• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 194 + Fight Week |OT| The leprechaun finally gets his gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really excited to see Aldo vs. McGregor. I think Aldo has a greater variety of tools to win the fight, it just remains to see how he uses them to neutralize Conor's striking. I think if he can limit Conor's effectiveness with his strikes he will win.

Just noticed they both bowed to each other at the end.

All that trash talking for a year has to wear thin.

Can't wait to see these fights.

Yeah its pretty damn interesting. They actually showed each other respect.

I think at this point its business now. No more hype. Both kbow this is a very serious fight.

Yaari

God damn, that name. Pfister. Even if your nickname is The Fist, its is still horrible.
How awesome would it be if Sage goes full heel at weighins and shoves this guy all over the place.

God damn, that name. Pfister. Even if your nickname is The Fist, its is still horrible.
How awesome would it be if Sage goes full heel at weighins and shoves this guy all over the place.

Cody the fist fister is a terrible name, its as unimaginative as he is dull but it ends up hilarious sounding

aGSZIkq.png

GFLR5Pv.png
Aldo would eat that front leg for breakfast, lunch and diner with mcgregor in that stance lol. He's always had a large stance but he's never eaten leg kicks of Aldo's caliber, very curious on how he'll deal and how he prepared for those come Saturday.

Aldo would eat that front leg for breakfast, lunch and diner with mcgregor in that stance lol. He's always had a large stance but he's never eaten leg kicks of Aldo's caliber, very curious on how he'll deal and how he prepared for those come Saturday.

McGregor being a Southpaw makes leg kicks very dangerous for Aldo. If he's going to throw them he better be careful and smart about it

Maoyama

Banned
McGregor being a Southpaw makes leg kicks very dangerous for Aldo. If he's going to throw them he better be careful and smart about it

That is not completely true.

It makes Aldo's favorite kick more dangerous (right inside leg kick) but leaves the leading leg more expose to outside kicks. It also lets Aldo off balance Conor and throw his power kick to the BACK leg at a much more dangerous angle.

MjFrancis

I hope Cody gets a good payday out of this because even at -1250, the betting line on Sage Northcutt is still too generous. Should be -2000 lol.

He's always been smart about it setting it up with hands and driving in that leg kick with angles that would make it hard to get tagged by a straight. And those arn't the kind of leg kicks that lets you off unaffected letting you throw punches with a stable enough base to be as dangerous as you make it sound. Conor will be wanting to check those the moment he's tasted one instead of searching for a trade off. Popping a straight before Aldo's has the chance to land it is the key but like I said, aldo is a crafty muay thai fighter.

TxdoHawk

Money must be insanely heavy on Aldo now, this is what the 5dimes odds are at the moment:

TX56KZI.png

Conor was at -140 when I put my wager in.

Thewonandonly

Most excited for court mcgees fight because he is my brothers best freeing. I hang with him all the time and go fishing with him a lot. Really cool guy so wish him luck gaf :)

That is not completely true.

It makes Aldo's favorite kick more dangerous (right inside leg kick) but leaves the leading leg more expose to outside kicks. It also lets Aldo off balance Conor and throw his power kick to the BACK leg at a much more dangerous angle.

He's always been smart about it setting it up with hands and driving in that leg kick with angles that would make it hard to get tagged by a straight. And those arn't the kind of leg kicks that lets you off unaffected letting you throw punches with a stable enough base to be as dangerous as you make it sound. Conor will be wanting to check those the moment he's tasted one instead of searching for a trade off. Popping a straight before Aldo's has the chance to land it is the key but like I said, aldo is a crafty muay thai fighter.

The kicks could easily potentially leave him open to the left cross, one of McGregors favorite and most powerful weapons.

I'm not saying Aldo can't throw them, but if he does he needs to keep the defense tight and high and can't be lazy or off balance about it. He has to be on point. McGregor hits harder than any Featherweight in the division easily while also having a reach advantage.

I really see him as a horrible matchup for Aldo

Money must be insanely heavy on Aldo now, this is what the 5dimes odds are at the moment:

TX56KZI.png

Conor was at -140 when I put my wager in.

Not surprising really. Aldo was the underdog while being the reigning and only champ in Featherweight history. Makes sense a lot of people would jump on him as the underdog at the end here.

Pfister reminds me of the kid in Place Beyond The Pines but I don't think I've ever wanted someone in UFC to get knocked out as much as I do Sage Northcutt.

TxdoHawk

Pfister reminds me of the kid in Place Beyond The Pines but I don't think I've ever wanted someone in UFC to get knocked out as much as I do Sage Northcutt.

I think the only thing resembling a feasible option, given what I've seen from Pfister's fighting, is if he grinds out a decision. But I think he could do it, dude seems to be able to take an absolute beating.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Fuck man, Northcut's physique is insane. Putting in the work since 4 years old has definitely paid off.

The kicks could easily potentially leave him open to the left cross, one of McGregors favorite and most powerful weapons.

I'm not saying Aldo can't throw them, but if he does he needs to keep the defense tight and high and can't be lazy or off balance about it. He has to be on point. McGregor hits harder than any Featherweight in the division easily while also having a reach advantage.

I really see him as a horrible matchup for Aldo

Not surprising really. Aldo was the underdog while being the reigning and only champ in Featherweight history. Makes sense a lot of people would jump on him as the underdog at the end here.
He's never been lazy with them, nor is he the kind to throw them off balance, and certainly not at a distance where a straight could catch him is what I'm saying, why would he start doint that now that he's against his toughest challenge yet? It doesn't make sense.

Here's a bit of reference as to what I mean. If you watch the footage, Aldo has a VERY bad habit with his leg kicks. He often totally lowers his defense. Often to the point of being wide open for a left cross. See here in his fight with Lamas. Watch how he drops the hand each time he throws the kick

53.gif

Lamas never makes him pay for it by continuously backing away.

Contrast that with McGregor who has an insanely powerful left hand and who is a pressure based fighter. Someone who comes foreword on Jose instead of back

conor-mcgregor-56.gif

That is a dangerous thing for Jose. He has to keep his defense on point and cant be be near as lazy as he has been in the past.

He's never been lazy with them, nor is he the kind to throw them off balance, and certainly not at a distance where a straight could catch him is what I'm saying

Thats not true at all. He's open to be countered all the time off of his kicks.

Here's a bit of reference as to what I mean. If you watch the footage, Aldo has a VERY bad habit with his leg kicks. He often totally lowers his defense. Often to the point of being wide ooen for a left cross. See here in his fight with Lamas. Watch how he drops the hand each time he throws the kick

53.gif

Contrast that with McGregor who has an insanely powerful left hand and who is a pressure based fighter. Someone who comes foreword on Jose instead of back

conor-mcgregor-56.gif

That is a dangerous thing for Jose. He has to keep his defense on point and cant be be near as lazy as he has been in the past.

The gif you just shown shows him setting up his kicks, that's not called being lazy with it and it's not called being off balance, it's using momentum from turning your hips and body, it's exactly how it's taught in Muay Thai and even in kickboxing. And trust me, he knows how to protect himself while throwing leg kicks too, he's shown he can do it with a high guard too multiple times during his career. Gif's are simply small figments of fights.
To throw punches, you need a solid base, if Conor wants to throw that straight as you see in the gif, he needs to put weight on his foot. Someone who's never sparred against a solid leg kicker wouldn't understand that and see things as simple as possible, but getting kicked when you have weight on your lead foot hurts like a mother fucker.
I'm not saying he won't be able to time Aldo, I'm saying that aldo isn't lazy, nor is he unbalanced when he throws it. He times it well and almost all of the time sets them up with hands. It's not his first rodeo and he certainly won't be as defenseless as a Diego Brandao.

The gif you just shown shows him setting up his kicks, that's not called being lazy with it and it's not called being off balance, it's using momentum from turning your hips and body, it's exactly how it's taught in Muay Thai.

This is actually one of Jose's and many fighters biggest problems. Is their Muay Thai base. Its very set. Its repetition repetition, repetition. AKA predictable. And its why a lot of guys struggle with McGregor's style. He thrives off of standard Muay Thai and Kickboxing practitioners.

And Jose's defense is lazy. Flat out, he drops his hands constantly on every kick. There is no need for that. He does it to generate excess power in the kick, which is nice and all, but also leaves an opening for your opponent. The only reason he get's away with it so much is that he is excellent at making his opponents back up, thus them not being in position for the counter.

Here's a bit of reference as to what I mean. If you watch the footage, Aldo has a VERY bad habit with his leg kicks. He often totally lowers his defense. Often to the point of being wide ooen for a left cross. See here in his fight with Lamas. Watch how he drops the hand each time he throws the kick

53.gif

conor-mcgregor-56.gif

The gif you just shown shows him setting up his kicks, that's not called being lazy with it and it's not called being off balance, it's using momentum from turning your hips and body, it's exactly how it's taught in Muay Thai and even in kickboxing. And trust me, he knows how to protect himself while throwing leg kicks too, he's shown he can do it with a high guard too multiple times during his career. Gif's are simply small figments of fights.
To throw punches, you need a solid base, if Conor wants to throw that straight as you see in the gif, he needs to put weight on his foot. Someone who's never sparred against a solid leg kicker wouldn't understand that and see things as simple as possible, but getting kicked when you have weight on your lead foot hurts like a mother fucker.
I'm not saying he won't be able to time Aldo, I'm saying that aldo isn't lazy, nor is he unbalanced when he throws it. He times it well and almost all of the time sets them up with hands. It's not his first rodeo and he certainly won't be as defenseless as a Diego Brandao.

lol ok mate. Try doing that when off balance yourself from being kicked in the leg, or when it's being set up with punches coming at you and/or while you're in movement. It's harder than you think.

lol ok mate. Try doing that when off balance yourself from being kicked in the leg, or when it's being set up with punches coming at you and/or while you're in movement. It's harder than you think.

What on earth does me being able to do this have to do with fight analysis?

Here's a hint Greg Jackson, Firas, etc. can't do more than half of the things they teach. Having the ability to do something has exactly zero to do with fight analysis.

Aldo is VERY good at getting his opponents to back up, thats why he gets away with leaving his defense down. No one has made him pay for it. That doesn't mean there isn't a small gap in the armor there. There is. That doesn't guarantee McGregor can capitalize on it, but he is forward pressure based fighter, and he can very much try to capitalize on that.

The winner of this fight will literally come down to who controls the forward pressure.

What on earth does me being able to do this have to do with fight analysis?

Here's a hint Greg Jackson, Firas, etc. can't do more than half of the things they teach. Having the ability to do something has exactly zero to do with fight analysis.

Aldo is VERY good at getting his opponents to back up, thats why he gets away with leaving his defense down. No one has made him pay for it. That doesn't mean there isn't a small gap in the armor there. There is. That doesn't guarantee McGregor can capitalize on it, but he is forward pressure based fighter, and he can very much try to capitalize on that.

The winner of this fight will literally come down to who controls the forward pressure.

Ok first, Firas and Greg have experience and are top trainers, don't compare them to your armchair analytics bullshit. What I'm saying is think for youself one second and use the context of when Mcgregor usually pops that straight to finish opponents. Conor walks them down putting pressure while they back down, usually already mentally broken or tired. It's not the same when fighters are striking back and it is not the same when you're up against a champion with a full training camp.

Aldo's been the reigning champ for years, he went up against a fantastic boxer before in Mark Hominick, he's went up against pressure fighters, wrestlers, jiu jitsu, guys that uses a lot of angles and movement and strong hitters, hell he's a veteran. He knows his shit and as a veteran, he doesn't always have his hands down when he throws kicks, that's bullshit and you know it. And once again, it's certainly not because he's lazy or off balance.

He's also most of the time the one being pressured. He's got great head movement and timing and thrives from counters and explosions, so I'm sure he'll be on the receiving end of Mcgregor's pressure in this fight too, that doesnt mean shit though.

He thrives off of standard Muay Thai and Kickboxing practitioners.

There's a whole difference between what he's been up against so far and what he's up against Aldo. Mcgregor has had a easy road before him compared to what Aldo has seen.

We'll see though, I personally really like Mcgregor's striking, but his stance like many others with large stances have a problem with leg kicks. People also forget how Aldo is damn great on the ground too. In the end all I want to see is a great fight, I don't care about it being one way or another.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/12/who-ya...redict-jose-aldo-vs-conor-mcgregor-at-ufc-194

Over 30 fighters pick the winner of McGregor vs Aldo. Spoiler alert

McGregor the favorite overall, but lots of Aldo picks as well

Ok first, Firas and Greg have experience and are top trainers, don't compare them to your armchair analytics bullshit.

I forgot your armchair analysis is instantly superior to mine. I apologize. Praise be to Baldwin, the one true armchair analysis. Anyone else's is bullshit.

Maybe relax a little bit eh?

Chesskid1

Banned
most of conor's opponents just let him get super comfortable, throwing all his weirdish techniques. i mean from the bell conor opens with some weird kick and his opponent starts backing up, then conor just starts throwing from range while his opponent tries to come up with something to do.

will be really interesting if conor-aldo starts like most conor fights. if aldo starts backing up, gonna be tough for him.

god these fight cards are goinna be so freakin amazing. so many good fights.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Sick, so gonna call into work tomorrow and take the day off. 3 days of UFC in a row not sure if I can handle that, but there are some damn good fights on these cards.

FaceTurn

Just noticed they both bowed to each other at the end.

All that trash talking for a year has to wear thin.

Can't wait to see these fights.

I think Mac has said before the trash talk is just business. I think he does respect his opponents, that's why in the cage he wants to touch gloves. Too many guys take it personally when he's just trying to make more money for everyone involved.

zewone

I think Mac has said before the trash talk is just business. I think he does respect his opponents, that's why in the cage he wants to touch gloves. Too many guys take it personally when he's just trying to make more money for everyone involved.

Definitely. I just found it odd for him to show the respect before they get in the cage.

But then last night on TUF, Aldo and Conor actually shook hands.

TxdoHawk

I think it's all part of the mind games, personally. Rile your opponent up with endless trolling, then throw them off by switching to business mode last minute so they can't effectively channel that anger into the actual fight but are still thinking about it.

Formless

This is actually one of Jose's and many fighters biggest problems. Is their Muay Thai base. Its very set. Its repetition repetition, repetition. AKA predictable. And its why a lot of guys struggle with McGregor's style. He thrives off of standard Muay Thai and Kickboxing practitioners.

And Jose's defense is lazy. Flat out, he drops his hands constantly on every kick. There is no need for that. He does it to generate excess power in the kick, which is nice and all, but also leaves an opening for your opponent. The only reason he get's away with it so much is that he is excellent at making his opponents back up, thus them not being in position for the counter.

I agree a lot of people aren't used to TKD style kicks but calling all of MT repetitive is like saying there's only one boxing style.

A key to kicking is to have your shoulders higher to guard and to take your head off line. Aldo doesn't do that in those gifs admittedly. But he's not throwing just the kick either. You could just as easily complain about McGregor's hands being down while punching.

HiResDes

Edgar might be my favorite fighter currently active but man what a tough matchup, still rooting for him though of course.

wow Sage isn't even flexing yet his bicep is probably more intimidating than most fighter's mean mug face.

His bicep needs a twitter account ASAP.

eXtv

Banned
Edgar might be my favorite fighter currently active but man what a tough matchup, still rooting for him though of course.

Hard fight for Frankie. Small cage, Mendes has insane defensive wrestling and enormous power. Edgar has five rounds to not get caught clean.

Camwi

Hard fight for Frankie. Small cage, Mendes has insane defensive wrestling and enormous power. Edgar has five rounds to not get caught clean.

I dunno, I think Edgar has the edge. The wrestling should cancel each other out, so when it comes to striking Mendes has the power, but Edgar has the speed and is better and popping in and out of the pocket.

eXtv

Banned
I dunno, I think Edgar has the edge. The wrestling should cancel each other out, so when it comes to striking Mendes has the power, but Edgar has the speed and is better and popping in and out of the pocket.

When he can't wrestle people, he looks a lot weaker than when he can. Frankie has high output, but he can be hurt and Chad is a nasty counter-puncher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom