• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Ultimate Fighting fans sure are happy to see a woman beaten and hospitalized. Maybe they should still go ahead with her fighting a man.

Ugh, she is a fighter. She knows she is going to get hit often and hard and might even get hurt. That is what they do and what they signed up for.

ApharmdX

Banned
Im not even remotely going there. I have had to rethink it no doubt but I dont know that this fight proves May would win. Holm both stuffed a throw and escaped a troubling ground position from Ronda. Those are MMA skills not boxing. Would Floyd do the same? I mean maybe, also maybe not.

Holm trained with this fucking monster every day for this fight

jones-wm_large.jpg

Comparing Mayweather and Holms skill set is not a like for like comparison

How hard to do think Floyd can punch, compared to Holm? Do you think his footwork is better? Is he more evasive? Can he afford as good of training partners as Holm?

I love MMA but MMA fans have some crazy ideas. 3 months of training, Floyd punches a hole in Rousey inside of two minutes. Which isn't even a knock on her. She's a fantastic grappler. Just, some matchups are too large of a gap.

Ultimate Fighting fans sure are happy to see a woman beaten and hospitalized. Maybe they should still go ahead with her fighting a man.

That's kind of the fucking point, man. It's a combat sport.

entremet

It's a sport she chose it. It's not a street fight.

Moreover, you're being condescending toward women if you feel they're delicate little flowers that can't handle losing in their sport of choice.

Upsets happen. And you will get reactions like this when you've built a personality on being arrogant and invincible.

How hard to do think Floyd can punch, compared to Holm? Do you think his footwork is better? Is he more evasive? Can he afford as good of training partners as Holm?

I love MMA but MMA fans have some crazy ideas. 3 months of training, Floyd punches a hole in Rousey inside of two minutes. Which isn't even a knock on her. She's a fantastic grappler. Just, some matchups are too large of a gap.

I mean I'm not going to tell you your wrong. You could be 100% correct. And this fight clearly shows Floyd would have a legit chance of destroying her instantly.

I'm just saying seeing Holms performance isnt instant proof Floyd could do the same thing. He is an infinitely superior boxer to Rousey.

But boxing alone isn't what won Holm the fight. It was both takedown defense and BJJ defense as well. She hasn't trained months in MMA she has trained for years in it in the same camp as the GOAT MMA athlete.

Its just not something I would stake a claim on either way on a personal level.

I mean I'm not going to tell you your wrong. You could be 100% correct. And this fight clearly shows Floyd would have a legit chance of destroying her instantly.

I'm just saying seeing Holms performance isnt instant proof Floyd could do the same thing. He is an infinitely superior boxer to Rousey.

But boxing alone isn't what won Holm the fight. It was both takedown defense and BJJ defense as well. She hasn't trained months in MMA she has trained for years in it in the same camp as the GOAT MMA athlete.

Its just not something I would stake a claim on either way on a personal level.
She's knocked out by Floyd inside a minute. He's a counter striker, literally the best in the world. She rushes forward chin up, hands down and is one of the worst strikers in all divisions. What do you really think will happen?

SickBoy

Just watching the full fight now (thanks, Internet!), I was expecting something different. (Full disclosure: I'm much more of a boxing guy than an MMA fan)

Based on the gifs and the chatter and the end result, I expected to see a wild Rousey from the outset. Instead, I thought in the first minute she was cautious and trying to find her spot to grapple -- it seemed as though she was fighting with more respect for Holm than she has had for other opponents. It seems like the caution was warranted, because Holm fought a smart defensive fight and her punches are accurate, fast and strong.

It reminds me a bit of Tyson-Holyfield II in that you got a sense at a certain point she realized Gameplan 1 wasn't going to win the fight. But instead of chewing off Holm's ear, she got pushed harder, got more reckless and ultimately ate that kick to the head.

Certainly, any given day if Rousey could get Holm on the ground properly, she could win this matchup... but I think what happened last night was pretty clearly not some sort of fluke.

ironcreed

Banned
Rousey beating Mayweather was always a ridiculous notion. I'm not sure how many people were actually serious about it.

A bunch of bullshit media hype that built her up into something that she is not nor ever will be. Part of the problem is that she actually started believing all of that noise. The harder they fall, aye?

She's knocked out by Floyd inside a minute. He's a counter striker, literally the best in the world. She rushes forward chin up, hands down and is one of the worst strikers in all divisions. What do you really think will happen?

Most likely exactly what you stated tbh. I never said otherwise in this thread

I'm saying using Holm as definitive proof is also a mistake. They do no have the same skill set. Holm is an MMA fighter Floyd is not. Just because Holm can stuff a throw and prevent an armbar does not mean Floyd can as well.

If I was to bet cash money it would go to May

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't follow UFC at all. Like zero. However, Ronda has been on a bunch of shows talking about how she's hot shit and is the best thing ever. From the looks of it, she got it handed to her last night.

Without having to read this entire thread, can someone explain what happened? Was she simply not as good as she said she was or something?

Frog-fu

Banned
Anderson Silva got an instant rematch and he was outclassed.

Anderson beat himself the first time though. That was pure hubris against a much younger, fitter fighter.

The rematch was just more of the same of old man vs up and coming young'un. He should've retired long before Weidman came around. Dude is 40 now and he dominated 7 years (9 if you discount the DQ).

Prime Silva would've destroyed Weidman in the first round. Hell, if they had fought just a few years earlier he would've demolished him.

I don't follow UFC at all. Like zero. However, Ronda has been on a bunch of shows talking about how she's hot shit and is the best thing ever. From the looks of it, she got it handed to her last night.

Without having to read this entire thread, can someone explain what happened? Was she simply not as good as she said she was or something?

She tried to out box a boxer when her specialty is grappling and paid the price for it. Today's lesson is that fighting styles matter.

Pretty much, she tried to box a world class boxer and got exposed.

2216488-screenshot20.jpg

Her corner basically failed her big time.

RELIGHT

Banned

Holm took her to the woodshed with a superior striking game. Rousey was gassed by the end of the first round and wiffed badly on strike that pretty much took all the air out of her and was then subsequently 2 pieced and straight kicked for the KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom