• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkman M

I find it funny the people that keep talking about Mayweather... this is the problem with UFC and Dana White. He doesn't actually give a fuck about his fighters. It's about entertainment and money. I think he pushes fighters to do stupid shit against their best interest.

If Rousey (apparently she knew exactly how she'd go down (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2015/11/15/ronda-rousey-ufc-ko/75825926/) played it like Mayweather she could have just let the fight come to her. She's the champ, decisions would go her way. Instead she attacks the girl knowing she's going to get frustrated and knowing she could get "kicked in the head"

Weird, stupid, and who the fuck is to blame for it? Mayweather never did something like that.

What? Mayweather has fought world class talent his whole career. I'm still not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well one things for sure the rematch will do gangbusters

Holm-Ronda is going to be fucking HUGE

The only comparable situation I can think of (thorough domination of a champion resulting in an undeserved rematch) is Velasquez/Dos Santos 3 which did significantly less business than their 2nd fight.

I think Holm/Rousey 2 does pretty well but this fight probably did 800-900k and I'm not sure a rematch does any better given the manner in which Ronda lost.

The only comparable situation I can think of (thorough domination of a champion resulting in an undeserved rematch) is Velasquez/Dos Santos 3 which did significantly less business than their 2nd fight.

I think Holm/Rousey 2 does pretty well but this fight probably did 800-900k and I'm not sure a rematch does any better given the manner in which Ronda lost.

Yeah. Dana should really think about feeding Ronda a can as a warmup, maybe for free on one of their Fox shows, to try and build some of her hype back up. It's not like there is a shortage of them in that division.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think precisely becuae of the manner is wy it'll do better. I personally don't give a fuck about MMA and I'm interested in seeing the rematch and I doubt I'm alone. The advertisements write themselves.

SwolBro

Banned
What? Mayweather has fought world class talent his whole career. I'm still not sure why this concept is so hard to grasp.

Im talking about the fact that mayweather never diverted from his game plan. He never exposed himself. Fuck, if we're talking honestly here the guy was smart in picking his fights, never scheduling fights too early.

Look at what Ronda did. She fought what? 3-4 months after her last fight? After doing all the movies and publicity and all this other shit. Then she gives an interview to Fallon about how she could lose to Holms, and goes and loses like that.

You don't find that a bit fucking odd? My question is why, why did she do this. Is it the "yes men" around her? did she believe in her own invincibility ?

seems like no one stepped in and told her to focus

CBQec1w.gif

HOLY-

I'm about to pull a cartman!!!!

Darkman M

Im talking about the fact that mayweather never diverted from his game plan. He never exposed himself. Fuck, if we're talking honestly here the guy was smart in picking his fights, never scheduling fights too early.

Look at what Ronda did. She fought what? 3-4 months after her last fight? After doing all the movies and publicity and all this other shit. Then she gives an interview to Fallon about how she could lose to Holms, and goes and loses like that.

You don't find that a bit fucking odd? My question is why, why did she do this. Is it the "yes men" around her? did she believe in her own invincibility ?

seems like no one stepped in and told her to focus

gotcha read your post wrong.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think precisely becuae of the manner is wy it'll do better. I personally don't give a fuck about MMA and I'm interested in seeing the rematch and I doubt I'm alone. The advertisements write themselves.

Well we already know the UFC is going to frame Holly's win as a fluke. I just want to see how many are willing to buy that.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seriously, i don't know if people who say Manny is passed his prime realise that Floyd is 2 years older than him.

Floyd hasn't taken anything close to the damage Manny has

people always gloss right over this like it doesn't matter lol

Tripolygon

Banned
Floyd hasn't taken anything close to the damage Manny has

people always gloss right over this like it doesn't matter lol
Yup, Floyd hasn't taken much damage. I'm gonna take a guess and say, because he is masterful at defence.

People always gloss over this like it doesn't matter. Lol

Lokbob

Ronda has been talking about retiring for a while. She probably wanted the Cyborg fight for UFC 200 after this and be done.
I think after she gets the belt back from Holy she is out. Curious what she does if she loses the rematch though.

Seriously, i don't know if people who say Manny is passed his prime realise that Floyd is 2 years older than him.

But you're both wrong though. Context is key here. Just because someone is older, doesn't necessarily mean they are more past their prime.

Pac's style of boxing put him in wars compared to Floyd, thus getting more wear and tear on his body.

Saw your reply

Yeah, and the fact that he lost means he doesn't run from tough competition.

Same can't be said for Floyd, other wise he would have fought Amir Khan already.

Tesseract

Banned
Ronda has been talking about retiring for a while. She probably wanted the Cyborg fight for UFC 200 after this and be done.
I think after she gets the belt back from Holy she is out. Curious what she does if she loses the rematch though.

she's done, probably gets a science education

Yeah, and the fact that he lost means he doesn't run from tough competition.

Same can't be said for Floyd, other wise he would have fought Amir Khan already.

You said "tough competition" and "Amir Khan". I'm not seeing the correlation.

Oh wait let me guess if he fought Amir and won handily you would be saying Amir was passed his prime? Or that Floyd ran the whole time, right?

as for Oscar not "running from tough competition", the last 4 rounds of the Trinidad fight would like to have a word with you.

Tekniqs

and people gloss over the fact Floyd tried making the fight back in 2009/2010.

Also in 2012, but bob arum had a temporary stadium to build and Manny had a cut that would heal in time for JMM but wouldn't heal in time for Floyd.

lol

Tripolygon

Banned
But you're both wrong though. Context is key here. Just because someone is older, doesn't necessarily mean they are more past their prime.

Pac's style of boxing put him in wars compared to Floyd, thus getting more wear and tear on his body. You can ignore this little fact or keep on stanning.
1. Grow the fuck up, stanning? I don't even like Floyd.

2. You are right, Floyd doesn't like getting punched, no boxer does. That is why he knows how to defend himself.

You can ignore this fact or keep making excuses for why Floyd beat Pac and many boxers.

I do have to say I love this idea that because Oscar lost, he's a tough guy who didn't run from the competition, but because Floyd won all the time, he's a coward who picks and chooses his fights. It has nothing to do with simple fact that Floyd is just simply better than his opponents than Oscar was. Nope. Can't be it. Doesn't fit the narrative.

1. Grow the fuck up, stanning? I don't even like Floyd.

2. You are right, Floyd doesn't like getting punched, no boxer does. That is why he knows how to defend himself.

You can ignore this fact or keep making excuses for why Floyd beat Pac and many boxers.

And yet you have the nerve to use Floyd's age like it meant something in regards for someone being past their prime?

There is no excuse I used for Pac losing to Floyd because any version of Pac would have lost to him. I was just pointing out your faulty logic.

To chase a southpaw counter fighter vs cutting off, trying to brawl while circling into her power vs getting into positions where you can use your superior grappling ... The fact that Holly was a southpaw alone totally seemed foreign to Ronda not only in the striking ranges and the proper angles to use but in her basic throw attempts as well.
I didn't even think about the southpaw factor, but it's completely true. And especially embarrassing for her coaches and trainers.

Just dropping in real quick to post my thoughts and reflect on the fight. I was too aggressive to begin with and was looking to get that arm bar too quickly. Holly is a boxer and is built for distance fighting. She controlled the pace of the fight and kept me out of my comfort zone. Holly was the better fighter that night and deserved the victory. I have a lot to work on and I'm excited to return to the gym and push myself further than I ever have before. I'll be back, and better than ever.

Cipherr

Dude, he fought Pac-Man 5 years past his prime. That was arguably one of the worst boxing matches ever.

Pac was past his prime yes, but that doesn't make what Darkman said any less true. May did fight world class talent often during his career. You cannot take that from him because you wish he had fought Pac earlier.

Just dropping in real quick to post my thoughts and reflect on the fight. I was too aggressive to begin with and was looking to get that arm bar too quickly. Holly is a boxer and is built for distance fighting. She controlled the pace of the fight and kept me out of my comfort zone. Holly was the better fighter that night and deserved the victory. I have a lot to work on and I'm excited to return to the gym and push myself further than I ever have before. I'll be back, and better than ever.

The Real Rousey wouldn't be that humble haha

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Curious what she does if she loses the rematch though.

1) Becomes a gatekeeper and goes 2-4 before retiring.
2) Announces she's trying out for the Olympic team but fails to make the grade.
3) Disappears into b-movie superstardom.
4) Trains with a proper MMA gym that isn't built around her, builds a solid win streak, and then hopes the UFC gives her another shot.

Go home and be happy being a contender.

Tripolygon

Banned
And yet you have the nerve to use Floyd's age like it meant something in regards for someone being past their prime?

There is no excuse I used for Pac losing to Floyd because any version of Pac would have lost to him. I was just pointing out your faulty logic.
Na, there is no fault in my logic. Age plays a role in athletics as well damage, especially Boxing.

I assumed you were one of those fools saying Manny has passed his prime as if Floyd is in his prime, and for that i apologize.

1) Becomes a gatekeeper and goes 2-4 before retiring.
2) Announces she's trying out for the Olympic team but fails to make the grade.
3) Disappears into b-movie superstardom.
4) Trains with a proper MMA gym that isn't built around her, builds a solid win streak, and then hopes the UFC gives her another shot.

Or 1) retires because she is rich as fuck and has a fuckload of money and doesn't have to do anything ever again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom