• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnby

giphy.gif

0168_y1qy4.gif

Excellent work DM. Motherfucking bravo.

When Champs get beat is when they are truly tested. We'll see now if Rousey has the will to do what she needs to do to get back on top. Nobody thought she was going to stay undefeated forever right?

She thought she was unstoppable, the masses that never even watch MMA thought she was unstoppable, and all these terrible ass chicks that thought they were good mma fighters made it seem like she was unstoppable. Then here comes along this 34 year old that has a legitimate skill set that she has trained more then half her life and she beats a prime 28 year old Rousey like it was some squash match back in Pride days.

Rousey has been completely exposed , that was as bad of a beat down as you can get as a champ.

People really do not need to be comparing Floyd to Holm. Its not like for like at all. Holm is an MMA fighter and Floyd is not. She's been training MMA long before she even began her pro career with Jackson and Wink.

I'm not even about to get into Floyd vs Rousey I'm just saying Holm is not the same thing as Floyd.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, when Floyd does it, they call it 'running'. Holly does it, she's keeping the distance.

Dat sweet science of frustrating the hell out of an inferior opponent who can't do anything but aimlessly flail at air until they eventually get set up and knocked the fuck out.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I know a lot of people are happy this morning. She got smashed, and maybe exposed, but......

she has a lot of personnel problems going on rite now that totally messed with her training. She barley had a training camp, her mom wasn't there, her coach declared bankruptcy and there is a lot more .

giphy.gif

TI82

Banned
In the Octagon they look ready to eat nails and in promo shoots, they could be models. I guess that is as it should be.

It's almost like they are two actually different people. The fighter named Ronda Rousey or whoever, and then a model they hire to be her for photoshoots.

Maybe it's just the mouthguard and hair idk

I don't know much about the sport, but what kind of coach allows his fighter to throw punches with that kind of footwork, like did they even train? Absolutely embarrassing.

12 year old amateur boxers don't even look like that in the ring.

The quality of striking in MMA has been a long time complaint with me though, it's not just Ronda.

ironcreed

Banned
It's almost like they are two actually different people. The fighter named Ronda Rousey or whoever, and then a model they hire to be her for photoshoots.

I'll give Ronda this much, she shines up nice. It's just too bad that her attitude is so darn ugly. Perhaps she will come away from this with a lesson in humility and will grow up a bit.

Beefy

Dat sweet science of frustrating the hell out of an inferior opponent who can't do anything but aimlessly flail at air until they eventually get set up and knocked the fuck out.

Can't be talking about Floyd in this bit.
/s

I have never watch UFC but it's great that she got knocked out. I can't stand truthers or people that abuse others.

ApharmdX

Banned
I just saw the fight. I'm a fan of Rousey, love watching her use her judo to wreck in MMA, but her air of invincibility is now shattered. She is a tremendous athlete and grappler, but she's also one-dimensional, and Holm made her pay for not having developed her striking. Rousey was totally outclassed. There should be no rematch. What we need now is Cyborg vs Holm. That's a huge hyped fight for the UFC.

I will say, this is the worst possible outcome for the UFC. When Jones fell apart and ruined his image, and GSP retired, Rousey (and Mac) have been their gravy train. Holly Holm killed that train. Also, I was totally wrong about both womens' fights last night. Letorneau fought a great fight, I had her up 2 rounds, but she faded down the stretch versus JJ. I thought that'd be an epic mismatch. And I thought Rousey would sub Holm. I was wrong there too.

Hunt won in the expected fashion. It's time for Bigfoot to retire. And probably Hunt too. Uriah Hall remains a gatekeeper. The guy has so little fighting spirit, and he got taken out of his game with a quickness.

People really do not need to be comparing Floyd to Holm. Its not like for like at all. Holm is an MMA fighter and Floyd is not. She's been training MMA long before she even began her pro career with Jackson and Wink.

I'm not even about to get into Floyd vs Rousey I'm just saying Holm is not the same thing as Floyd.

In the last "PBF versus Rousey" thread, I recall you were one of the people saying she'd beat him in an MMA match. Surely now you see the error of that. Holm used basic boxing to batter RR, though the finish was a textbook RHK. Do you you really think Floyd, who's 50 times the boxer Holm is, far stronger, and far faster, would struggle to beat Rousey? Give him 3 months of training on defending the takedown and he wins by KO inside 2 mins 99% of the time.

In the last "PBF versus Rousey" thread, I recall you were one of the people saying she'd beat him in an MMA match. Surely now you see the error of that. Holm used basic boxing to batter RR, though the finish was a textbook RHK. Do you you really think Floyd, who's 50 times the boxer Holm is, far stronger, and far faster, would struggle to beat Rousey? Give him 3 months of training on defending the takedown and he wins by KO inside 2 mins 99% of the time.

Im not even remotely going there. I have had to rethink it no doubt but I dont know that this fight proves May would win. Holm both stuffed a throw and escaped a troubling ground position from Ronda. Those are MMA skills not boxing. Would Floyd do the same? I mean maybe, also maybe not.

Holm trained with this fucking monster every day for this fight

jones-wm_large.jpg

Comparing Mayweather and Holms skill set is not a like for like comparison

charsace

How's Holly Holm's ground game?

Pure strikers (though imo the most entertaining to watch) don't tend to last long as champions in MMA. Just ask Junior dos Santos.

JDS isn't as proven a striker as Holly Holm is. The male equivalent is if a guy like Miguel Cotto came over to MMA.

entremet

It's called the power of makeup and lighting.

malfcn

I haven't seen Rhonda fight before.
But the GIFs of her throwing punches, and now GIFs from the fight..Damn.

And today she is hospitalized for being beaten so badly? Jeez.

Squalor

Hair, makeup, and Photoshop go a long way.

El Daniel

I love boxing. I have boxed. I don't even fucking like MMA but you're stupid if you think a gif of a guy dancing around evading punches in a ring is supposed to mean something while were trying to have a conversation about street fighting.

Didn't Alistair Overeem turn from boxing to MMA and held world titles in both sports?

Ultimate Fighting fans sure are happy to see a woman beaten and hospitalized. Maybe they should still go ahead with her fighting a man.

It kind of comes with the territory when the entire sport is basically sending two people into a cage and having them try their damnedest to maim each other.

ironcreed

Banned
Do people who get absolutely outclassed regularly get rematches in UFC?

If it is a big money maker they do. This no doubt would be due to the magnitude of the upset, but on the flip-side, Ronda will be finished if she fights Holm again. It might be worth it to Dana for another big money PPV to throw her to the wolves and then let her retire after getting humiliated for a second time. As if he really wanted to protect her, sending her back at Holm after such a defeat is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom