• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this finally stops all the idiots from making the argument that Ronda could beat Mayweather in a fight. Ronda just got stopped by a boxer. Floyd is arguably the best boxer to ever live. It's more likely Floyd would kill Ronda than Ronda beating Floyd.

-MD-

184492.gif

I hope this finally stops all the idiots from making the argument that Ronda could beat Mayweather in a fight. Ronda just got stopped by a boxer. Floyd is arguably the best boxer to ever live. It's more likely Floyd would kill Ronda than Ronda beating Floyd.

They'll still make the argument. Something about "one good hit" or "she just needs to take him down".

I mean good luck getting that take down, especially if Floyd is using MMA gloves instead of boxing gloves. I suggest she not lead with the "throw your head into the fist repeatedly to wear them out" strategy. It only works in that Jake Gyllenhaal movie.

Oh I know, I took TKD for 4 years (8-12) before taking Kickboxing in college. Eye opening experience.

I personally only did about a year or a year and a half at around 13 years old, but there were a lot of good people out there at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal. Did Gymnastics from the age of 3 to about 12 years old tho and had been to the regionals multiples times, so my athleticism was good. Then went on in Boxing from the age of 15, won the regionals at 17 and continued boxing on and off ti'll I was around 24-25 . I still continue hitting the bag and stuff but since around 23 I prioritized kickboxing a lot. I'm 27 now.

I fucking love martial arts, I was thinking about following some judo classes next. Boxing was the gamechanger for me, a eye opener of all kinds. My nose is a bit crooked due to it though :( haha.

I personally only did about a year or a year and a half, but there were a lot of good people out there at Centre Pierre Charbonneau in Montreal at around 13 years old . Did Gymnastics from the age of 3 to about 12 years old tho and had been to the regionals multiples times, so my athleticism was good. Then went on in Boxing from the age of 15, won the regionals at 17 and continued boxing on and off ti'll I was around 24-25 . I still continue hitting the bag and stuff but since around 23 I prioritized kickboxing a lot. I'm 27 now.

I fucking love martial arts, I was thinking about following some judo classes next. Boxing was the gamechanger for me, a eye opener of all kinds.

I did it because my mom held it over my head in order to do the things I wanted to do (draw, play videogames). My mom wanted me to be active in sports so she signed me up for all kinds of things. That and it was a great way to burn the time living in another country as a military brat. That and basically all of my friends were in my TKD classes haha. Though I have to admit, it wasn't 4 continuous years, I took many a "break" that ranged anywhere from 1-7 months at a time.

Yeah all these sports are so different. What surprises me a lot is how bad lowkicks are in mma (in most cases).

Eeeeh, Even a kick thrown badly can hurt as hell depending on when and where it's thrown. I'll always remember my first sparring session against a MMA practitioner when I started kickboxing. Got my leg fucked so bad due to me stepping in with a jab. Leg was kicked right above the knee on the outside the moment I was stepping in. Felt like a baseball bat had just hit it. I cringe everytime Aldo throws one haha, the faber fight was horrifying.

I did it because my mom held it over my head in order to do the things I wanted to do (draw, play videogames). My mom wanted me to be active in sports so she signed me up for all kinds of things. That and it was a great way to burn the time living in another country as a military brat. That and basically all of my friends were in my TKD classes haha. Though I have to admit, it wasn't 4 continuous years, I took many a "break" that ranged anywhere from 1-7 months at a time.
Can't understand you there! I was the brat who wanted to do it everytime haha. Boxing was my getaway from depression for a while so all my focus was in it, pretty sure it saved me.

Anyway's! HOW ABOUT THAT KNOCKOUT! (says he trying to change the conversation awkwardly. xD)

Eeeeh, Even a kick thrown badly can hurt as hell depending on when and where it's thrown. I'll always remember my first sparring session against a MMA practitioner when I started kickboxing. Got my leg fucked so bad due to me stepping in with a jab. Leg was kicked right above the knee on the outside the moment I was stepping in. Felt like a baseball bat had just hit it. I cringe everytime Aldo throws one haha, the faber fight was horrifying.
True. Exactly why GOOD lowkicks can be supereffective. :p.

I doubt this fight will change anyone's mind. It was always absurd for anyone to suggest that Mayweather wouldn't completely destroy Rousey. Absurd viewpoints are not easily changed.

Holm fought brilliantly and exposed one of Rousey's weaknesses. Rousey chased her around when she didn't have the stamina to do so and left herself open to an accurate boxer. She was completely out of her element. This is precisely why she would have a 0% chance of ever beating Mayweather. Floyd has a heck of a lot more power, speed, accuracy, stamina, and experience than Holm does. If Floyd and Rousey were to fight 1000 times, Rousey would win exactly 0 of them.

tkscz

So this is what I'm wondering now, what does this say about Ronda's opponents? Holly, like Ronda, was without a single loss, and yet Ronda would win her fights in seconds. So were her opponents bad and she never really had to try that hard? Or was she really so full of herself at this point that she felt she could run straight in and get an instant KO?

Bold One

from the highlights I've seen Rhonda looked unfit and uncoordinated

way too eager to land a hit and left herself open

MMA and UFC bloodsports are awful though

So this is what I'm wondering now, what does this say about Ronda's opponents? Holly, like Ronda, was without a single loss, and yet Ronda would win her fights in seconds. So were her opponents bad and she never really had to try that hard? Or was she really so full of herself at this point that she felt she could run straight in and get an instant KO?

Styles makes fights. Holm created and kept her distance the way she needed to and kept her composure, something that other fighters before didn't. *cough* Zingano* cough*

That's just perfect lol

Xe4

Banned

Well, the number one thing is they played into Rondas game perfectly, and Holm didn't. In fact Rousey played perfectly into Holm's game. And the other fighters weren't exactly the best ever either. It's a pretty weak field at the moment, unfortunatly, but it's getting better quickly as tonight showed.

Cappa

Banned
just rewatched round 1.... lol at Rondas corner talk after the round

"champ champ keep it up beautiful work"

what the fuck? Probably the reason she got destroyed... her corner is terrible Edmond Tarverdyan is a complete tool.

The truth is; Sometimes even the best are off. Wrong strategy, bad mental state up to a fight. It's no joke they say 70% of the fight is decided before you even enter the ring/octagon.

if you study someones game. Really study it, you will be able to find weaknesses. It is possible that Ronda underestimated Holly and thus didn't prepare as much as she should have.
But look at it this way. After GSP lost he became a much much better fighter. The loss was sort of what he needed to carry himself to a higher state. That could be true for Ronda too. Or it could be the beginning of a downward streak if this affects her confidence.

pants

There were multiple moments in the fight where ronda realized just how out classed and borderline ridiculous she looked. She would catch herself and posture up to save face, leaving behind a piece of her soul each time. It was like watching a manifestation of her personality. Super aggressive, trying to fabricate a reaction that best suites her desired environment. The longer her opponent dissmissed her attempts, the more frustrated she became with the emptiness of her dillusions. Culminating to a broken vessel with no other substance to be found other than an empty void by which to repeat the process.

beautiful

The truth is; Sometimes even the best are off. Wrong strategy, bad mental state up to a fight. It's no joke they say 70% of the fight is decided before you even enter the ring/octagon.

if you study someones game. Really study it, you will be able to find weaknesses. It is possible that Ronda underestimated Holly and thus didn't prepare as much as she should have.
But look at it this way. After GSP lost he became a much much better fighter. The loss was sort of what he needed to carry himself to a higher state. That could be true for Ronda too. Or it could be the beginning of a downward streak if this affects her confidence.

Georges became much better at taking less risks, he didn't become a better fighter per say, but better at winning. Ronda's whole game is going strong and getting the clinch for a throw and getting the armbar, she doesn't have the skills nor the athleticism to become a wrestler of the level of GSP.

Paracelsus

just rewatched round 1.... lol at Rondas corner talk after the round

"champ champ keep it up beautiful work"

what the fuck? Probably the reason she got destroyed... her corner is terrible Edmond Tarverdyan is a complete tool.

“OK champ, beautiful work,” Tarverdyan said. “Listen to me: All she wants to do is catch you with that left hand and come on top with the hook.” and then he told her to keep both the hands up. I mean, no stamina, no footwork, the only thing she could do was protect herself. Did she do it? Nope.

Georges became much better at taking less risks, he didn,t become a better fighetr per say, but better at winning.

I would argue that it made him a better fighter. Not a more entertaining fighter, but a better fighter. Do you remember how much punishment he took in his last 3 fights? It's something like 80% of all the strikes to the head he took was in those 3 fights. I was really glad he retired when he did. I really fear that guys like him are going to be serious candidates for brain diseases over the trauma they have taken.

I think if Ronda losses her two next fights she should retire. Bank on that movie career if she can. Take some acting classes, start a girls-MMA brand, do some other ventures, get kids and all that.

A part of me is bummed out. As much as Ronda is about womens MMA being popular and changing the sexist perception that it is not as much fun watching women kick the shit out of each other as men, she was also the Judo queen. I want and need more Judo in MMA. And who is going to bring it? Japanese MMA is in the toilet:(

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Yes. :)

Most of them were terrible and this is not a secret. A lot of her opponents' skillsets were just plain bad. If you put them in male bodies and threw them to the ufc they wouldn't even approach the top 30.

Jack Slack pretty much called this out and exactly how one could beat Ronda months ago when she was set to murder Bethe. Dunno if it was posted earlier but hey nothing wrong with a repost I suppose: http://fightland.vice.com/blog/killing-the-queen-ronda-rousey

dcelw540

Into

WE WON BROS!

All of us

God that was so satisfying

Double H, you da real MVP

I AM CRYING OF JOY HUUUUUG MEEEEEE!

Did Ronda say that? Umm... wow. Is she always like this?

Ronda said that after the weigh-in face off, where Holm put her fist on Ronda's face.

People dislike Ronda for her reactions but there's very few fighters who don't react when their opponent actually touches them during face off photo ops.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Ronda wrote this fight as a win before she ever entered the ring. Who declares that they're taking tons of time off after the fight before they even win? Especially when she is already doing movie roles? Good luck with that...nobody wants to cast an above average looking girl in their movies who doesn't win. Ask Gina Carrano.

And I'm glad it fell apart on Dana. I was on Twitter Friday night, reading everything I could about the news, and while they're still pulling bodies out of that concert he's hyping this stupid card. Like, chill and have some decency for just twelve hours.

Hopefully this loss'll make people stop putting Rousey on that pedestal she doesn't belong on.

But UFC benefits greatly from overhype and upsets like this. It is the best PR. It is one of the most interesting things for the fans. When things that seemed like a sure-thing get completely shocking polarizing results.

It's a thing with McGreggor too. Get him to a point were most people will be in complete denial when he looses.

Styles makes fights. Holm created and kept her distance the way she needed to and kept her composure, something that other fighters before didn't. *cough* Zingano* cough*
Personally, I feel kat had the tools to beat ronda had she fought her like holly and spaced, instead of going full retard. Tate tried to space but simply doesn't have the physique to keep ronda from bodying up on her, imo. Holly kinda reminds me of a more technical liddel, actually haha. Really good base while still having great latteral movement and an inherent understanding of their range. Always felt ronda would get hosed by someone with solid, patient movement and legit striking from a phusique that could bully back when needed. I'm suprised it took this long, honestly.

M.D

Ronda said that after the weigh-in face off, where Holm put her fist on Ronda's face.

People dislike Ronda for her reactions but there's very few fighters who don't react when their opponent actually touches them during face off photo ops.

I saw this on reddit

CrDFXaG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom