• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.
JpFjrrM.gif

Move of the night.

Every time I see this gif...damn.

Dat moment when she lets her arms down...she'd already given up.

What did he say to Schaub?

He basically told him that he didn't look like an elite fighter and he's in a position where he has other and better options outside of fighting. It was really harsh but honest and ultimately imo true seeing how Schaub retired and from everything I've heard listening to Fighter and the Kid he seems much happier.

Wallach

He basically told him that he didn't look like an elite fighter and he's in a position where he has other and better options outside of fighting. It was really harsh but honest and ultimately imo true seeing how Schaub retired and from everything I've heard listening to Fighter and the Kid he seems much happier.

Oh, was that before Schaub retired? If that is what led to him retiring then I'm glad. Schaub is a good guy, and smart enough to make a better life than what sticking around in the UFC would have led to.

Oh, was that before Schaub retired? If that is what led to him retiring then I'm glad. Schaub is a good guy, and smart enough to make a better life than what sticking around in the UFC would have led to.

I think it was definitely a part of it.

Reebok deal prob didn't help as well, a LOT of fighters lost money on that and Schaub was very vocal in his criticism of it.

Edit-Random note, people now say it's hilarious she said she could beat Mayweather, do remember Holm had to defend some very real attempts at an arm bar and she did it well. Mayweather would have no idea wtf is going if she clinched with him and it would be DEATH.

Camwi

He also warned him (or reminded him) how bad the brain damage was going to be with all these KOs. Rogan definitely helped him out in the end.

fertygo

Reebok deal prob didn't help as well, a LOT of fighters lost money on that and Schaub was very vocal in his criticism of it.

Edit-Random note, people now say it's hilarious she said she could beat Mayweather, do remember Holm had to defend some very real attempts at an arm bar and she did it well. Mayweather would have no idea wtf is going if she clinched with him and it would be DEATH.
if its Mayweather that land 4-5 clean straight before those judo attempt we already had complaint from human rights group now.

if its Mayweather that land 4-5 clean straight before those judo attempt we already had complaint from human rights group now.

Honestly I can't really speak to how much harder he could hit her but she definitely ate some shots and still managed to force that clinch. I guess in a weird way it's arguably a more balanced match up because both would have massive holes in their game and traditionally wrestlers/grapplers win when their opponent has no idea how to stop it, even with a size difference.

HiResDes

Mayweather probably has more power though. Anyway you are right about Holly being in danger more than I think people realize. If Ronda had better boxing defense and got another chance on the ground not sure if Holly would have been able to defend against the bar again considering how close she was to getting subbed at one point.

Yaari

She asked for a no-rules fight so I'm going to assume that rules out gloves. If she bullrushes, head straight, into a power straight from Floyd, then she breaks her nose on the first punch.

But yeah it's all speculation. I guess I just don't like people talking themselves into fights that are never going to happen. I thought it was hilarious that Floyd gave the nicest supportive response when asked about her loss.

(He's still an asshole, don't get me wrong).

JpFjrrM.gif

Move of the night.
Looking at this again, at what point did Holm get notice to dodge this? I thought she did it on reaction, but it looks like she dodges at the exact moment Rhonda throws. She must have figured her out at that moment. I mean, there isn't any real "tell" to her throwing that punch fur such a quick dodge in that manner. I thought it may have been the step in, but she does it before that really. Talk about knowing your opponent...

That feeling had to have been fucking hopeless. I see why Rhonda tried just chasing her toward the end. Chick had a damn sharringan on her. Again, I'm someone who thought Holm would/could win, but that was beyond spectacular.

Yaari

Yeah she probably figured out Ronda's predictable aggressive pattern. She was just swinging for the fences at that point.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The real question here is: Who would win in a fight: Holly 'Holmes' Holm or Bruce Lee?
PLS RESPOND

Well, I've seen people insult other's religion and family on this very board lol. I'd probably get banned for saying hateful things about the people that did that around here and praised when they faced misfortune. I don't really have an issue with not liking her, it's just the vitriol that comes with it. Rhonda, like her or not, has achieved so much while continuously being herself. She achieved so much in fact, that one loss would give others joy and pleasure. Holm beat the fuck out of her like master vs student, which even shocked me as I predicted her to win. Can't get around that ass beating. It's just when people spew venom when they would never do so in person, or even have this much emotion and vested interest in someone's failure that has succeeded in so much that she has worked her ass off for...I find it sad. It's sad to be that weak lol. The better woman won, and in spectacular fashion, which warrants gif attention and admiration.

Why so much hatred though? I get the common folk that just like to post in the ignorant echo chamber, but some seem pretty vested in it. It's just empty when it comes from someone that hasn't accomplished anything. I talked to someone last night (who let's just say, has a lesser job she is unhappy with) that was so happy she lost and talked so much shit about how bad she was. I mean, there is a reason she is where she is, and most others are where they are. A single loss getting this attention is nearly confirmation of greatness in itself.

Indeed. It was this moment, that you know Rhonda immediately knew she was fucked. That was insane.

Great post, agree wholeheartedly

lednerg

I didn't get to see the Firas Zahabi video since it's been taken down; hopefully that'll be resolved, seems like fair use to me. In the meantime:
Luke Thomas analysis of the fight is up. Excellent stuff if people want to see a technical breakdown of the fight and exactly how Holm beat Rousey

https://youtu.be/rBEhcxDaoYs

Seriously watch this if your into the details. Its not just striking or boxing Holm beat Rousey with. Her MMA game and skills set is fantastic

This was really good. A very thorough analysis. Highly recommended. You should probably have the actual fight video handy to skip to the times in the fight he talks about, but it's not entirely necessary. Start at around 15:35 to skip the preamble if you want, but I wouldn't.

She's a pressure fighter, she's going to get hit. Someone like Holm is just perfectly equipped to make mincemeat out of Ronda and unless the latter overhauls her striking game from the ground up, she'll lose 100 out of 100 fights with Holm.

A pressure fighter can be much more successful by having it's chin tucked in, instead of looking like a spring loaded toy box whenever it opens up with strikes. Ronda needs to keep her aggressivness due to her wanting the clinch, that's her end-game, that's what she wants and the more times she closes in, the better the probability that she gets a throw in is. That said she needs to work on her defense and footwork a lot.

The real question here is: Who would win in a fight: Holly 'Holmes' Holm or Bruce Lee?
PLS RESPOND

Bruce lee, with a one inch punch right in the boob.

Looking at this again, at what point did Holm get notice to dodge this? I thought she did it on reaction, but it looks like she dodges at the exact moment Rhonda throws.

That was a sloppy ass hook, not to say it didn't come out with any velocity, but from her point of view with all the training and experience she has,it's no surprise she saw that coming a mile away.

fader

Looking at this again, at what point did Holm get notice to dodge this? I thought she did it on reaction, but it looks like she dodges at the exact moment Rhonda throws. She must have figured her out at that moment. I mean, there isn't any real "tell" to her throwing that punch fur such a quick dodge in that manner. I thought it may have been the step in, but she does it before that really. Talk about knowing your opponent...

That feeling had to have been fucking hopeless. I see why Rhonda tried just chasing her toward the end. Chick had a damn sharringan on her. Again, I'm someone who thought Holm would/could win, but that was beyond spectacular.

Ronda always usually throws a left hand to lead into a clinch when her opponent is on the cage. Holms just knew.

Well, I've seen people insult other's religion and family on this very board lol. I'd probably get banned for saying hateful things about the people that did that around here and praised when they faced misfortune. I don't really have an issue with not liking her, it's just the vitriol that comes with it. Rhonda, like her or not, has achieved so much while continuously being herself. She achieved so much in fact, that one loss would give others joy and pleasure. Holm beat the fuck out of her like master vs student, which even shocked me as I predicted her to win. Can't get around that ass beating. It's just when people spew venom when they would never do so in person, or even have this much emotion and vested interest in someone's failure that has succeeded in so much that she has worked her ass off for...I find it sad. It's sad to be that weak lol. The better woman won, and in spectacular fashion, which warrants gif attention and admiration.

Why so much hatred though? I get the common folk that just like to post in the ignorant echo chamber, but some seem pretty vested in it. It's just empty when it comes from someone that hasn't accomplished anything. I talked to someone last night (who let's just say, has a lesser job she is unhappy with) that was so happy she lost and talked so much shit about how bad she was. I mean, there is a reason she is where she is, and most others are where they are. A single loss getting this attention is nearly confirmation of greatness in itself.

Indeed. It was this moment, that you know Rhonda immediately knew she was fucked. That was insane.
Who would be stupid enough to spew venom to a UFC fighter? No shit no one would do that. This is the internet. When someone acts arrogant and loses, they get made fun of. It's not the first nor the last time. I actually like Ronda, but I find this thread hysterical.

Ronda definitely telegraphs the punch. Look at her left arm right before she actually throws the punch, she cocks it slightly as if she was getting her aim right. Holm has seen that thousands of times so it's fairly obvious to her.

Not to mention Holm is leaning her head in to bait Rousey. She's just expecting that hook. It's a heavily used strategy by Holm: bait an attack and counter.

eXtv

Banned
A pressure fighter can be much more successful by having it's chin tucked in, instead of looking like a spring loaded toy box whenever it opens up with strikes. Ronda needs to keep her aggressiveness due to her wanting the clinch, that's her end-game, that's what she wants and the more times she closes in, the better the probability that she gets a throw in is. That said she needs to work on her defense and footwork a lot.

She could do with watching some Chris Weidman fights. He's no José Aldo with his head movement but he understands how to make incremental increases in pressure until his opponent is completely trapped. He's a master at cage-cutting. Ronda is not.

QuarterlyBestChrysalis.gif

EthanC

Banned

I like how you ignore the fact that she said Obama killed children to advance an anti-gun agenda and continue to ask "Why don't people like her?!"

abuC

Let it go already, Mayweather would knock her out, before Ronda got that first armbar attempt she had already eaten a clean 2-3-2 combo, the last straight left had her mouth open the rest of the fight. A 2-3-2 combo from Mayweather would put her to sleep, especially with how flush they landed.

Mayweather is 15lbs heavier than Holly and a much harder puncher against his own competition. Holly has 9 KO's in 45 fights as a boxer, Floyd has 26 in 49 fights.

She could do with watching some Chris Weidman fights. He's no José Aldo with his head movement but he understands how to make incremental increases in pressure until his opponent is completely trapped. He's a master at cage-cutting. Ronda is not.

QuarterlyBestChrysalis.gif

It's all about lateral movement, don't chase, that just wastes energy.

Stand in the middle of the ring, move from side to side as your opponent tries to circle around you, it's amazing how thirty feet becomes fifteen then.

fader

It's all about lateral movement, don't chase, that just wastes energy.

Stand in the middle of the ring, move from side to side as your opponent tries to circle around you, it's amazing how thirty feet becomes fifteen then.

more proof how edmond is drizzling shitz

BigDug13

Rousey might as well go back to the old days where she doesn't pretend she has a stand up game. By the time she really tried to use some judo she was already getting her ass beat and was easy to counter. It's like she's been drinking her own "I'm a good boxer now" koolaid. Go break arms girl. That's what you do.

Yaari

floydmayweatherjr20.jpg

BT: Champ, I hear you're about to get on your plane. Is there anything else you want to say before you have to go?

FM: I want Ronda Rousey to hold her head up high and don't let this discourage you. If you need help as far as with boxing, I'm here to help you. It's all about timing and inches. Her ground game is unbelievable. She'll be okay. You know, but I'm waiting for the comeback of Jon Jones and the other guy that Jon Jones faced before [Daniel Cormier]. I would love to sponsor those guys. I look forward to working with a lot of MMA fighters as far as teaching them boxing techniques. It's the little small things in contact sports that can take you to that next level.

Lol. How awkward that would be now.

I'm sorry but i'm starting to think no. I've seen all her fights in the UFC. Most of the time she was just tougher and more athletic than the other women. She was a one trick pony waiting to be exposed.

I just never follow UFC outside of actual events. Seeing these videos of her training, her trainer, all this info... how were people stupid not to bet on this fight?

I get it that it's Dana White and the UFC's job to sell her as this bigger than life figure and i guess could we expect Joe Rogan to step on his bosses toes? I liked Joe but i'm a little sour on him now. His credibility may be shot with me.

Everyone's always known that her stand up was weak. Everyone has always known that her Gym and lead trainer were relatively unknown (Though Edmond did train Karo Parisyan and Manny Gamburyan who both saw success in the UFC/WEC). Despite what you're seeing people spout with the gifs, the training videos don't expose anything of note, especially since the gifs are out of context anyways.

come on now, its easy to look like a wrecking machine when your opponents fight as stupid as her previous opponents.

Her previous opponents didn't fight stupidly. They were just beat. Soundly.

Just because she was defeated as soundly as she was by Holm does not actually mean she was a terrible fighter or that anyone was lied to about her abilities. She had a bad gameplan and failed to adapt and Holm fought her perfect fight and it lined up to create what we saw. This is not at all rare in sports. Sometimes a team makes it to the championships and gets blown out. That doesn't retroactively make them a terrible team. Sometimes you're Mike Tyson.. tearing through opponents and then Buster Douglas or Evander Holyfield come along and you lose.

Looking at Holm's previous two UFC fights.. she didn't have a quick and efficient start in either of those fights and damn near lost, in the standup, to an MMA fighter without half the standup pedigree she has.

Why so much hatred though?

It reminds me of people trying to defend iggy azalea and trying to blame sexism on the hate that she get. Iggy is/was a racist/classist/fraud who completely antagonized anybody who had the misfortune of hearing her speak outside of T.I's lyrics that she peddled.

Ronda Rousey, for all her accomplishments, has said some outrageous things that rightfully got under people's skins. Outside of fighting, she has confirmed 100% that she is a 9/11 truther, worse she is a Sandy Hook Truther. That one by itself would destroy any other celeb but she is teflon. She shows an extreme lack of class. From Bethe (which was warranted imo) to Cat to Meisha to Holly. Ronda even talked super shit about Michael Phelps because he didn't want to hang out with her.

Her crusade against Mayweather for domestic abuse while she admittedly beat the shit out her ex while he did nothing to defend himself, and is dating Travis Browne who has had domestic abuse allegations shows her as a hypocrite. She is not a good person, and is arrogance and hubris personified. There isn't much to defend unless you bought into her as a goddess amongst humans, and that was proven false oh so gloriously by Holly at the fight.

You contrast Holly to Ronda, you get two seperate entities.

One person is a bonifide champion who used her successes in other sports to get better.
One person is a bonifide champion who used her successes in other sports to get by.

It's not always good to see a star fall, but it's good when that star is someone like Ronda Rousey.

Everyone's always known that her stand up was weak. Everyone has always known that her Gym and lead trainer were relatively unknown (Though Edmond did train Karo Parisyan and Manny Gamburyan who both saw success in the UFC/WEC). Despite what you're seeing people spout with the gifs, the training videos don't expose anything of note, especially since the gifs are out of context anyways.

Her previous opponents didn't fight stupidly. They were just beat. Soundly.

Just because she was defeated as soundly as she was by Holm does not actually mean she was a terrible fighter or that anyone was lied to about her abilities. She had a bad gameplan and failed to adapt and Holm fought her perfect fight and it lined up to create what we saw. This is not at all rare in sports. Sometimes a team makes it to the championships and gets blown out. That doesn't retroactively make them a terrible team. Sometimes you're Mike Tyson.. tearing through opponents and then Buster Douglas or Evander Holyfield come along and you lose.

Looking at Holm's previous two UFC fights.. she didn't have a quick an effecient start in either of those fights and damn near lost, in the standup, to an MMA fighter without half the standup pedigree she has.

Context? Her striking did not look good - period.

And her opponents absolutely did fight stupidly. Did you see the Cat Zingano fight? For this fight, Rousey seemed to have a game plan. She didn't really attempt to strike with Holm - Holm was just beast at neutralizing her attempts. Pretty much any time when it was a standup battle, Holm starched her.

I agree mostly on the rest.

It exposed a lot actually.

Namely that she doesn't actually know how to box at all, or at the very least has trouble applying what she was taught in an actual fight.

And seeing as how they hyped up her striking skills to such a degree before hand, this is troubling.

eXtv

Banned
I don't agree with everything said in this but it's absolutely necessary at this time. Ruthless and insightful.

https://the-cauldron.com/the-end-of-an-error-cbac04dc4a98

Rousey’s narrative was, from the start, one spun from invisible silk and gold. Even before Holly Holm left her looking clumsy, outclassed, overmatched, and technically unsound, her tale had evolved into the one of the most convoluted, prematurely stamped and certified in recent sports history. If Rousey’s story has any meaningful value, it’s as sports meta-commentary: a lamentable tale of mass complicity by virtue of our own delusions, desires, and disaffection.

ApharmdX

Banned
floydmayweatherjr20.jpg

Lol. How awkward that would be now.

Floyd is classing it up. He's done this in the past, too, with regards to MMA. He spoke out about low fighter pay and has talked about maybe promoting some fighters, or starting a fighters-first MMA promotion.

All of the crap RR talked on this guy and he killed her with kindness this weekend.

Context? Her striking did not look good - period.

And her opponents absolutely did fight stupidly. Did you see the Cat Zingano fight? For this fight, Rousey seemed to have a game plan. She didn't really attempt to strike with Holm - Holm was just beast at neutralizing her attempts. Pretty much any time when it was a standup battle, Holm starched her.

I agree mostly on the rest.

Her striking did not look professional Boxer good, true. And the most quoted gif that people claim is her "shadow boxing" is actually just her warming up and loosening up her muscles, hence the exaggerated motions.

Cat Zingano was one opponent. What about the other 11 she beat? And yes, she very clearly did attempt to strike with Holm. A grappler who is determined to grapple would have had a hell of a lot more attempts at shooting in for a hold or takedown directly, rather than standing and exchanging.

It exposed a lot actually.

Namely that she doesn't actually know how to box at all, or at the very least has trouble applying what she was taught in an actual fight.

And seeing as how they hyped up her striking skills to such a degree before hand, this is troubling.

I wouldn't go as far as saying she doesn't know how to box at all. But again.. it didn't actually expose anything. We've seen her stand up before and it's always been like it was in the Holm fight (though she usually doesn't chase quite so much).

The only person to hype up her striking skills was herself and her trainer.. her trainer more than anything. When is the last time you saw a trainer, leading up to a fight, say anything along the lines of "My fighter is terrible at _____ and his/her next oponnent is clearly better than him/her at it!" They don't.

Her striking didn't look professional female MMA good.

Have you seen a lot of women's professional MMA? The vast majority of the women are wreslters or BJJ specialists first and foremost. Pro-level Boxing/Kickboxing trained women are relatively recent. JJ and Holm are the only two that I can think of off the top of my head that have long and experienced careers in either of those two sports.

Jumeira

Banned
Floyd is playing this incredibly well. Very smart.

Seems like he's trolling RR, she has to accept he'd be her superior (we all know this but she'd internally need to submit to this truth). As someone said, its masterful trolling, subtle and unnoticed.

This is greatness in action, MW is a legend.

RK9039

Seems like he's trolling RR, she has to accept he'd be her superior (we all know this but she'd internally need to submit to this truth). As someone said, its masterful trolling, subtle and unnoticed.

This is greatness in action, MW is a legend.

Plus 50 Pence seems to be doing the dirty work on his behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom