• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwolBro

Banned
Ronda is not doing herself any favors, she is a fighter and got beat it happens to almost every fighter. The hiding is why people keep piling on, she doesn't seem to be a fighter. It looks like she thought she was but she got tested and crumpled. You guys see Rory tweet the day after his war with Lawler, his face was destroyed and he lost but he still said it was the greatest night of his life. If you a fighter you have to wear that shit with pride. The guys I respect you just can't break emotionally, sometimes their body gives out but the person inside stays strong.

It should be clear by now that the fame has gotten to her head. She wanted out of the UFC as soon as possible. If she won this, and the next two fights vs Cyborg and the other girl she already beat twice she could have retired and carried the wave of fame all the way through.

Now, now she's fucked. Her celebrity status is done if she can't win the rematch.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ronda is not doing herself any favors, she is a fighter and got beat it happens to almost every fighter. The hiding is why people keep piling on, she doesn't seem to be a fighter. It looks like she thought she was but she got tested and crumpled. You guys see Rory tweet the day after his war with Lawler, his face was destroyed and he lost but he still said it was the greatest night of his life. If you a fighter you have to wear that shit with pride. The guys I respect you just can't break emotionally, sometimes their body gives out but the person inside stays strong.

I remember the second after Lennon Lewis lost to Rahman "it was a lucky punch!" Lewis never shut up about it. Next fight he gets revenge. But Lewis was supremely confident. Rousey got dominated from the opening bell here. She's not looking too confident right now.

She's tuning up her grappling for the rematch.

lol, ice cold.

To be fair, Ronda could have just been unprepared for the fight. Too many interviews, press events, movie, TV show and video game tie ins and all the rest, and not enough dedicated focus on training. She didn't even look up to snuff at the weigh in. If she can overcome the physiological impact of the loss, she may yet be able to come back strong.

Yeah, from the looks of things, it seems like she was almost set up because she got wrecked and insisted on standing and trading blows (well, trying to). I'm pretty confident that her camp was definitely telling her she was a better boxer than she was. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was even paid off to lie to her about her skills because whatever she was doing was pure amateur hour stuff.

She's likely questioning her whole career at this point.

darscot

Now, now she's fucked. Her celebrity status is done if she can't win the rematch.

She turns the rematch into a war and loses and she will be loved again and her celebrity status will be completely restored. She made her legend on being a fighter and the masses love a fighter even when they lose. She just has to get back to being a fighter and start acting with some class and respect. I don't think its the getting beat that bothers people, its everything else.

Yeah, from the looks of things, it seems like she was almost set up because she got wrecked and insisted on standing and trading blows (well, trying to). I'm pretty confident that her camp was definitely telling her she was a better boxer than she was. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was even paid off to lie to her about her skills because whatever she was doing was pure amateur hour stuff.

She's likely questioning her whole career at this point.

I think everyone is at this point. People were ready to discredit Mayweathers career if he lost to Pacquio and Mayweather was 47-0. Rousey was what...11-0? Now she's 11-1. She needs a ton of wins to make up for this L, and if she wants to retire soon I don't think she'll get there.

I hate how often we have to fight re-matches....It never decides anything anywho.

I think everyone is at this point. People were ready to discredit Mayweathers career if he lost to Pacquio and Mayweather was 47-0. Rousey was what...11-0? Now she's 11-1. She needs a ton of wins to make up for this L, and if she wants to retire soon I don't think she'll get there.
Meh. I'm not a Rousey fan, and agree her career takes a hit from this L. But not as much as people think. Once this all shakes off we'll remember she still is a dominant fighter in her division who was bested by Holly. Shouldn't be much more to it really.

Rousey’s narrative was, from the start, one spun from invisible silk and gold. Even before Holly Holm left her looking clumsy, outclassed, overmatched, and technically unsound, her tale had evolved into the one of the most convoluted, prematurely stamped and certified in recent sports history. If Rousey’s story has any meaningful value, it’s as sports meta-commentary: a lamentable tale of mass complicity by virtue of our own delusions, desires, and disaffection.
Going to have to give this article a try, because this quoted section here just sounds like verbal diarrhea from someone who loves to sound smart.

eXtv

Banned
I hate how often we have to fight re-matches....It never decides anything anywho.

If the UFC are smart they'll take Floyd's advice and build Rousey back up on the undercards of Holm's first one or two title defenses and then book the rematch after she gets a couple of wins in her comeback.

But, nah. They're probably going to go for an immediate rematch because they're cash-hungry and don't know how to promote properly.

If the UFC are smart they'll take Floyd's advice and build Rousey back up on the undercards of Holm's first one or two title defenses and then book the rematch after she gets a couple of wins in her comeback.

But, nah. They're probably going to go for an immediate rematch because they're cash-hungry and don't know how to promote properly.

I just cant see a rematch going on Rondas favor

Dr.Acula

Banned

Of course the boxing guy says that. The UFC isn't based around having hundreds of cans blowing around for fighters to crush. When Daniel Cormier won the vacant LHW belt, his first defense was against a very dangerous Gustafsson. You don't get to pick your own opponent like in boxing. If you're the champ in the UFC, you start fighting contenders.

Lokbob

There is no way she can fix everything in this short amount of time.
She had no idea how to fight a southpaw, her footwork and boxing are pretty bad and she needs some wrestling.

Doing all this for UFC 200 while filming movies? And its not like Holly will sit on her ass and do nothing.

Sounds like Dillashaw vs. Barao 2

darscot

There is no way she can fix everything in this short amount of time.
She had no idea how to fight a southpaw, her footwork and boxing are pretty bad and she needs some wrestling.

Doing all this for UFC 200 while filming movies? And its not like Holly will sit on her ass and do nothing.

Well considering how she is hiding her face, I don't think the filming movies is going to be an issue for a while.

Garlador

proxy.jpg

Well, at least here it looks like she's learning a little something from Mayweather.

It's okay, Rousey. Hugs are good for you.

I just cant see a rematch going on Rondas favor

It completely can. Holly wins the stand up fight and Rousey wins the ground fight.

For a rematch she needs to figure out how to cut Holly's movement and some other ways to get the fight to the ground outside of her head wrap. Even though Holly completely dominated her, Rousey still could have finished the fight at one point. She just didn't capitalize.

Ideally she'd round out her stand up and come back strong but she can't get anywhere near Holly's level.

Rogan podcast with Dana wasn't very good.

Disagree. I enjoyed it — though I have to agree with some of you that that Tony dude wasn't very funny or insightful. He added very little to the conversation.

from the podcast

'the people that are mean and nasty and insulting after fights are the weakest aspects of humanity. they're the people that're scared and terrified, and they know they could never do that'

too true

Agreed. Talk all the shit you want, but 99% of us here would never have the courage to step into a ring/cage and lay our pride and health on the line like that.

Of course the boxing guy says that. The UFC isn't based around having hundreds of cans blowing around for fighters to crush. When Daniel Cormier won the vacant LHW belt, his first defense was against a very dangerous Gustafsson. You don't get to pick your own opponent like in boxing. If you're the champ in the UFC, you start fighting contenders.

The division isn't so flat that they couldn't give Rousey a warm-up bout against a lesser opponent.

They're playing fast and loose with one of their biggest draws. Anyone can have a bad night but the Rousey brand is going to lose substantial value if she gets dominated again.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Rogan is happy to build Ronda up as this once in a life time athlete and then has issues when people enjoy watching her fall, lol.

eXtv

Banned

That's an erroneous comparison. Cormier won the title and then fought Gustafsson. Ronda just lost the title.

Tesseract

Banned

ufc is way too good for that style of trash promotion

bring forth da dodecahedron ring

It seems like every time Dana puts his marketing weight behind a fighter, they either get upset, look bad, or get into legal trouble. It's like the kiss of Death. He might as well put a crown on them and call them King of the Ring.

Rogan is happy to build Ronda up as this once in a life time athlete and then has issues when people enjoy watching her fall, lol.

Enjoying someone's fall is kinda douchey, especially in sports.

People are busting their bodies and heads to compete and they are punishing themselves enough for their own failures and shortcomings already.

Disagree. I enjoyed it — though I have to agree with some of you that that Tony dude wasn't very funny or insightful. He added very little to the conversation.

Agreed. Talk all the shit you want, but 99% of us here would never have the courage to step into a ring/cage and lay our pride and health on the line like that.

Most of us aren't the sons or daughters of Judo world champions trained since childhood to be champion fighters.

Monster Zero

BS, I don't want to fight in a fucking cage, call it courage or whatever, but that doesn't excuse her being a dick,

Most fighters aren't. What's your point?

It's a sport, she loss, she talked shit, when have we started defending genuinely bad people on this board just to spare their feelings. No one would be saying shit if she was a graceful champ, but she's was anything but. You think people are gonna get like this when holly loses?

Most fighters aren't. What's your point?

People have years of prior experience before they get to the point where they enter a ring and face off against an opponent. Saying that some guy on an internet forum wouldn't have the courage to do it is dumb, because those people haven't put thousands of hours into training to specifically fight those kind of people.

When you're a rock star of that world and over hype yourself as she did then you're going to open yourself up to a high amount of criticism.

BS, I don't want to fight in a fucking cage, call it courage or whatever, but that doesn't excuse her being a dick,

It's a sport, she loss, she talked shit, when have we started defending genuinely bad people on this board just to spare their feelings. No one would be saying shit if she was a graceful champ, but she's was anything but. You think people are gonna get like this when holly loses?

But that's the thing, why does playing mind games and trying to get inside your opponents head makes you a bad person.

She's a great athlete, works hard and she foolishly underestimated her opponent and payed for it. I don't get all the hate and venom being thrown her way like she cheated her way to being a champion or something.

But that's the thing, why does playing mind games and trying to get inside your opponents head makes you a bad person.

She's a great athlete, works hard and she foolishly underestimated her opponent and payed for it. I don't get all the hate and venom being thrown her way like she cheated her way to being a champion or something.

You don't get it?

People love to hate someone with more achievements.

I used to do it too. Felt good. But it's stupid.

Monster Zero

She's a great athlete, works hard and she foolishly underestimated her opponent and payed for it. I don't get all the hate and venom being thrown her way like she cheated her way to being a champion or something.[/QUO
TE]

Remember what Ali said about Joe Frazier, you can't just run your mouth under the guise of "getting into someone's head" disrespect is met with disrespect. She called girl a fake Christian, do you know how insulting that is? When your father is a preacher? She talked to much and payed the price. I say pile on until she learns. 2 years she's been shitting on people, gifs of her crushing people, telling them not to cry, and now we supposed to feel sorry for her? No.

You're not supposed to feel something. Feel what you want.

It's just weird to decide to feel happy for a fighter that got beat while fighting lol

Edit: Unless you're a huge Holly Holm fan, then of course it's normal to feel happy.

Remember what Ali said about Joe Frazier, you can't just run your mouth under the guise of "getting into someone's head" disrespect is met with disrespect. She called girl a fake Christian, do you know how insulting that is? When your father is a preacher? She talked to much and payed the price. I say pile on until she learns. 2 years she's been shitting on people, gifs of her crushing people, telling them not to cry, and now we supposed to feel sorry for her? No.

The only time I can recall Ronda getting nasty in the lead up to fights is when there was a history of personal trash talk between both fighters (Tate) or when the other fighter came with the trash talk first (Bethe). I don't even recall Ronda being particularly nasty about Holm until the weigh-ins. Self confident? Sure. Cocky? I can see that. But I don't recall any actual trash talk until weigh-ins.

You don't get it?

People love to hate someone with more achievements.

I used to do it too. Felt good. But it's stupid.

Yeah, I stopped doing that 10 years ago. Concentrating on negativity, not trying to understand why people say and act a certain way. Simply having binary emotions and outlooks on everything surrounding you.

Media and the internet facilitates this sort of binary behavior and it's sad that some people refrain from having a different way of seeing things that could improve their view of the world and maybe enrich their lives in a way.

Some people would rather be surrounded by others who tell them lies and feel goods instead of the cold hard truth.

This isn't likely.

seems like she's loyal to a fault. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened to a fighter/boxer.

This is likely.

She has always trained with that camp. It's hard to say she surrounded herself with "yes men" when they were with her before she won her titles.

Yeah, I stopped doing that 10 years ago. Concentrating on negativity, not trying to understand why people say and act a certain way. Simply having binary emotions and outlooks on everything surrounding you.

Media and the internet facilitates this sort of binary behavior and it's sad that some people refrain from having a different way of seeing things that could improve their view of the world and maybe enrich their lives in a way.

Yea, the more people you see doing something the more normal it seems so you don't feel restraint agreeing. Even if it's crappy.

That being said, obviously everyone will feel whatever they want, but also everyone should take a second and wonder why they are feeling that way. Even if it doesn't change your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom