• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only saw one failed toss attempt, one take down by Holm (and rather easily at that) and a couple of clinches. I don't see where Rousey tried to take her down multiple times. I sincerely believe she wanted to beat Holm via strikes, just to show that she could. It's most definitely just an opinion based on what I saw, and not to discredit Holm in any way (she was amazing), but I think the grappling/toss attempts that did happen were half-hearted and not really part of her game plan.

Maybe so during the first couple minutes of the first round. However after that, that plan should have been thrown straight in the trash. I have a hard time believing Rousey did this to herself essentially by trying to do something just to say she could.

What happened was Holm wouldn't let her close the gap and Rousey didn't know how to move that big head of hers on a swivel and ate punch after punch. Holm handled her. Give credit where credit is due.

But the GIFs would live forever, and her brand still tarnished. No amount of drugs in Holly's body would ever explain how shit Ronda was.

However a bunch of drugs in Ronda's body on the other hand...

This whole idea of an image getting tarnished because of a single loss is really weird. Even a devastating KO loss like this doesn't have the same effect on a fighters repuation in MMA that it does in something like Boxing.

If she comes back with a win in dominant fashion, this will get chalked up to a bad night. If Holly pops hot (she shouldn't) then the effectiveness of the strikes that landed will be questioned. Ronda's been hit hard before. Tate's lit her up during exchanges in previous fights. This is the first time she was rocked this badly though. It's most likely just the fact that Holly is a better striker than Tate, more technically sound, meaning the power is delivered more efficiently. Strange stuff happens sometimes though.

Maybe so during the first couple minutes of the first round. However after that, that plan should have been thrown straight in the trash. I have a hard time believing Rousey did this to herself essentially by trying to do something just to say she could.

What happened was Holm wouldn't let her close the gap and Rousey didn't know how to move that big head of hers on a swivel and ate punch after punch. Holm handled her. Give credit where credit is due.

It's not discrediting Holm to say that Ronda was determined to strike. Holm did what she should do, stick to her own gameplan and win. But you have to remember that Ronda is both very proud and trusts her very poor trainer, who told her in between rounds that she had had a great round 1.

ronda-rousey-the-ring-100-first-woman-cover-ld.jpg

ronda pls

Can't wait for De La Hoya's Dear Boxing Community apology letter for putting her on the cover.

Hey Dude

Banned
I just rewatched it too and I don't think I can do another time. You ever see something so embarrassing happen to someone else that you get embarrassed?
I honestly believe she topped lesnars humiliating loss to cain. Im sitting here laughing my ass off at how awful she looked. Im kinda starting to feel bad for her.

As someone who isn't too familiar with MMA/UFC (I mostly follow boxing) and only know of Rousey from what I've read in the headlines, I was shocked to read that she was only 12-0 going into this match. How did she generate so much hype by only being 12-0? Is that considered a lot in MMA?

In boxing, you don't get the kind of hype she got until you're at least in the mid/upper 20s of consecutive wins with a third against strong competition. I had been reading articles about how she could beat Floyd Mayweather, so I assumed she at least had a long track record in MMA and fought and defeated a ton of different styles.

So for those in the know, was she severely overhyped or was this one of the legit shocks in sports by a massive underdog, Buster Douglas style?

As someone who isn't too familiar with MMA/UFC (I mostly follow boxing) and only know of Rousey from what I've read in the headlines, I was shocked to read that she was only 12-0 going into this match. How did she generate so much hype by only being 12-0? Is that considered a lot in MMA?

In boxing, you don't get the kind of hype she got until you're at least in the mid/upper 20s of consecutive wins with a third against strong competition. I had been reading articles about how she could beat Floyd Mayweather, so I assumed she at least had a long track record in MMA and fought and defeated a ton of different styles.

So for those in the know, was she severely overhyped or was this one of the legit shocks in sports by a massive underdog, Buster Douglas style?

In MMA it is much easier to lose than boxing. There are so many different ways of losing. Stringing together any decent streak of consecutive victories is incredibly impressive

Turin

Banned
Can't argue about Jon Jones.

Ironically, he's more likable when he drops the nice guy act.

Rhonda needed to cool it a bit.

zewone

12-0 is a lot in MMA.

From what I understand in boxing, its the norm to pad your numbers with gimmie fights. They also fight more often I think.

Before this fight, only one previous fight went out of the 1st round. 9 of her wins were within the first minute. She's extremely dominant.

This whole idea of an image getting tarnished because of a single loss is really weird. Even a devastating KO loss like this doesn't have the same effect on a fighters repuation in MMA that it does in something like Boxing.

If she comes back with a win in dominant fashion, this will get chalked up to a bad night. If Holly pops hot (she shouldn't) then the effectiveness of the strikes that landed will be questioned. Ronda's been hit hard before. Tate's lit her up during exchanges in previous fights. This is the first time she was rocked this badly though. It's most likely just the fact that Holly is a better striker than Tate, more technically sound, meaning the power is delivered more efficiently. Strange stuff happens sometimes though.

Her entire brand is predicated on the idea that she was unbeatable. If her brand was simply being a great/dominant fighter then yeah her brand doesn't take a hit. But again the entire thing behind Ronda was not only that she was a dominant fighter, but that she was the unbeatable once in a lifetime phenom who is untouchable and that no woman could stand up to her. Not only did she lose but she was thoroughly outclassed in all aspects of the fight. Add in the ridiculous not necessary trash talk, the weigh in shenanigans, her interviews, how she carries herself believing her own hype. Even if she comes back and does well/dominates it's still a HUGE black eye to her image.

As for the whole "bad night" thing, they can't really push that angle (and insinuating that Holly Holm just got lucky) because it makes Ronda look even worse. She lost to someone who is a scrub? Then how good is Ronda really?

Edit: And she really can't play the "bad night" card after talking shit about how you about to smash this girl and being a gigantic twat at ring in and refusing to touch gloves.

BadAss2961

Compared to boxing, it doesn't take many wins to get to the top in MMA. There's UFC legends that are barely over .500 to end their careers. Ronda's a great fighter but was still severely overhyped and Holly was no Buster Douglas. Unlike Mike, she lost to a better fighter than her.

Think about it this way. To lose in boxing you either get outboxed or you get KOd with a punch.

In MMA you can be outboxed
Eat elbows
Eat kicks
Eat knees
Get outwrestled
Get submitted
Etc.

There are literally more ways to lose. Thats why staying undefeated in MMA is so difficult

boxing is totally different. you're brought up slowly in boxing, fighting total cans, then fighting guys decent at a few aspects of the game, then fighting journeymen, and then fighting for titles. this doesn't even take into account an amateur career that many boxers have. in mma, you graduate from shitty competition much earlier on, and if you have any promise at all you start fighting more evently matched fighters within your first 5 - 6 matches.
Compared to boxing, it doesn't take many wins to get to the top in MMA. Ronda's a great fighter but was still severely overhyped and Holly was no Buster Douglas. Unlike Mike, she lost to a better fighter than her.
I actually think Buster Douglas is better than Tyson in a lot of ways... he never kept it together to have a great career, but he had the tools to be great, tools other fighters who beat Tyson later had. The phenomenon that was Mike Tyson probably wouldn't have happened if he started his career +/-10 years.

Dr.Acula

Banned

It's not like boxing where fighters crush cans all the way up. She cleaned out the entire division. Now admittedly, the division was hella week, but she took on every contender they had.

Plus, she was tearing through people like vintage Mike Tyson. Arm-bar submitting everyone, frequently getting first-round finishes. She was never really tested. Her last hard fight took her to three rounds. The next four fights she ended in 2:10 *combined*.

She was clowning people in an unprecedented fashion.

The only person she can be accused of 'ducking' tested positive for steroids in another weight class with another organization.

MastAndo

Yeah, like I said, I don't mean to discredit Holm. I've watched a lot of competitive fighting, and I can't recall the last time I've seen such an impressive performance, given the context. I've watched it three times already and am still in awe. That said, I still think Rousey let her ego get in the way and wanted to stand up and throw. There was the one toss attempt and that was it. Holm most definitely showed slick footwork evading a charging Rousey, but she was clearly (to me at least) looking to throw punches rather than clinch and toss.

Yeah, like I said, I don't mean to discredit Holm. I've watched a lot of competitive fighting, and I can't recall the last time I've seen such an impressive performance, given the context. I've watched it three times already and am still in awe. That said, I still think Rousey let her ego get in the way and wanted to stand up and throw. There was the one toss attempt and that was it. Holm most definitely showed slick footwork evading a charging Rousey, but she was clearly (to me at least) looking to throw punches rather than clinch and toss.
I think Rousey started the fight off this way, and about midway through the first round she got rocked (it occurs right before she awkwardly takes Holm down and attempts and armbar). After that, she's noticeably less coordinated and continues to make terrible decisions. I still think she's a better fighter than Holm given their resumes, but maybe Holm has better grappling skills and TDD than I gave her credit for... if that's the case, she's superior to Rousey.
im watching this again right now

she literally never moved her fucking head lol. just ate punches while walking in a straight line. embarrassing stuff.
She's like this in all her fights. I thought she looked terrible in her last victory over Bethe Correira -- she ate plenty of punches but managed to land a few of her own to send Bethe to the canvas. After which, Joe Rogan starts saying Rousey has legit standup blah blah blah. come on.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Edit: Actually, let me rephrase that. Why was Ronda's boxing so bad considering wiki says her specialty is judo and boxing?

Turin

Banned
12-0 is a lot in MMA.

From what I understand in boxing, its the norm to pad your numbers with gimmie fights. They also fight more often I think.

Yeah. That's something promoters do a lot to get their guy to a title fight.

They fight more often in the early part of their careers to build the record. Then it becomes 2-3 fights a year once you've reached the top level.

The nebulous state of boxing is rather frustrating. Especially when two promoters won't do business with each other.

BadAss2961

I actually think Buster Douglas is better than Tyson in a lot of ways... he never kept it together to have a great career, but he had the tools to be great, tools other fighters who beat Tyson later had. The phenomenon that was Mike Tyson probably wouldn't have happened if he started his career +/-10 years.
Buster was only better that night. It was the perfect storm of him having nothing to lose with the death in his family and Mike being so unprepared. Mike still nearly knocked him out whereas Ronda was just badly outclassed.

I don't understand people saying Ronda shouldn't have tried boxing against Holm. Wiki says her (Ronda's) specialty is judo and boxing.

Think of it like this. The boxing on her resume is like the "financial adviser" is on a head cashier's resume.

It's just bullshit.

Ronda's boxing is horrible. HORRIBLE. Ronda would lose to Laila Ali's daughter...and she's like 5.

Buster was only better that night. It was the perfect storm of him having nothing to lose with the death in his family and Mike being so unprepared. Mike still nearly knocked him out whereas Ronda was just badly outclassed.

maybe it was a flash in the pan, but Buster outclassed Tyson that night. yeah, he was knocked down, but I recall he landed way more punches than Tyson and his jab was god-tier that night. Buster had the physical attributes to be a champ. too bad he ate himself into obscurity, obesity, and an early death.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Edit: Actually, let me rephrase that. Why was Ronda's boxing so bad considering wiki says her specialty is judo and boxing?
Wiki selling you wolftickets, she's always had bad standup, but her grappling and forcing her way through punches for a clinch mitigated that. Holly stood outside and dismantled her and all she could do was chase.

BadAss2961

Think of it like this. The boxing on her resume is like the "financial adviser" is on a head cashier's resume.

It's just bullshit.

Ronda's boxing is horrible. HORRIBLE. Ronda would lose to Laila Ali's daughter...and she's like 5.
There were guys early in the thread saying they weren't convinced that Holly was a better boxer than Ronda. Just completely shat on women's boxing.

Man its depressing to think about but after some of this stuff started surfacing about Edmund I'm starting to get the vibe he was just leeching off her for money. Like he was just filling her head with all this stuff about how "amazing her boxing is" and how he would train her to be a "pro boxer" and everything while not believing any of it.

Hope its not true because if so its pretty sad :-(

There were guys early in the thread saying they weren't convinced that Holly was a better boxer than Ronda. Just completely shat on women's boxing.

I was one of them and I stand by what I said. In the videos that were linked in this thread the boxing level was trash

Turin

Banned
Prime Tyson would still have had trouble with Douglas that night. Mike might've won but it's a rough style match up no matter what.

Baby Milo

its bad breh just from watching this fight

fighting a southpaw but did nothing to win the footwork battle of keeping her front foot outside. she prob didn't even know about this because she walked into Holly's cross all night.
walking in a straight line while attacking/defending
hands down
zero head movement
her eyes should have been focused on holly's left the whole fight.

BadAss2961

maybe it was a flash in the pan, but Buster outclassed Tyson that night. yeah, he was knocked down, but I recall he landed way more punches than Tyson and his jab was god-tier that night. Buster had the physical attributes to be a champ. too bad he ate himself into obscurity, obesity, and an early death.
It was definitely a flash in the pan. Mike got knocked out in sparring before the fight. That was not him.

It's nice to feel vindicated against all the self professed MMA experts that kept telling me how Rousey was just so good and not the people she was fighting were jokes.

Anyone with eyes could have seen what was really going on.

Her entire brand is predicated on the idea that she was unbeatable. If her brand was simply being a great/dominant fighter then yeah her brand doesn't take a hit. But again the entire thing behind Ronda was not only that she was a dominant fighter, but that she was the unbeatable once in a lifetime phenom who is untouchable and that no woman could stand up to her. Not only did she lose but she was thoroughly outclassed in all aspects of the fight. Add in the ridiculous not necessary trash talk, the weigh in shenanigans, her interviews, how she carries herself believing her own hype. Even if she comes back and does well/dominates it's still a HUGE black eye to her image.

As for the whole "bad night" thing, they can't really push that angle (and insinuating that Holly Holm just got lucky) because it makes Ronda look even worse. She lost to someone who is a scrub? Then how good is Ronda really?

Her brand is based on dominance, not being unbeatable. The nature of MMA and the multiple fight styles people use means that, more than any other combat sport, a loss can happen to anyone at any time.

Losing on an off night then continuing to dominate doesn't make her look bad at all. Otherwise GSP wouldn't still have sponsors after retiring from the sport. Cain got similarly propped right back up after avenging his loss to JDS. Matt Hughes rep was still solid after dropping losing to BJ Penn either. MMA is much more forgiving of losses when a fighters goes on a winning streak.

DMczaf

Even the GIFs that people posted of her KOs to prove she had standup were sloppy as fuck and just seemed like she bullrushed her way passed her lack of skill.

She just doesn't have standup, it's ok. There's nothing wrong with that.

she literally never moved her fucking head lol. just ate punches while walking in a straight line. embarrassing stuff. a champ fighting in straight lines come on son.

Yeah, you really notice on the second playback. Her head never moved. Not once did she try to dodge. It boggles my mind.

It's nice to feel vindicated against all the self professed MMA experts that kept telling me how Rousey was just so good and not the people she was fighting were jokes.

Anyone with eyes could have seen what was really going on.

Rousey is legitimately great. Holly Holm is also great.

Is it that hard to grasp? Holm can win without Ronda being a fraud. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

I was one of them and I stand by what I said. In the videos that were linked in this thread the boxing level was trash

Compared to what female? Laila? Sure. But trash? Not even. Ronda, now THAT'S trash in ALL aspects.

Honestly Taekwondo practitioners have better stand up than Ronda.

Let that sink in.

Ronda is atrocious at stand-up compared to a world class boxer (her opponent).

So that gif of her chasing and throwing huge swings without balance or force was never the right thing to even attempt. You see the desperation and the abandoned game-plan.

Compared to what female? Laila? Sure. But trash? Not even. Ronda, now THAT'S trash in ALL aspects.

Honestly Taekwondo practitioners have better stand up than Ronda.

Let that sink in.

Why would I have to "let that sink in"

There are Taekwondo practitioner's that are incredible striker. Boxing isnt the only or best form of striking.

And yes Rondas stand up is garbage as was proven in this fight. Thats why we have people fight, to find out who is the best.

Turin

Banned

What?

But yeah. The guy had talent to be a top level competitor.

I don't think he actually had Mike's number though. Evander Holyfield is Tyson's true nemesis.

BobLoblaw

Banned

she literally never moved her fucking head lol. just ate punches while walking in a straight line. embarrassing stuff. a champ fighting in straight lines come on son.
To be fair, she isn't the only champion to ever do that. Rocky Balboa did the same thing. Can't recall anyone else like that though.

BadAss2961

And now we finally have proof that Ronda would look worse if she had to fight them in their sport. She's not a good boxer, which is all people with boxing sense were saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom