• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
That's not a block. That's an evade. So the evade button.

Also, I would play this...

ExhaustedWindingDassie.gif

I wish the evade was in here.

Takuan

Damn right, confidence is great but take it too far and it's counterproductive as hell.

Is Conor next? :p

I feel Conor's personality is more of an act than Rhonda's. Schaub was saying he expected Conor to be a complete fucktard when he had the opportunity to speak with him, but he came across as a genuinely good dude. I think he's got an extremely keen sense for business/marketing and figured if he was going to continue pursuing MMA as a career, he'd go all-out and make as much money as possible to be financially stable.

Remember, Conor was practically done with MMA after a teammate was forced to retire due to brain trauma. He took time to mull things over when Dana came knocking, and ultimately decided to make his mark with braggadocio.

He's stated since the beginning that he's in this to get paid. Win or lose, Conor can realistically retire after his next fight with what, $6-10 mil in his bank account? Considering that fact, I'm all for his antics; I see a man doing what he has to do.

nilbog21

Banned
Her trainer is such a fucking retard.. did you hear what he said to her after the first round? Where the fuck did she find this guy?

zewone

I feel Conor's personality is more of an act than Rhonda's. I think he's got an extremely keen sense for business/marketing and figured if he was going to continue pursuing MMA as a career, he'd go all-out and make as much money as possible to be financially stable.

Remember, Conor was practically done with MMA after a teammate was forced to retire due to brain trauma. He took time to mull things over when Dana came knocking, and ultimately decided to make his mark with braggadocio.

He's stated since the beginning that he's in this to get paid. Win or lose, Conor can realistically retire after his next fight with what, $6-10 mil in his bank account? Considering that fact, I'm all for his antics; I see a man doing what he has to do.

Give this man the award.

He gets it.

Long live the king.

2c4nyhS.jpg

-MD-

Her trainer is such a fucking retard.. did you hear what he said to her after the first round? Where the fuck did she find this guy?

From what I understand he didn't even originally want to coach her, she begged him until he agreed.

edit:
In fact, Tarverdyan has talked in the past about Rousey’s early days in his gym, admitting he wasn’t doing much coaching of the soon-to-be-world-famous fighter right away.

“When she came in, I didn’t want to train her because I had my hands full,” Tarverdyan told “The Joe Rogan Experience” podcast recently. “I was like, ‘What’s this girl doing? What is she going to do with this? Is she serious? Is she not?’ … She would have a lot of patience and have a lot of understanding and would work very hard. After like three, four months of being in the gym, I gave her a few pointers.”

Takuan

Give this man the award.

He gets it.

Long live the king.

2c4nyhS.jpg

Right? The man's having the time of his life and raking in all kinds of cash for it. How could anyone be mad at that? Say he does retire after the Aldo fight, he'll have made more money than any other fighter in the UFC in that short a timespan.

"Dey don't tink like I tink" rings so true.

-MD-

Right? The man's having the time of his life and raking in all kinds of cash for it. How could anyone be mad at that? Say he does retire after the Aldo fight, he'll have made more money than any other fighter in the UFC in that short a timespan.

Pretty sure Ronda made more than Conor in the same amount of time.

I can never be mad at Conor. He is so entertaining inside and out of the octagon.

The level of trash talking is on another level.

It is so funny that he backs it up, imagine if he beats Aldo...

I feel Conor's personality is more of an act than Rhonda's. Schaub was saying he expected Conor to be a complete fucktard when he had the opportunity to speak with him, but he came across as a genuinely good dude. I think he's got an extremely keen sense for business/marketing and figured if he was going to continue pursuing MMA as a career, he'd go all-out and make as much money as possible to be financially stable.

Bingo.

Aldo is still chopping his ass down.

It reminds me of people trying to defend iggy azalea and trying to blame sexism on the hate that she get. Iggy is/was a racist/classist/fraud who completely antagonized anybody who had the misfortune of hearing her speak outside of T.I's lyrics that she peddled.

Ronda Rousey, for all her accomplishments, has said some outrageous things that rightfully got under people's skins. Outside of fighting, she has confirmed 100% that she is a 9/11 truther, worse she is a Sandy Hook Truther. That one by itself would destroy any other celeb but she is teflon. She shows an extreme lack of class. From Bethe (which was warranted imo) to Cat to Meisha to Holly. Ronda even talked super shit about Michael Phelps because he didn't want to hang out with her.

Her crusade against Mayweather for domestic abuse while she admittedly beat the shit out her ex while he did nothing to defend himself, and is dating Travis Browne who has had domestic abuse allegations shows her as a hypocrite. She is not a good person, and is arrogance and hubris personified. There isn't much to defend unless you bought into her as a goddess amongst humans, and that was proven false oh so gloriously by Holly at the fight.

You contrast Holly to Ronda, you get two seperate entities.

One person is a bonifide champion who used her successes in other sports to get better.
One person is a bonifide champion who used her successes in other sports to get by.

It's not always good to see a star fall, but it's good when that star is someone like Ronda Rousey.

Eww, We Are Change looks like a Truther site and I clicked on it. >_<

Funny that you mention it. If that's actually the case, it would seem like Connor has more in common with Floyd than Ronda. The other thing Connor has is losses on his record, unlike Ronda prior to this fight.

Damn right, confidence is great but take it too far and it's counterproductive as hell.

Is Conor next? :p

Honestly that Mendes fight showed how bad his ground game is, so there is potential for him to get blown up for that in a future match.

That being said he's way less one dimensional than Ronda and I'm sure he's gonna start working on stopping take downs after that match unless he's crazy.

Yaari

I wonder how much of his ACL being wrecked was true. Will be interesting to see how his takedown defense is against Aldo.

dream

I think, Takuan, that one of the things this thread reveals is that UFC fans wholly and completely buy into the characters of the fighters. I mean, my god, look how pissy some people got about Ronda refusing to touch gloves. So Connor is the perfect "bad guy" for them to hate, and they'll keep finding streams of his fights until he finally gets his "comeuppance."

Takuan

Bingo.

Aldo is still chopping his ass down.

I don't know how to call it. Both have great chins, both would prefer to keep it standing, both are looking for the KO. I don't particularly favor either fighter, so I'm just looking forward to a really good fight.

I also look forward to Rhonda coming back. The rematch situation is interesting, because she's still head and shoulders above everyone in the women's division not named Holly Holm, but she got decimated in such a way that an instant rematch seems bad for everyone.

Any word on when Cat is fighting next? I want to see Cat/Holm, but I also want to see a Cat/Rousey rematch where the former doesn't bullrush to her doom 5 seconds into the fight.

I think, Takuan, that one of the things this thread reveals is that UFC fans wholly and completely buy into the characters of the fighters. I mean, my god, look how pissy some people got about Ronda refusing to touch gloves. So Connor is the perfect "bad guy" for them to hate, and they'll keep finding streams of his fights until he finally gets his "comeuppance."
You're right, but at the same time Rhonda's competitiveness does seem to make her prone to being a really poor sport in general. Or maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid, too.

Yaari

She wanted out until UFC 200, with a KO loss like the one she suffered, they will probably see all the more reason to let her have that break.

I wonder if they will keep Holly on the side during that time too.

-MD-

I don't know how to call it. Both have great chins, both would prefer to keep it standing, both are looking for the KO. I don't particularly favor either fighter, so I'm just looking forward to a really good fight.

I also look forward to Rhonda coming back. The rematch situation is interesting, because she's still head and shoulders above everyone in the women's division not named Holly Holm, but she got decimated in such a way that an instant rematch seems bad for everyone.

Any word on when Cat is fighting next? I want to see Cat/Holm, but I also want to see a Cat/Rousey rematch where the former doesn't bullrush to her doom 5 seconds into the fight.

Nothing on Cat yet but they said they have something brewing for her, I'm expecting to hear something soon.

Pretty much everyone who meets Conor behind the scenes says he's an awesome dude, hell even Chad Mendes and Uriah Faber said as much

The Adder

Banned
What if she actually did let him train her? Where would that put her in skill before a rematch?

If she focused entirely on defense and controling space, she might have a shot. If she decided to try to learn how to out punch a former champion boxer, she'll wind up with her block knocked off again.

Thats what a prize fighter is. They move up in the ranking/gather interest and they fight as many money matches as possible.

Why do you think Chad Mendes decided to fight Conor on 2 weeks notice? He couldnt care less about the belt...he made the biggest payday of his entire career.

amaretto

Ronda's loss got me going through her previous fights and man, do I really wish Tate would take her on again. I don't know if Tate is even into UFC still (I know nothing about it) but watching that fight and seeing her just almost get Ronda in the armbar is fucking exciting.

Maybe if Tate had a little more defensive skill she could have stopped the Rousey train before it really got going. But what a great fight nonetheless.

EDIT: Tate's defense is actually pretty good. How she escaped that fully stretched armbar is beyond me, I don't know what she's lacking exactly but she put up a phenomenal fight.

-MD-

Jeeeez, they are seriously taking down the analysis videos? I mean really, the Firas video is like basically still pictures and barely even actual clips :/ It's literally Firas drawing a yellow line over a jpeg of Rousey,.

They took down a lot of things, they even took down Holly's octagon interview and removed the KO replay along with a bunch of Holly's speech and Rogan saying "you're the champ!".

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What if she actually did let him train her? Where would that put her in skill before a rematch?

Impossible to say. According to Ronda, all the training she's done since starting MMA has been almost purely striking and this is the result of the last 5 or so years.

Why do they keep pulling that breakdown? There's almost no moving footage of the fight itself, and the analysis manages to make Ronda look WAY more competent than a lot of the post-fight narrative is pushing.

abuC

Impossible to say. According to Ronda, all the training she's done since starting MMA has been almost purely striking and this is the result of the last 5 or so years.

That's pretty sad, her trainer did a horrible job teaching her how to box. She didn't even know the basic rule of fighting a southpaw, she gave up lead foot position on every single encounter.

That's pretty sad, her trainer did a horrible job teaching her how to box. She didn't even know the basic rule of fighting a southpaw, she gave up lead foot position on every single encounter.

More shocking is how incompetent she was at cutting the ring. It's understandable if she's not an elite boxer, but her whole striking game should be designed to get the clinch. The amount of energy she wasted chasing Holm is probably what cost her the fight.

There's a pretty good analysis here that I don't think has been posted. Pretty interesting stuff.

HOW HOLLY HOLM KILLED QUEEN RONDA ROUSEY

More shocking is how incompetent she was at cutting the ring. It's understandable if she's not an elite boxer, but her whole striking game should be designed to get the clinch. The amount of energy she wasted chasing Holm is probably what cost her the fight.

There's a pretty good analysis here that I don't think has been posted. Pretty interesting stuff.

That was a great read. Thanks!

Jack Slack is the best, I love that guy's articles.

I don't think Fedor Emalianenko or Tyson ever really fully recovered from their first big losses either. I think when you're built up to impossible levels, the physiological impact from a loss is far greater.

Fedor had been on top for close to a decade and had 30+ fights by the time he had his first loss. Guy was in his mid 30s after 20 years of competing at a high level in judo and then MMA. Fedor didnt crumble because he lost, he was already showing signs that he was getting old physically and losing his motivation.

Fedor had the normal run of a great champ who hung around a little too long, past his prime,and then suffered losses at the end of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom