calif., and more than 30 million people watched on CBS. Before the first serve, Riggs handed Court a bouquet of red roses. She curtsied.

Riggs made few errors and relied on his masterful service game and trademark lob while Court looked flummoxed and hit shot after shot into the net. Riggs coasted, winning 6-2, 6-1. "Sometimes I look back and think, 'Why did I need to do it?'" Court now says. "I was No. 1 in the world in tennis. … Look, we all make mistakes in life, and probably that was one of my mistakes."

"As soon as Margaret lost, I said, 'I have to play,'" King, 69, told "Outside the Lines" in an interview last week. "I knew I was going to say yes and I knew that it was on, the match was on." And she knew she had to win. A boxing promoter and television producer named Jerry Perenchio, who promoted the Ali-Frazier bout in 1971 as "The Fight," organized "The Battle of the Sexes" between King and Riggs. He put up a $100,000 winner-take-all prize for the best-of-five sets match and arranged for it to be played in the Houston Astrodome in prime-time on national television.

Riggs flew home to California. His son, Larry, says he was friendly with an investor named Steve Powers, who had a Beverly Hills estate renowned for its wild, all-night parties. "Bobby and I had a deal -- he got to stay at my house as long as he entertained my guests, and he did that," Powers says. "He didn't ask much of me -- just get him laid with the wild women in L.A. And I did that."

In July, Riggs moved into Powers' guest house, where he lived -- and partied -- during the eight weeks prior to the King match.

"Steve had his maid, and she wore the French maid outfit with no underwear on the top or the bottom," Larry Riggs says. "That set the tone for the parties at nighttime. … It was just a wild time to be had by everybody, including my dad."

With a glass of bourbon in his left hand and a glass of Coca-Cola in his right, Bobby Riggs would take big swigs from both glasses and mix the liquids in his mouth before swallowing. And he was always puffing on a fat cigar. "I had never seen him really drink as much as he was then," Larry Riggs says. "And it concerned me."

Kuhle's job was to train Riggs, but for the first time anyone could remember, Riggs refused to practice with solid players or even exercise, his son says. Not once did he use Powers' lighted tennis court to do anything but goof around for the cameras or hustle matches. Instead, he'd play stragglers off the street for a few quick bucks. "It's very hard to turn down $500 if a guy wants to come out and play for $500. He can put that in his pocket," Kuhle says. "There was so much commotion going on, and he just felt he could beat her on roller skates."

Ronda would be mentally beat before she even stepped inside the octagon to fight any guy from the UFC.

She wouldn't be able to take a punch or stand after getting several leg kicks.

The strength differences are real.

Derpyduck

Banned
Saying she could beat a male UFC fighter is as dumb as when people were saying Alabama could beat the worst NFL team. She'd get destroyed.

The UFC would be crazy to even consider having her fight a man at her own weight class. It'd be completely unfair to even ask that of her.

Dr.Acula

Banned
No way she could beat a UFC 135lbs dude.

A 185lbs CM Punk? I think maybe.

She could beat the can that CM Punk will fight lol

Oscar

People actually believe she could beat male ufc fighters? SMDH. Really think about what you're saying.

Seriously.

I've been training BJJ since 2006 and have rolled with chicks that have solid technique. We're just built differently, and can muscle them with ease. Ronda is fucking amazing, the equivalent of a prime Mike Tyson with how she's cleared the division, but any UFC male bantamweight would smash her in a MMA bout.

If we're talking a Metamoris style grappling match, she could probably force a draw. An MMA bout? Hell no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom