• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue that it made him a better fighter. Not a more entertaining fighter, but a better fighter. Do you remember how much punishment he took in his last 3 fights? It's something like 80% of all the strikes to the head he took was in those 3 fights. I was really glad he retired when he did. I really fear that guys like him are going to be serious candidates for brain diseases over the trauma they have taken.

I think if Ronda losses her two next fights she should retire. Bank on that movie career if she can. Take some acting classes, start a girls-MMA brand, do some other ventures, get kids and all that.

A part of me is bummed out. As much as Ronda is about womens MMA being popular and changing the sexist perception that it is not as much fun watching women kick the shit out of each other as men, she was also the Judo queen. I want and need more Judo in MMA. And who is going to bring it? Japanese MMA is in the toilet:(

Yeah I too feel that GSP did the right thing, his heart didn't seem in the right place anymore for competitive fighting. I'm sure the reason why he took so much punishment in the end was due to him trying to prove to himself and others that he still had heart. But criticism is always going to be there, and I think he felt it hard.
I still think he was a better fighter before the big loss happened, much more versatile, entertaining and simply showed more heart by taking risks which made him open his striking up much more. He was a better mixed martial artist though, just not a better fighter.

I think Ronda's acting career is going down with her ship if it still continues sinking. Her acting is bad, and the choregraphies that she could handle was pretty limited I'm sure. Other than her judo throws, the rest of her strenghts (armbars) focus more on brute strenght than technique by a while. Gina did a better job at acting and making choregraphies look legit than she'll ever do to be frank.

Turin

Banned
Yeah I too feel that GSP did the right thing, his heart didn't seem in the right place anymore for competitive fighting. I'm sure the reason why he took so much punishment in the end was due to him trying to prove to himself and others that he still had heart. But criticism is always going to be there, and I think he felt it hard.
I still think he was a better fighter before the big loss happened, much more versatile, entertaining and simply showed more heart by taking risks which made him open his striking up much more. He was a better mixed martial artist though, just not a better fighter.

I think Ronda's acting career is going down with her ship if it still continues sinking.

I'd say he showed a lot of heart and grit against Hendricks(I also thought he edged it out).

I'd say he showed a lot of heart and grit against Hendricks(I also thought he edged it out).

Yeah that's what I'm saying, the reason why he took so much punishmentt was because I'm sure he felt the need to show heart to himself and others. When it was done, he had nothing left, hence the retirement announcement.

dcelw540

Damn am I the only rousey fan around still? Majority of people were routing for her but after she lost everybody seems to switch sides. :/ she'll come back from this.

Turin

Banned
Yeah that's what I'm saying, the reason why he took so much punishmentt was because I'm sure he felt the need to show heart to himself and others. When it was done, he had nothing left, hence the retirement announcement.

Indeed. I'd say retirement happened at the perfect time. He doesn't need to come back. He'll never be what he was.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
YXXNhNv.jpg

Damn am I the only rousey fan around still? Majority of people were routing for her but after she lost everybody seems to switch sides. :/ she'll come back from this.

A lot of people here were shitting on her for her for her weird comments on 9/11 and Sandy Hook long before this fight.

Honestly I've always thought she was a great grappler with bad striking fighting absolute garbage competition. This idea that she was some technical master that could compete with men if they allowed it was genuinely getting on my fuckin nerves. I have no reason to believe she'll come back from this because we've never seen her in this position before. She needs to ditch that coach though that's for damn sure.

I was never a fan ever since i saw her on the ultimate fighter. She was a complete bitch on that show.

Holm was gonna be champ at one point or another (if Rousey stepped away) It was just hard to completely buy that Rousey was human and could get embarrassed like that.

Holm had all the tools necessary to beat dat ass and unlike all the other DNBs in the division she had a real skill set that she's been training for a long ass time and Rousey thought that it was a good idea to try to beat her at the skill she has been training her whole life as if to completely shame her of everything she has learned in her career. Everyone with half a brain knew Holms strategy and yet it was still executed to near perfection.

Holm isn't going anywhere , she's no spring chicken but she's keeping that belt for a while.

SkylineRKR

I doubt this fight will change anyone's mind. It was always absurd for anyone to suggest that Mayweather wouldn't completely destroy Rousey. Absurd viewpoints are not easily changed.

Holm fought brilliantly and exposed one of Rousey's weaknesses. Rousey chased her around when she didn't have the stamina to do so and left herself open to an accurate boxer. She was completely out of her element. This is precisely why she would have a 0% chance of ever beating Mayweather. Floyd has a heck of a lot more power, speed, accuracy, stamina, and experience than Holm does. If Floyd and Rousey were to fight 1000 times, Rousey would win exactly 0 of them.

Floyd would destroy her at half strength, in the first round. I don't even know why she would make remarks like that. Men are much stronger, and Floyd is an undefeated champion with 20 years of experience under his belt.

She can't even beat a female boxer.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i posted this question in the mayweather thread before realizing there's actually a thread about this fight, so thought i'd repost it here since it's more on topic:

i don't know anything about mma and i have never seen a full fight, but i saw rousey get knocked out and i have a random question: is there some rules when someone punches someone multiple times when they're on the ground after being kicked in the head? couldn't you very easily cause some real damage doing that?

I saw this on reddit

CrDFXaG.jpg

Inline with what everyone is saying. Ronda wrapped her arm around HH's and pulled it in making HH touch her face, people trying to paint this narrative that the reason Ronda said those things on IG was because HH touched her face on purpose.

i posted this question in the mayweather thread before realizing there's actually a thread about this fight, so thought i'd repost it here since it's more on topic:

i don't know anything about mma and i have never seen a full fight, but i saw rousey get knocked out and i have a random question: is there some rules when someone punches someone multiple times when they're on the ground after being kicked in the head? couldn't you very easily cause some real damage doing that?

The way it works in MMA, is that the Ref must stop the fight. A fighter can choose not to follow up, but there have been plenty of fights where someone goes limp, recovers, and wins the fight. So the general policy is to follow up until the Ref steps in.

Edit: This illustrates the reason for the rule pretty clearly (though this type of thing happening is fairly rare):
2.gif

Inline with what everyone is saying. Ronda wrapped her arm around HH's and pulled it in making HH touch her face, people trying to paint this narrative that the reason Ronda said those things on IG was because HH touched her face on purpose.
Yeah Ronda is a classless buffoon and it made my day she got shat on. I was just as happy when overeem beat the shit out of brock.

Into

Refs are instructed to keep an eye whether you are defending yourself. If you have arms up and trying to block me punching you, then technically they will keep that going.

As you can imagine there has been instances where a fighter was out cold, and getting punched for several seconds which is uncomfortable, but also instances where a fighter was not out and the match still got called. Human error and all that

Finally got around to seeing the fight. Holy shit. That was a dominant performance. Ronda was flailing and desperate, Holly had perfect control. Masterful.

Yes there are rules, which is why refs stop the fight after it's obvious the person on the ground can't fight back. When you're actually fighting you can't tell whether or not your kick ended the fight until the ref tells you so.

Or to make it easier to understand. Imagine her kick did no real damage to Ronda just simply knocked her off balance...should Holm stand there to wait and see if Ronda can still fight (and regain her composure thus losing the ground advantage) or do you immediately follow up?

Holm was gonna be champ at one point or another (if Rousey stepped away) It was just hard to completely buy that Rousey was human and could get embarrassed like that.

Holm had all the tools necessary to beat dat ass and unlike all the other DNBs in the division she had a real skill set that she's been training for a long ass time and Rousey thought that it was a good idea to try to beat her at the skill she has been training her whole life as if to completely shame her of everything she has learned in her career. Everyone with half a brain knew Holms strategy and yet it was still executed to near perfection.

Holm isn't going anywhere , she's no spring chicken but she's keeping that belt for a while.

Ronda clinched with Holly and/or tried to take her down four times within the first two and a half minutes of the fight. Ronda wanted to get that fight on the ground, but only managed once very briefly. She even had Holly pressed up against the cage only a minute and 15 seconds into the fight and Holly defended and broke away.

The fifth time they locked up, Holly actually initiated it and then rag dolled Ronda to the mat.

Holly beat Ronda everywhere in that fight.

I fell asleep last night while reading the reactions to the warmup fight. Then I woke up to this thread, those gifs, and the deadspin article. Lol doesn't quite cut it.

jett

D-Member
LOL

LOL

LOL

Hype machine dead on its tracks. I'm glad I watched this. It was quite entertaining watching Rousey getting completely destroyed. I'm guessing only the crazies will continue to spout off BS about Rousey going on a boxing career. Woman was completely outclassed. She had nothing.

tkscz

I was wondering why people kept saying Holly touched Ronda's face. Even in the original video, you see Ronda put her hand in Holly's face first, then wrap her arm around Holly's and pulling it in.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
That was quite the ass beating. Glad she lost though. The Rousey hype was really starting to get nauseating.

It's going to be hard for Rousey to come back after this one. The whole match was completely one sided.. It made her look like a rookie.

The difference in hand speed in those gifs is frightening. The ducking gif is flat out embarrassing. The room of spirit and time couldn't close that gap in boxing skills.

oneils

I wonder if White or anyone else in the UFC is going to try to sit Ronda down and get her a new coach. Sounds like she wasn't listening to her mother's advice, but maybe she will take the advice of white and/or others.

Anyway, that fight was awesome. Great upset. Leading up to the fight I was teasing my buddy - asking why didn't bet the farm on holm. We both thought it was pretty funny and then it happened.

Incredible moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom