• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

Anderson beat himself the first time though. That was pure hubris against a much younger, fitter fighter.

The rematch was just more of the same of old man vs up and coming young'un. He should've retired long before Weidman came around. Dude is 40 now and he dominated 7 years (9 if you discount the DQ).

Prime Silva would've destroyed Weidman in the first round. Hell, if they had fought just a few years earlier he would've demolished him.

That's acting like it was a fluke by Weidman. There's a reason a lot of fighters (including GSP) picked Weidman to win that fight.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I don't follow UFC at all. Like zero. However, Ronda has been on a bunch of shows talking about how she's hot shit and is the best thing ever. From the looks of it, she got it handed to her last night.

Without having to read this entire thread, can someone explain what happened? Was she simply not as good as she said she was or something?

0168_y1qy4.gif

0166_ivq8w.gif

0171_74q2a.gif

Carnby

I don't follow UFC at all. Like zero. However, Ronda has been on a bunch of shows talking about how she's hot shit and is the best thing ever. From the looks of it, she got it handed to her last night.

Without having to read this entire thread, can someone explain what happened? Was she simply not as good as she said she was or something?

A career built on hype and garbage opponents is now over.

Women's UFC is a sport that's just getting off the ground with a very small talent pool. Ronda is/was just an okay-ish one dimensional fighter taking advantage of that limited talent pool.

Frog-fu

Banned
That's acting like it was a fluke by Weidman. There's a reason a lot of fighters (including GSP) picked Weidman to win that fight.

Quite a few older fighters saw it coming (though most had Silva pegged to win) because they knew Silva was old and Weidman was up and coming. It was classic situation and sooner or later Silva was gonna bite it, and he did.

The first time it was old man hubris. The second time it was just his body failing him. iirc his family had wanted him to retire immediately after the first Weidman fight (and before it actually) but Silva just didn't heed their words and isn't doing it now.

Had he retired after Weidman, he would've been like Ali, finally taking the hint and packing it in. The way he is going now, I suspect he'll end up with a few more losses and go the way of Mosley instead, who is still fighting and looking bad.

Ronda bulldogs people into a clinch, which wasn't working here because Holly doesn't take that kind of bait. It'd be one thing if Holly caught her in the first round like that, but Ronda had an entire round to make it apparent that the gameplan was ineffective. Her coach should've noticed that instead of telling her how great she was doing. Even in the first round Ronda got a chance at Holly's arm, and in a five-round fight more chances are inevitable. Putting your chin on a silver platter doesn't give you the opportunity to have those chances. I don't think Ronda is finished, by any means. She's still beaten pretty much everybody else.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimate Fighting fans sure are happy to see a woman beaten and hospitalized. Maybe they should still go ahead with her fighting a man.

I know you're just trolling because nobody is paying any attention to you on tumblr or whatever but this is incredibly disrespectful. They work their ass off and deidcate their life to train and compete at this level and you trivialise it by implying woman shouldn't fight or that people shouldn't support it in that same way.

Ithil

Quite a few older fighters saw it coming (though most had Silva pegged to win) because they knew Silva was old and Weidman was up and coming. It was classic situation and sooner or later Silva was gonna bite it, and he did.

The first time it was old man hubris. The second time it was just his body failing him. iirc his family had wanted him to retire immediately after the first Weidman fight (and before it actually) but Silva just didn't heed their words and isn't doing it now.

Had he retired after Weidman, he would've been like Ali, finally taking the hint and packing it in. The way he is going now, I suspect he'll end up with a few more losses and go the way of Mosley instead, who is still fighting and looking bad.

The second time it was because Weidman checked his kick and broke his leg, the first was because Weidman punched him in the face. This whole "Silva beat himself" deal is silly like he KO'd himself or hit his own leg with a hammer.
Sure, he's getting on, but it's not like any old fighter would have KO'd him in the first fight, and Weidman was more than holding his own in that one before the KO. I've seen this narrative that acts like Weidman had nothing to do with his own two victories since 2013, it's just weird. Hell the whole reason he broke Silva's leg with the check was because he specifically trained to counter Silva's kicks after the first fight.

I mean this is what GSP had to say about the first fight:
“I believe it's a bad matchup for Anderson Silva. Very bad, style wise. Anderson’s weaknesses are Weidman's strengths. I’ve trained with Weidman, and his wrestling is on another level. Not only is Chris Weidman going to beat Anderson Silva, I believe he’s going to finish Anderson. I believe it's not going to last too long, this fight. This fight will shock a lot of people

Not "Silva is old and doddery and will knock himself out with his walking stick".

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Michele Steele ✔ @ESPNMichele
No concussion but Rousey to have plastic surgery on her lip -per @ramonashelburne

https://twitter.com/ESPNMichele/status/665893304383496192

Good fucking lord. She's got straight up assassinated in the ring.

But look...I don't think Ronda's shit. There's this huge wave of "She was shit all along." coupled with "May WMMA die hahaha" stuff going around MMA forums...Bullshit. She deserves the praise 100% IMO. But she just met her maker, so to speak.

I really think she can come back stronger, with that L. If it humbles her, than it'll make her a better fighter. Her opposition WAS a bit weak for a while, but that's not her fault. It's the division. But good lord, things just got interesting.

Squalor

She had beaten everyone who was put in front of her.

There's no taking that away.

It's not her fault the weight class is still in its infancy.

With all that said, this is the Internet. We're going to joke and mock, and there will be a ton of hyperbole on either end.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ronda bulldogs people into a clinch, which wasn't working here because Holly doesn't take that kind of bait. It'd be one thing if Holly caught her in the first round like that, but Ronda had an entire round to make it apparent that the gameplan was ineffective. Her coach should've noticed that instead of telling her how great she was doing. Even in the first round Ronda got a chance at Holly's arm, and in a five-round fight more chances are inevitable. Putting your chin on a silver platter doesn't give you the opportunity to have those chances. I don't think Ronda is finished, by any means. She's still beaten pretty much everybody else.

Not taking the bait but she's also physically superior to Rousey which I don't think anyone expected. That was the first time Ronda fought someone bigger and stronger than she is. Cyborg would do terrible things to Ronda if they ever fought.

Frog-fu

Banned
The second time it was because Weidman checked his kick and broke his leg, the first was because Weidman punched him in the face. This whole "Silva beat himself" deal is silly like he KO'd himself or hit his own leg with a hammer.
Sure, he's getting on, but it's not like any old fighter would have KO'd him in the first fight, and Weidman was more than holding his own in that one before the KO. I've seen this narrative that acts like Weidman had nothing to do with his own two victories since 2013, it's just weird. Hell the whole reason he broke Silva's leg with the check was because he specifically trained to counter Silva's kicks after the first fight.

I mean this is what GSP had to say about the first fight:

Not "Silva is old and doddery and will knock himself out with his walking stick".

You misunderstand. Silva didn't hand Weidman the victory by being old as fuck. He did it by exacerbating the conditions that were disadvantageous against him.

In the first fight, Weidman - an undeniable talent - was clearly holding his own in stand up. What the fuck possessed Silva to start stunting with his dodges like that as if it were any other fighter he could easily dismantle? Arrogance. Would he have won if he had taken him serious from the jump? Possibly. I would like to think so, but - again - Weidman is an undeniable talent. Regardless of what the outcome could have been otherwise, Silva went ahead and fucked himself like that, thus he pretty much took himself out of it before Weidman had the chance to really impose on him.

The second fight, where he took Weidman seriously from the jump, just demonstrated - more than anything, to me at least - that Weidman was just too young and fit on top of talented. It was like an old lion getting challenged for leadership of the pride. The confidence boost Weidman got from the first fight shined through in the way he fought, and I wouldn't have confidently predicted a win for Silva then as he was even without the initial defeat.

GSP obviously knows his shit, but Silva had won matches against better wrestlers before, and I believe part of his confidence had to do with the fact that Silva was getting on and he had personally trained with the up and coming Weidman and witnessed his prowess first hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom