• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronk

Banned
He wont outright say rousey is terrible. Hes going to hype up holm instead.

On one of his podcasts Cerrone called him out when he said Ronda beat Correia with beautiful technique.
Yea you're right I remember he did call him out. That Cerrone podcast was fantastic.

Takuan

No but her career is.
His career is.

Rhonda has walked through every challenger up until now. She'll still walk through most of the women's division and might even beat Holly in the rematch (with a new camp). She got a reality check last night, but people acting like she's suddenly irrelevant are out of their minds.

I went to bed last night before the two womens' events thinking both champs had it in the bag. Checked the results first thing this morning and was pretty surprised. Watched some videos and was very impressed with Holm, what a performance. I had only watched one of her fights before and she was a little sluggish looking in that, so I wrote her off. Happy I was wrong - Rhonda has gotten a pass for being a dick since forever only because she was so dominant.

299f84.gif

He's excited, look at his face. It's always exciting in sports when there's a huge shift like that. Gets people talking, generates exposure.

That was entertaining as hell, regardless of who you were rooting for.

His career is.

Rhonda has walked through every challenger up until now. She'll still walk through most of the women's division and might even beat Holly in the rematch (with a new camp). She got a reality check last night, but people acting like she's suddenly irrelevant are out of their minds.

It's not just that she lost, it's the way she lost. She got completely tooled and outclassed. She would need to completely change everything about the way she fights to have a shot at Holm. Fighters in the stage of their careers that she is in rarely if ever do that.

Pastry

Banned
after one loss....lmao ok, if she comes back and wins a few she will be fine. sometimes even great fighters lose, it is how they face the adversity after a loss that defines them.

She was trying to build a movie career on her being an ubeatable champ despite the fact that she can't act. She got bodied and the chances for that happening is over.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
His career is.

Outside of the UFC? breh she's screwed

getting dismantled the way she did after all that hype and trash talk

you don't just beat up on cat and meisha and get all that back

tbh if dana didn't need his $$, ronda probably wouldn't even get a rematch.

She was trying to build a movie career on her being an ubeatable champ despite the fact that she can't act. She got bodied and the chances for that happening is over.

She can have a movie career because she's attractive. Being unbeaten had very little to do with it.

Looks are all that matters in Hollywood. I thought this was common sense.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

im sure she will still be in movies, just because of a loss she will still be in demand if people want her. People are taking this one loss as the end of the world, start thinking realistically, its a loss so what. If she chooses to come back she may do well ans shock people again.

-MD-

She can have a movie career because she's attractive. Being unbeaten had very little to do with it.

Being the "unbeaten baddest chick on the planet" is her brand. Now that she got steamrolled that brand vanishes.

She'll still be popular and make loads of money but it'll be nothing like before last night.

Her burgeoning movie career was completely based around the hype of her MMA career. If that goes away so will the movie opportunities. She can't act for shit, and her athletic body makes her look so out of place around regular actors. She's attractive for a female athlete, but you don't think pretty looks are a dime a dozen in Hollywood? The moment her MMA fame starts to slip the parts she gets offered will go from Furious 7 to Straight to Netflix movies starring Ron Perlman.

TheStruggler

Being the "unbeaten baddest chick on the planet" is her brand. Now that she got steamrolled that brand vanishes.

She'll still be popular and make loads of money but it'll be nothing like before last night.

she could make more either if she decides to fight, be in the movies or go to wwe and be the brock lesnar of the womens divisions. Last time i checked lesnar has had losses as well, and he gets paid a shit load of money for being the "baddest" and doing absolutely nothing at times but an appearance.

Takuan

Outside of the UFC? breh she's screwed

getting dismantled the way she did after all that hype and trash talk

you don't just beat up on cat and meisha and get all that back

tbh if dana didn't need his $$, ronda probably wouldn't even get a rematch.
I meant as a fighter, but even outside the UFC it's too early to write her off imo. She gets dusted a second time, then it's a wrap. I agree it doesn't look good for her right now, I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion.

she could make more either if she decides to fight, be in the movies or go to wwe and be the brock lesnar of the womens divisions. Last time i checked lesnar has had losses as well, and he gets paid a shit load of money for being the "baddest" and doing absolutely nothing at times but an appearance.

That's because Brock had a pre-mma history with wrestling and wrestling fans, so they bought into it despite how soundly he was beaten on his way out of the UFC. On top of this, the women's division in WWE is a joke. Nobody is really looking for a "Brock Lesnar" of the Divas division. The way WWE treats that division it exists to make 13 year olds horny in between regular matches. I seriously doubt Vince would pay her any serious money for anything more than a 1 time appearance.

Only in the short term. One people discover you can't act your career dies FAST.

See: Megan Fox.

Megan Fox is making millions on the new Ninja Turtle franchise with a new movie coming in 2016, so probably not the best example XD

Rhonda's career will be just fine, the sky isn't falling and she's still a bigger household name than Holly Holm.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

TBF there's a reason why this is reffered to as one of biggest upsets in history a 2 round KO and dimolishing does a number on the public opinion of how much a "unbeatable badass you are", first she'll need to defeat holly holme because is now actually a unbeatable badass (no losses in professional MMA career) and is the world champion.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
That's because Brock had a pre-mma history with wrestling and wrestling fans, so they bought into it despite how soundly he was beaten on his way out of the UFC. On top of this, the women's division in WWE is a joke. Nobody is really looking for a "Brock Lesnar" of the Divas division. The way WWE treats that division it exists to make 13 year olds horny in between regular matches. I seriously doubt Vince would pay her any serious money for anything more than a 1 time appearance.
yeah

i mean, if she retired undefeated then she'd pretty much be made for WWE but oh well
I meant as a fighter, but even outside the UFC it's too early to write her off imo. She gets dusted a second time, then it's a wrap. I agree it doesn't look good for her right now, I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion.
everything was built on her being undefeated and unbeatable

she got washed, so its like... what is she now? shit, holm is bigger than ronda now because she's the god killer

dream

I dunno, I don't think UFC fans really give a shit about losses. Chuck and Randy were always doing big numbers even though they were clearly shot. Tito just helped Bellator get one of the biggest ratings in the history of cable TV. Fedor, who lost 17 fights in a row, is getting a massive payday for an NYE fight.

TheStruggler

exactly the division is a joke, with proper marketing and time they will say she will make and shape the division and be the baddest woman in it. And yes Steph being friends with her would most likely love the idea of bringing her in the division, and market her as the female unstopable force like lesnar. god people are narrow sighted sometimes

Hyun Sai

Sorry, but Ronda is not attractive enough to do well in Hollywood without any acting skills.

You'll see.

exactly the division is a joke, with proper marketing and time they will say she will make and shape the division and be the baddest woman in it. And yes Steph being friends with her would most likely love the idea of bringing her in the division, and market her as the female unstopable force like lesnar. god people are narrow sighted sometimes

I'm not so sure even if they tried that most mainstream wrestling fans want that out of a women's division.

Also, from being an undefeated MMA champion all over the mainstream radar and getting big budget Hollywood movie offers to...a WWE Diva? Isn't this sort of making the point that her brand will have fallen off?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Ronda's drawing power definitely takes a hit from this. Brock Lesnar did over a million buys 3 straight times in the UFC followed by 900k for the Cain fight. His next fight after that embarrassment did 535k.

I'm definitely interested to see how her next fight does.

TheStruggler

I'm not so sure even if they tried that most mainstream wrestling fans want that out of a women's division.

Also, from being an undefeated MMA champion all over the mainstream radar and getting big budget Hollywood movie offers to...a WWE Diva? Isn't this sort of making the point that her brand will have fallen off?

in the end the wwe would most likely build her up as the unstoppable force, much like chyna but better, and I dont think so. The wwe would throw money at her and have her most likely as a ppv event much like brock. I think wwe fans would kill to have a dominate female athlete in the division that is well dying , especially the unstoppable force, people love that shit.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ronda's drawing power definitely takes a hit from this. Brock Lesnar did over a million buys 3 straight times in the UFC followed by 900k for the Cain fight. His next fight after that embarrassment did 535k.

Well one things for sure the rematch will do gangbusters

in the end the wwe would most likely build her up as the unstoppable force, much like chyna but better, and I dont think so. The wwe would throw money at her and have her most likely as a ppv event much like brock. I think wwe fans would kill to have a dominate female athlete in the division that is well dying , especially the unstoppable force, people love that shit.

I think she'd still be a notch below. WWE can barely build up their male stars and you expect them to completely change the way they have conditioned their fans to look at female wrestlers over the last 30 years because of Ronda Rousey? For a WM appearance, sure I think Ronda can make a pretty penny, but to become a full time wrestler? You think Vince is going to give her some Brock type deal? It'd be a huge downgrade from what she is making now.

Holm-Ronda is going to be fucking HUGE

TheStruggler

I think she'd still be a notch below. WWE can barely build up their male stars and you expect them to completely change the way they have conditioned their fans to look at female wrestlers over the last 30 years because of Ronda Rousey? For a WM appearance, sure I think Ronda can make a pretty penny, but to become a full time wrestler? You think Vince is going to give her some Brock type deal? It'd be a huge downgrade from what she is making now.

but she will most likely be making more than the current female athletes in the divsion. I wouldnt call what brock does full time, he is a part timer much like how she would be, come in kick some ass and leave. And hell yeah the division needs to be re-branded and she could do it on her own away from the prissy, girly stuff. and if she chooses to have a career change in the end that would be up to her

Yeah, it's hard to build up an unstoppable force in a division that the WWE doesn't really care about. Brock and Goldberg worked because they were able to demolish very popular wrestlers on their way to being that unstoppable force. The women's division at WWE doesn't really have any pull in that area. They could bring her in and have her run through everyone and fans would just shrug. It just hits on how poorly managed that division has been. They've had really talented female wrestlers but they don't do anything with them.

SwolBro

Banned
I find it funny the people that keep talking about Mayweather... this is the problem with UFC and Dana White. He doesn't actually give a fuck about his fighters. It's about entertainment and money. I think he pushes fighters to do stupid shit against their best interest.

If Rousey (apparently she knew exactly how she'd go down (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2015/11/15/ronda-rousey-ufc-ko/75825926/) played it like Mayweather she could have just let the fight come to her. She's the champ, decisions would go her way. Instead she attacks the girl knowing she's going to get frustrated and knowing she could get "kicked in the head"

Weird, stupid, and who the fuck is to blame for it? Mayweather never did something like that.

but she will most likely be making more than the current female athletes in the divsion. I wouldnt call what brock does full time, he is a part timer much like how she would be, come in kick some ass and leave. And hell yeah the division needs to be re-branded and she could do it on her own away from the prissy, girly stuff. and if she chooses to have a career change in the end that would be up to her

She's not getting Brock money. She's not Brock. Brock was established. When Brock came down the WWE didn't have to sell their fans on "Hey Brock Lesnar the MMA fighter is trying his hand at wrestling", they had to sell their fans on "Hey Brock Lesnar the former WWE Champion who wrecked everybody's shit the last time he was here is back!". The situations aren't even comparable. Ronda would probably sign a low $$ developmental deal if anything. I guarantee you that money will not be anything close to what she makes as the face of the UFC/fledgling Hollywood action star. It'd be a huge downgrade for her.

TheStruggler

She's not getting Brock money. She's not Brock. Brock was established. When Brock came down the WWE didn't have to sell their fans on "Hey Brock Lesnar the MMA fighter is trying his hand at wrestling", they had to sell their fans on "Hey Brock Lesnar the former WWE Champion who wrecked everybody's shit the last time he was here is back!". The situations aren't even comparable. Ronda would probably sign a low $$ developmental deal if anything. I guarantee you that money will not be anything close to what she makes as the face of the UFC/fledgling Hollywood action star. It'd be a huge downgrade for her.

I didnt say she would get brock money I said they would treat her like a brock, an unstoppable force. Will she get paid the same no, will she get paid well however, you bet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom