• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingT

Neo Member
Remember when White was teasing Laila Ali to fight RR and some coach suggested that RR could convert to boxing.

Now they know that they are way over their heads after the beat down from HH.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
5 minutes that define who you are

untitled-15eeq9f.gif

untitled-19mnryf.gif

oxidax

What a fight! Imo I think Ronda fought like an amateur. Following Holly around the octagon and getting waay too desperate. She got lit thought the entire fight!! I think Ronda losing was predictable halfway through the first round.

Honestly, something about Holly when she entered the octagon made me believe that she was going to win. Maybe her energy entering the ring and how focused she was when the fight started.

Welp...There goers the Rousey hype train. Hope that rematch comes along soon.

Shirow

Banned
Holy crap I woke up this morning and the wife tells me Ronda got beat, I almost couldnt believe it. Just saw the fight and wow Ronda got schooled hard!! And Im a Rousey fan.

The fight was awesome and I knew Holm wasnt going to be easy like most thought but was too tired to watch the fight. Hopefully Ronda learns some humility from now on. Holm was a beast in the ring!

charsace

lol at people calling Holly Buster Douglas. She's a world class boxer, one the best women boxers ever. She left women's boxing because there is no money in it. That doesn't sound like a Buster Douglas to me.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure she felt like a world class boxer in her mind. After all, that's all that Edmond has been feeding her.

I'd like to know what her training routine is like. Does she even practice boxing (gifs go here). She obviously has no respect for the sport (or her opponents).

Hyun Sai

lol at people calling Holly Buster Douglas. She's a world class boxer, one the best women boxers ever. She left women's boxing because there is no money in it. That doesn't sound like a Buster Douglas to me.

Yeah, anybody looking at her resume wouldn't have dismissed her before the fight. Especially the come back after that brutal KO.

So I remember hearing a lot about how far ahead of the competition Rousey was, which was why she was so dominant. What happened here? Different style of opponent?

So I remember hearing a lot about how far ahead of the competition Rousey was, which was why she was so dominant. What happened here? Different style of opponent?
She's exceptional at judo and grappling and utter dog shit at striking. She has a terrible coach who spoon fed her ego over and over and she races in, chin up and used aggression to strike then hip toss.

She came up against a world class elite striker who is not only mature, but a calm and smart fighter with more experience.

She got tooled bad.

Probably the biggest douchebag in sports right now. And the way the media has been coddling her the last two years, it's great to know she finally got exposed last night.

Is there a reason why people are not as critical to Rousey when compared to Mayweather when it comes to being arrogant? I see people saying positive things about Ronda's behavior compared to Mayweather, which he at least can back up.

She fought someone who could actually fight and instead of sticking to her strengths she tried to outbox a world champion boxer.

Rousey is world-class at judo and the armbar tech is real, but she wasn't facing the highest caliber opponents. Her closest competition was Tate, who wasn't quite able to figure out the formula/have the skills to beat her. Holly had the gameplan and had the boxing skills. Rousey was too stubborn to go with her strengths at the gate, and by the time she wanted to, she was too gassed.

Like Phat Michael and Meccanical said; she tried to outbox someone who does not get outboxed.

darksagus

It was like Tiger Woods trying to beat Lebron in a game of basketball. Rousey tried to win a boxing match against a world class boxer instead of playing her own game.

Is there a reason why people are not as critical to Rousey when compared to Mayweather when it comes to being arrogant? I see people saying positive things about Ronda's behavior compared to Mayweather, which he at least can back up.

Mayweather has fought 49 fights and is undefeated. A lot of them against elite boxers.

He's been a champion since 1998.

There's no comparison in terms of ability, longevity, moneymaking and success.

Yes he's a dick but he is a legend.

Lmao, people really do love to see the dominant beings get toppled.

It's why so, so many goddamn people buy Floyd Mayweather fights even though the fights themselves are rather boring. They want to see the brash ace of their sport get dropped.

Same reason people bought Silva or Tyson fights. They either want to see the wreckage or they want to see them fail. Difference between Silva/Tyson/Rousey and Mayweather though, is Mayweather figured that out, and tailored his style so he could talk massive amounts of shit, and yet still win/keep himself from getting highlight reel KO'ed.

And that's why he's fucking rich.

EthanC

Banned
Didn't even know there was a fight until this morning. That said, thank fucking Christ..maybe the Internet love affair will come to a close soon.

And this just solidified my opinion of Rousey..classless fool.

She's a Sandy Hook truther. That's all you need to know about her to know that she's a classless, brainless moron.

Mayweather has fought 49 fights and is undefeated. A lot of them against elite boxers.

He's been a champion since 1998.

There's no comparison in terms of ability, longevity, moneymaking and success.

Yes he's a dick but he is a legend.

I agree with you, but I was more so saying why people on Facebook/Twitter like seeing the aggroant attitude from Rousey, but hate on Mayweather when he does the same thing?

I'm happy to see here lost since she was very overrated and just disrespectful to even touch her gloves.

entremet

WOW!

This is actually better for women's MMA. You can't have an elite fighter just picking off scrubs forever. Not good for the game long term.

nilbog21

Banned
Glad to see Rousey lose by the way she has has been acting lately.. I like her, but her ego has gotten out of control to the point of bad sportsmanship. Also after listening to the Rogan podcast, her trainer seems like an idiot/complete tool

she fights like such a brute. no technique, it was so obvious in the other fights but no1 had her drive

This really is going to hurt her brand and I can see some sponsors of hers pulling out. She should just go to WWE and start a career there, especially since this fight was just embarrassing..

entremet

Could any combat sport enthusiasts pin point why she so outclassed?

Just based on my novice knowledge and gifs, Holly just seemed like a better boxer/striker. I don't see any ground stuff.

I agree with you, but I was more so saying why people on Facebook/Twitter like seeing the aggroant attitude from Rousey, but hate on Mayweather when he does the same thing?

I'm happy to see here lost since she was very overrated and just disrespectful to even touch her gloves.

Well, Rousey is always very emotional in buildup/promos anyway. It might not be so much arrogance so much as wearing her heart on her sleeve. And there's been plenty of times when her opponents have said some real foul shit that deserved an armbar.

Mayweather, on the other hand, makes it very clear everything is just a persona about money, and you can't beat him anyway, so deal with it.

For the record, I actually still really like Rousey.

Just based on my novice knowledge and gifs, Holly just seemed like a better boxer/striker. I don't see any ground stuff.

Tried to stand-up with Holly, and paid for it dearly. Didn't have enough in the tank to get her game working when she wanted to switch to it.

RobNBanks

Banned

She tried to beat someone at their game which almost never works

Hubris basically. Downfall of many who believe themselves to be far superior to everyone else

Hyun Sai

This really is going to hurt her brand and I can see some sponsors of hers pulling out. She should just go to WWE and start a career there, especially since this fight was just embarrassing..

Or she could do like Holm.
On December 2, 2011, Holly took on knockout artist Anne Sophie Mathis of France for the vacant IBF female and WBAN welterweight titles. Holly was badly beaten by the stronger Mathis without the referee interfering, even going into the canvas without a count. She finally lost by knockout in the 7th round, which would be dubbed the upset of the year in women's boxing.[6] The two rematched on June 15, 2012 for Mathis's WBF female, IBF female, and WBAN welterweight titles. Holly took a unanimous decision win over Mathis, becoming the new champion and avenging her earlier KO loss

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thank God she lost.

She was starting to believe her own hype. Win for Holly is best for the sport.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Outclassed striking, could not get inside to clinch due to Holly's superior footwork which gave her more spacing.

Honestly, Holly Holm seemed to respect Ronda a lot more, and was therefore prepared to defend against any weapon she had.

Ronda didn't give Holly thaty same respect, and seemed downright bewildered when things weren't going her way.

640px-Vegeta_Crying.png

"This is impossible. I'm a Super Saiyan!"

ElyrionX

I am watching the match again. Why didn't Ronda go for more takedowns when she got smashed in the face so many times the first round?

Ithil

If every fighter just quit MMA after their first loss, there would be almost no one left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom