• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 193 OT: Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm / First PPV headlined by 2 womens Title Fights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaari

Yeah pretty sad. Not sure why she's covering up. As if we've not seen people get their faces busted up before.

I doubt she'll ever be as cocky again after this.

BadAss2961

8927500.jpg

the-dark-knight-rises-teaser-final-shot-bane-e1311087902390.jpg
Victory really had defeated her.

Floyd is classing it up. He's done this in the past, too, with regards to MMA. He spoke out about low fighter pay and has talked about maybe promoting some fighters, or starting a fighters-first MMA promotion.

All of the crap RR talked on this guy and he killed her with kindness this weekend.
I called it before. Would be awesome if he's serious and Ronda actually goes to train with him. I'm ready for that real life Rocky 3 story.

Fury451

Banned
Looking at this again, at what point did Holm get notice to dodge this? I thought she did it on reaction, but it looks like she dodges at the exact moment Rhonda throws. She must have figured her out at that moment. I mean, there isn't any real "tell" to her throwing that punch fur such a quick dodge in that manner. I thought it may have been the step in, but she does it before that really. Talk about knowing your opponent...

Holm used V.A.T.S. and had a high chance for crits.

Floyd being top tier troll with the kindness there. Lawd have mercy.

Maybe he is, but honestly he's never really trashed talked Ronda from what I remember. It seems like at worst he just didn't really care.

ironcreed

Banned
Rousey was spiritually crushed. I'm kinda surprised by that because it hints that she was delusional about her status.

She was being hyped up to be some sort of untouchable goddess by the media and marketing. The problem is that instead of being grounded in reality with some humility outside of all that hype, she bought into all of it. That illusion being shattered is the best thing for her... if she learns from it.

ironcreed

Banned
Seems like physiologically this has really done a number on her. I think it's good in a sense though. She was becoming far too arrogant, rude, disrespectful and proud. I'm glad the more humble, kind and decent fighter out of the two won, even though I do appreciate Ronda's immense talent.

She is probably hiding her face more due to the mask being removed than wanting to hide her cuts and bruises.

Yeah pretty sad. Not sure why she's covering up. As if we've not seen people get their faces busted up before.

I doubt she'll ever be as cocky again after this.

I doubt she'll even be the same. It seems she is mentally broken, like I thought would happen after such a devastating loss.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think people are reading way too much into the "Afraid to show her face" thing. It's like, two days after the fight. You can't expect Rousey just to run into the airport with a face swollen up like a puffer fish, grinning and high fiving people whilst looking like a battered horse. It would hardly do much for her image.

She just needs a few days to recover, mentally and physically.

nib95

Banned
Wow.. i do hope she recovers from this. This is a life altering expierence for her i think. This will leave deep deep scars.

I don't think Fedor Emalianenko or Tyson ever really fully recovered from their first big losses either. I think when you're built up to impossible levels, the physiological impact from a loss is far greater.

Unlikely but can't wait for Ronda to come back and beat Holly just so everyone that is unloading on her shuts up.

Then again Holly is such a sweetheart.

I'm not sure what I want more.Conflicting feelings.

Delt31

jesus. I can't believe people's overreaction to this fight. The girl was doing 1000 things at once and completely overlooked Holly. Match begins and Holly surprised the hell out of her and everyone else. Fight over - that's MMA.

Ronda is incredibly talented. Bunch of fools if you think she will just go away or has been "exposed". Seriously? What happens when Ronda comes back and beats her with an arm bar a min in? Fluke? Please. All about strategy and mental game. Neither was there for Ronda. Is she going to beat up mayweather? cmon now people - it's a freaking show. Anyone who think that would happen is a fool again. Even Ronda knows this but good to know there are internet forums for people to chew over it and get pissed.

Here's the takeaway - Ronda is still good. Ronda got her ass knocked out. Ronda is a fighter and will be back.

btw - very very classy move on FM's part. As someone else mentioned - he's playing the right angle. Anyone who beats up women is dead in my book but still - playing the "right" angle here.

nilbog21

Banned
floydmayweatherjr20.jpg

BT: Champ, I hear you're about to get on your plane. Is there anything else you want to say before you have to go?

FM: I want Ronda Rousey to hold her head up high and don't let this discourage you. If you need help as far as with boxing, I'm here to help you. It's all about timing and inches. Her ground game is unbelievable. She'll be okay. You know, but I'm waiting for the comeback of Jon Jones and the other guy that Jon Jones faced before [Daniel Cormier]. I would love to sponsor those guys. I look forward to working with a lot of MMA fighters as far as teaching them boxing techniques. It's the little small things in contact sports that can take you to that next level.

Spoken like a true world class champion. Ronda take note pls

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Saying she overlooked Holly is disrespectful to both fighters. She knew what Holly's gameplan was going in per her Tonight Show interview and still got crushed bell to bell. That's not overlooking someone.

And she was exposed.

EthanC

Banned
Unlikely but can't wait for Ronda to come back and beat Holly just so everyone that is unloading on her shuts up.

Then again Holly is such a sweetheart.

I'm not sure what I want more.Conflicting feelings.

I know what I want. I want to see a rematch. And in it I want to see the classless Sandy Hook Truther get her ass beaten again.

nib95

Banned
To be fair, Ronda could have just been unprepared for the fight. Too many interviews, press events, movie, TV show and video game tie ins and all the rest, and not enough dedicated focus on training. She didn't even look up to snuff at the weigh in. If she can overcome the physiological impact of the loss, she may yet be able to come back strong.

To be fair, Ronda could have just been unprepared for the fight. Too many interviews, press events, movie, TV show and video game tie ins and all the rest, and not enough dedicated focus on training. She didn't even look up to snuff at the weigh in. If she can overcome the physiological impact of the loss, she may yet be able to come back strong.

That is still her fault and just shows how she bought into her own hype to not take Holly seriously.

You could tell she was too overwhelmed and emotional from the weigh ins.

She almost cried when she was telling Holly she's gonna show her why she's the champ.

Very bad sign.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't think Fedor Emalianenko or Tyson ever really fully recovered from their first big losses either. I think when you're built up to impossible levels, the physiological impact from a loss is far greater.

That's why Jon Jones is so dangerous. He's got that blemish on his record, so he doesn't have to stay "perfect" but he's also never lost a fight really.

darscot

Ronda is not doing herself any favors, she is a fighter and got beat it happens to almost every fighter. The hiding is why people keep piling on, she doesn't seem to be a fighter. It looks like she thought she was but she got tested and crumpled. You guys see Rory tweet the day after his war with Lawler, his face was destroyed and he lost but he still said it was the greatest night of his life. If you a fighter you have to wear that shit with pride. The guys I respect you just can't break emotionally, sometimes their body gives out but the person inside stays strong.

Ronda is not doing herself any favors, she is a fighter and got beat it happens to almost every fighter. The hiding is why people keep piling on, she doesn't seem to be a fighter. It looks like she thought she was but she got tested and crumpled. You guys see Rory tweet the day after his war with Lawler, his face was destroyed and he lost but he still said it was the greatest night of his life. If you a fighter you have to wear that shit with pride. The guys I respect you just can't break emotionally, sometimes their body gives out but the person inside stays strong.

The people around her should have pulled her back to earth.

Maybe they tried..Who knows.

But all I can think is how everyone treated her like she's one of a kind.

That being said 1 loss could mean everything and nothing. Time will tell.

darscot

The people around her should have pulled her back to earth.

Maybe they tried..Who knows.

But all I can think is how everyone treated her like she's one of a kind.

That being said 1 loss could mean everything and nothing. Time will tell.

Yeah for sure, why is no one around her telling her she is acting like an idiot, but the pillow down and hold your fucking head up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom