• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

NOn5whZ.jpg

DAMN SON

Also, again, Holm is the new Cap Marvel

-MD-

Is it wrong I imagine Rousey going to some multimillion dollar state of the art training faculty with the best of everything only to do some lite cardio, while Holms trained in the back of a Church's chicken parking lot with cinderblooks and crackheads?

By definition, yeah.

jett

D-Member
Is it wrong I imagine Rousey going to some multimillion dollar state of the art training faculty with the best of everything only to do some lite cardio, while Holms trained in the back of a Church's chicken parking lot with cinderblooks and crackheads?

Ah yes, the modern Rocky IV.

rocky-iv-2.jpg

rocky4strain2.JPG

Yeah, I actually don't mind cockiness and showboating when you can still perform properly.

Unfortunately Prince Naseem is another one that let his own hype get to him.

Fighters can be cocky, but that should never underestimate there opponents,

Oh shit, I don't follow boxing much but I remember that guy. Did he ever get his clock cleaned for leaving his hands down and is there glorious footage of it? Dude was like a Punch-Out! opponent.

entremet

Didn't Holmes train in one of the best MMA gyms in the US?

Ithil

I think all would agree Rousey's coaching team are the main reason she lost this fight decisively.

I don't think it's that clear cut. For MMA enthusiasts, she may have been a villain, but she's been a media darling in the mainstream media/ESPN for a bit now.

In my anecdotal experience, there are plenty of MMA enthusiasts who love her. I think those of us that don't just can't stand her act.

There are two types of people. Those who see this:

OfsvC0W.jpg

and think "Ahh yeah, she's about to fuck a bitch up!" and those who think "fuck, I hope she gets knocked the fuck out."

Sent

In my anecdotal experience, there are plenty of MMA enthusiasts who love her. I think those of us that don't just can't stand her act.

There are two types of people. Those who see this:

OfsvC0W.jpg

and think "Ahh yeah, she's about to fuck a bitch up!" and those who think "fuck, I hope she gets knocked the fuck out."

To be fair she's like this before every single fight.

daycru

Could any combat sport enthusiasts pin point why she so outclassed?

Just based on my novice knowledge and gifs, Holly just seemed like a better boxer/striker. I don't see any ground stuff.

You can't judo someone if you're being punched in the face. Rousey can't get inside.

Majanew

Banned
I haven't been a fan of Rousey since she was a coach on TUF. She was a cry baby and a fucking prick. I've been longing for this knockout.

Fitts

There is nothing people love more than to see a hero fall, die trying.

Nah, she lived long enough to see herself become the villain. That, combined with the nonstop media circle jerk exaggerating her abilities is what made this so satisfying.

The fact that Holm was an underdog and projects the image of being a genuinely good human being doesn't hurt the celebration either.

Haunted

How's Holly Holm's ground game?

Pure strikers (though imo the most entertaining to watch) don't tend to last long as champions in MMA. Just ask Junior dos Santos.

Aiii

So not worth it
How's Holly Holm's ground game?

Pure strikers (though imo the most entertaining to watch) never last long as champions in MMA. Just ask Junior dos Santos.

She just rekt the woman with the most superior ground game of all the women in the sport. I'm not sure there's much of a problem there.

Jerm411

Hmmm put Rousey in there with an actual high level striker with some length and that doesn't fall into the usual BS RRR preflight hype machine and this is what you get...

Dana and Rogan trying to sell this as the "greatest upset in combat sports history" and as the second coming of Serra/GSP is absurd and laughable.....shouldn't have expected anything less considering they just saw their queen get exposed for the fraud she's always been.

Max_Po

Banned
I am happy that she lost. NO I do not get pleasure out of other people's failure but Rousey is a disrespectful immature skank.

Just after weigh ins she post a rather rude and unprofessional tweet about Holly Holms..something in line of fake bitch fake...fake...

It boggles my mind that someone making millions is so immature and disrespectful to others makin pennies.

Hmmm put Rousey in there with an actual high level striker with some length and that doesn't fall into the usual BS RRR preflight hype machine and this is what you get...

Dana and Rogan trying to sell this as the "greatest upset in combat sports history" and as the second coming of Serra/GSP is absurd and laughable.....shouldn't have expected anything less considering they just saw their queen get exposed for the fraud she's always been.

I guess it just depends on how you look at it. From a skill level? Probably not. But they're probably looking at what it means just from a sport standpoint. Rousey was significantly more mainstream than GSP ever even dreamed to be. She constantly appeared on major programs leading up to her fights, and had become the face of the sport. Her being demolished is the biggest upset from that standpoint. Nothing really comes close because of just how much attention she'd managed to bring to the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom