• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her brand is based on dominance, not being unbeatable.

The two are linked, though. Her dominance was completely upended in this fight. Hence her being beaten.

She got her ass whooped. HARD. For a brand based on dominance, that's a problem.

And for an era in which narrative is like quick-set cement, that's a really big problem. All you need is a big, bold font, a .gif, and a talking point that takes up less than 20 syllables. The sharing virus will do the rest.

And now we finally have proof that Ronda would look worse if she had to fight them in their sport. She's not a good boxer, which is all people with boxing sense were saying.

Ah kk, that I can 100% agree with. After tonight no doubt in my mind she would get smashed in pro boxing.

What?

But yeah. The guy had talent to be a top level competitor.

I don't think he actually had Mike's number though. Evander Holyfield is Tyson's true nemesis.

for some reason I thought he died a few years ago. hahahah. whoiops. I just remember him blimping out after getting the belt, losing to Holyfield, and then gaining even more weight along with diabetes.

and yeah, maybe I'm too up on buster. I just get annoyed when the list of excuses for Tyson's performance (he was on coke, cus died so he wasn't focused, he tried to rape teddy's sister and was with newer, shittier trainers, he didn't get any sleep the night before because he was fucking several women, etc) diminish the fighter Douglas was. I think he had the tools to give Tyson a good fight no matter the circumstances.

ronda pls!

WanHarshGoldeneye.gif

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

This not GSP/Serra. GSP got caught. Shit happens. Ronda got dominated from bell to bell. Her "brand of dominance" is tarnished not because she lost, but because she got schooled and slept.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Think of it like this. The boxing on her resume is like the "financial adviser" is on a head cashier's resume.

It's just bullshit.

Ronda's boxing is horrible. HORRIBLE. Ronda would lose to Laila Ali's daughter...and she's like 5.

Wiki selling you wolftickets, she's always had bad standup, but her grappling and forcing her way through punches for a clinch mitigated that. Holly stood outside and dismantled her and all she could do was chase.

its bad breh just from watching this fight

fighting a southpaw but did nothing to win the footwork battle of keeping her front foot outside. she prob didn't even know about this because she walked into Holly's cross all night.
walking in a straight line while attacking/defending
hands down
zero head movement
her eyes should have been focused on holly's left the whole fight.

I see.

I'm just really stunned that she was THAT bad. Not that I want to criticize her as if to pretend I'm a fighting genius or anything, but the fact that she constantly let her guard down and showed zero head movement was really surprising. That shit's boxing 101. When I started it myself, my coach constantly beat it into me that you never let your hands down. And this shit was in the first week of training.

BobLoblaw

Banned
The two are linked, though. Her dominance was completely upended in this fight. Hence her being beaten.

She got her ass whooped. HARD. For a brand based on dominance, that's a problem.

And for an era in which narrative is like quick-set cement, that's a really big problem. All you need is a big, bold font, a .gif, and a talking point that takes up less than 20 syllables. The sharing virus will do the rest.
This. It would've been one thing if it came down to a controversial decision, but nope. Ronda got destroyed. I could tell after the first 30 seconds that she was in trouble after eating a couple of lefts. Even if Ronda somehow manages to win a rematch, she's no longer "perfect." The mystique is dead. Holly killed that shit.

My God imagine how much money you made if you bet on Holm. I heard some guy but down two 25k bets on Holm for a couple different charities. Anyone know the details on that?

RedAssedApe

Banned
so do ya'll actually box or just watch boxing? (legit question)

just curious due to all the "i told you so" and "rousey is trash" comments seem to be at odds to what the "experts" and other mma fighters were thinking would happen in this fight. i don't follow either sport.

Saying "Rousey sucks" because she lost to Holm is laughable.

Saying Rousey sucks at boxing is truth.

Have Holm roll some BJJ with Ronda. Suddenly Holm would be trash.

Holly Holm is a nasty striker who out on a pitch perfect performance and owned the most dominant woman in MMA by playing to her strengths and her opponents weaknesses.

Aka - Another Greg Jackson brilliant gameplan. The man is a master.

just curious due to all the "i told you so" and "rousey is trash" comments seem to be at odds to what the "experts" and other mma fighters were thinking would happen in this fight. i don't follow either sport.

we've been calling her striking trash for ages, but very few people predicted this result with any confidence.

for example, observe our reaction to her gettting on the cover of Ring magazine in this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1139597

I don't know how Ronda could look at that and go "Yea...I'd do well in boxing"

This.

Why would I have to "let that sink in"

There are Taekwondo practitioner's that are incredible striker. Boxing isnt the only or best form of striking.

And yes Rondas stand up is garbage as was proven in this fight. Thats why we have people fight, to find out who is the best.

As a person who did TKD for 4 years. No one does TKD to become a proficient striker, that's not what TKD is about or has ever been about. So when I say a TKD practitioner is a better striker than someone who trains all the time with actual striking coaches *chortles*. It says a lot when the average TKD practitioner is a better striker than you.

Sure boxing isn't the best form of striking, but I'd imagine if someone made a compendium of best martial arts for striking, boxing will rank much higher than TKD. Like wise TKD would embarrass boxing when it comes to kicking.

BadAss2961

Her brand is based on dominance, not being unbeatable. The nature of MMA and the multiple fight styles people use means that, more than any other combat sport, a loss can happen to anyone at any time.
I think the hype leaned closer to unbeatable than just dominance. The UFC promoted her as the most dominant female athlete of all time across all sports. People hyped her to the point of beating male fighters. Ronda just about swore that she was unbeatable and promised to retire undefeated... Most fans with sense didn't buy it, but that was the hype.

This is getting brutal btw, especially on twitter. I already feel bad for Ronda and kinda hope she recovers from this. Won't root for her against Holly or Miesha though.

It was definitely a flash in the pan. Mike got knocked out in sparring before the fight. That was not him.

Exactly.

Go watch some full Mike Tyson fights from the late 80s (not just highlights). Prime Tyson would have knocked out anyone in boxing +10/-10 years of his era about 90-95% of the time. Post-Robin Givens Tyson was a joke. But before all the distractions and leeches sucked the soul out of him, he was a killing machine with gloves. Power, speed, movement and low-center of gravity. People forget just how good he was in his prime.

The problem was in the '90s he just tried to rely purely on his power and pretty much just stood in front of his opponents with no movement. He went away from his boxing skills and became a brawler. So real boxers started to expose him.

If Rousey is a smart and technically sound fighter, I'm sure she'll bounce back. But if she mostly got by with power and intimidation (ie. '90s era Tyson), then she's probably going to keep getting exposed by technical fighters. Once the formula is out, every trainer is going to give their fighter the blueprint.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sure boxing isn't the best form of striking, but I'd imagine if someone made a compendium of best martial arts for striking, boxing will rank much higher than TKD. Like wise TKD would embarrass boxing when it comes to kicking.

It's not? What's better when it comes to punching than boxing?

That's just people jumping on the hype train or riding the tail of someone's victory. Ignoring them is usually the best way to deal with those pityful souls that trashes atheletes like Ronda that changed the game entirely for the women.

Striking in the general term applies to all points of contact not just fists. So TKD embarrassing boxing at kicking means it is factualy a superior martial art at one form of striking.

Many major striking arts can be effective from Western Boxing, TKD, Muay Thai, Kempo Karate, etc. It really comes down to the fighter and how they use it against their opponent. There is no one objectively superior art in the grand sense just at specific traits.

This is getting brutal btw, especially on twitter. I already feel bad for Ronda and kinda hope she recovers from this. Won't root for her against Holly or Miesha though.

When you talk yourself up like this and show complete disrespect to your opponents time and time again this is what happens. I don't feel bad for her. Holly will be a great champion and act like shes been there before because she has.

I'd wait for the rematch results before talking about the narrative being set. If she strolls in and armbars Holm within the first minute, then the gifs will just end up being ammo for the folks that hate her for whatever reason.

I think the hype leaned closer to unbeatable than just dominance. The UFC promoted her as the most dominant female athlete of all time across all sports. People hyped her to the point of beating male fighters. Ronda just about swore that she was unbeatable and promised to retire undefeated... Most fans with sense didn't buy it, but that was the hype.

Did the UFC actually promote her as most dominant of all time across all sports? I definitely don't remember that poster or trailer. Are you, perhaps, conflating some UFC stuff with some of her personal interviews and fan reaction/opinion? Or did I miss a really crazy advert?

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

lol wtf is this? I'm literally crying.

You honestly have to work your ass off to have such a bad form. Like I think people who watch boxing casually then imitate what they see end up with a better form. Edmond is a fraud, people have been saying that for a while.

It's not? What's better when it comes to punching than boxing?

I actually think it is, I was just trying to avoid an debate on that subject since he says it isn't. I imagine he uses the term striking to mean all types of contact, I use it in reference to fists.

Um Boxing isnt striking. Its a type of striking.

All points of contact are "striking"

Western Boxing is probably the best art for fist based punching yes

Probably? More like definitely breh. :p

Though the best and I will always say this since I'm biased as shit on the subject, is kickboxing with a strong boxing base.

Turin

Banned
As a person who did TKD for 4 years. No one does TKD to become a proficient striker, that's not what TKD is about or has ever been about. So when I say a TKD practitioner is a better striker than someone who trains all the time with actual striking coaches *chortles*. It says a lot when the average TKD practitioner is a better striker than you.

True by itself. It's importance is still critical though when it comes to precision and fluidity and protecting your chin from punches.

Exactly.

Go watch some full Mike Tyson fights from the late 80s (not just highlights). Prime Tyson would have knocked out anyone in boxing +10/-10 years of his era about 90-95% of the time. Post-Robin Givens Tyson was a joke. But before all the distractions and leeches sucked the soul out of him, he was a killing machine with gloves. Power, speed, movement and low-center of gravity. People forget just how good he was in his prime.

The problem was in the '90s he just tried to rely purely on his power and pretty much just stood in front of his opponents with no movement. He went away from his boxing skills and became a brawler. So real boxers started to expose him.

If Rousey is a smart and technically sound fighter, I'm sure she'll bounce back. But if she mostly got by with power and intimidation (ie. '90s era Tyson), then she's probably going to keep getting exposed by technical fighters. Once the formula is out, every trainer is going to give their fighter the blueprint.
it's too bad he didn't face better competition during his prime and/or keep it together mentally into the 90s so we would know for sure if he's as good as he looked to be or if (as I suspect) he was just in the right place at the right time. I think the prevailing opinion among boxing enthusiasts is that Tyson is hugely overrated. But it's still a big what if that leaves the door open for speculation.

BadAss2961

When you talk yourself up like this and show complete disrespect to your opponents time and time again this is what happens. I don't feel bad for her. Holly will be a great champion and act like shes been there before because she has.
She's got several months of soul crushing ridicule and agony headed her way. She did it to herself, but deserves respect if she can come back from that.

cdyhybrid

That's what happens when you talk so much shit and disrespect your opponents. Doubly so when you have a PR machine behind you constantly hyping you up to the point that it becomes nauseating.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

I wouldn't, she's a pretty shitty person all round. She needs to fire her entire team and move to a decent MMA camp if she wants to actually improve.

Turin

Banned
Exactly.

I agree he's probably one of the most talented heavyweights in history.

Still, I could argue all day that Holyfield had his number. Technically, there isn't an area that Evander wouldn't have had the advantage in. He was damn good.

Fucking hell. I went to bed thinking I'd just watch the gif of the fight afterward. And I suppose I still did that, but damn. EA Curse is stronger than ever.

Wow, people must really hate her or something...
She got her ass kicked and that can happen in a fight between a takedowner/ judoca and a thaiboxer. But it als could have been the other way around if Ronda would just do her thing. Why she wanted to show her boxing "skills" is beyond me but she is an excellent MMA fighter.

ronda pls!

WanHarshGoldeneye.gif
There were multiple moments in the fight where ronda realized just how out classed and borderline ridiculous she looked. She would catch herself and posture up to save face, leaving behind a piece of her soul each time. It was like watching a manifestation of her personality. Super aggressive, trying to fabricate a reaction that best suites her desired environment. The longer her opponent dissmissed her attempts, the more frustrated she became with the emptiness of her dillusions. Culminating to a broken vessel with no other substance to be found other than an empty void by which to repeat the process.

^ouch, harsh but true
Wow, people must really hate her or something...
She got her ass kicked and that can happen in a fight between a takedowner/ judoca and a thaiboxer. But it als could have been the other way around if Ronda would just do her thing. Why she wanted to show her boxing "skills" is beyond me but she is an excellent MMA fighter.
you would think after the 1st few punches she received she would try to bring her to ground but no - just took em all and got destroyed

Striking in the general term applies to all points of contact not just fists. So TKD embarrassing boxing at kicking means it is factualy a superior martial art at one form of striking.

Many major striking arts can be effective from Western Boxing, TKD, Muay Thai, Kempo Karate, etc. It really comes down to the fighter and how they use it against their opponent. There is no one objectively superior art in the grand sense just at specific traits.

Well aware of what striking is. But within the context of Ronda and talking about her standup everyone has pretty much been using striking as the substitute both on various forums and hell even within UFC (mcuh to my initial chagrin but honestly it doesn't bother me much). Which is pretty much the only reason I ever continued to refer to her punching as "striking". So keeping with how it's been misused...Ronda's striking (punching) sucks, Edmond is a horrible strike coach and she would get dominated in boxing. And any average TKD practitioner is a better striker than Ronda.

I think I'm a better puncher than Ronda and I know I'm horrible despite taking TKD and kickboxing...which is why I'm a programmer not a MMA fighter.

BadAss2961

you would think after the 1st few punches she received she would try to bring her to ground but no - just took em all and got destroyed
She did try, but she was kinda gassed already and Holly looked stronger. Holly didn't go for the judo throw and actually ended up slamming Ronda.

Well aware of what striking is. But within the context of Ronda and talking about her standup we've pretty much been using striking as the substitute both on forums and hell even within UFC (which annoyed me at first but I really didn't care because I knew what they were talking about). Which is pretty much the only reason I ever continued to refer to her punching as "striking". So keeping with how it's been misused...Ronda's striking (punching) sucks, Edmond is a horrible strike coach and she would get dominated in boxing. And any average TKD practitioner is a better striker than Ronda.
Average Taekwondo practitioners have no idea how to throw punches other than straights. I did taekwondo while doing gymnastic when I was young before ever stepping foot in the ring with boxing and kickboxing, I can tell you that much.

Boxing is a gamechanger for learning how to punch correctly while maintenaning any sort of decent defense.

Average Taekwondo practitioners have no idea how to throw punches other than straights. I did taekwondo while doing gymnastic before ever stepping foot in the ring with boxing and kickboxing, I can tell you that much.

Oh I know, I took TKD for 4 years (8-12) before taking Kickboxing in college. Eye opening experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom