• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they aren't being blown up bigger than what they are. Conor and Ronda had legitimately great and dominant runs. You just have to adjust your expectations. Most MMA fighters, even great ones, aren't going to stay undefeated or unblemished forever. Doing something like what Jon Jones has done, or what Anderson did in his prime, is the exception not the rule. The key with MMA is to milk these guys while they are hot because you never know when they will get Buster Douglas'd.

And even Jones will lose one day. This is MMA. Its impossible to stay undefeated if you fight for enough time

Can't wait for Bones to come back.

LO3UGZZ.gif

manfestival

McGregor needed to lose to RDA and not to Diaz. This is truly disappointing. However, on this day Diaz has made a ton of new fans. It's a shame though... since he won't be going anywhere in his division.

Macattk15

I like watching Mighty Mouse do his thing.

Cool guy too, a gamer that streams all the time. He's one of us.

No doubt I like him too ... I have watched him play CS:GO and a bit of Destiny as well on Twitch.

I just never get excited for those fights though .... mainly because I don't think anyone will beat MM.

ironcreed

Banned
But they aren't being blown up bigger than what they are. Conor and Ronda had legitimately great and dominant runs. You just have to adjust your expectations. Most MMA fighters, even great ones, aren't going to stay undefeated or unblemished forever. Doing something like what Jon Jones has done, or what Anderson did in his prime, is the exception not the rule. The key with MMA is to milk these guys while they are hot because you never know when they will get Buster Douglas'd.

I don't agree that Conor or Ronda are as great as what they have been billed to be. They both have these larger than life personas, but there are fighters on the roster that don't get anywhere near the attention that are better fighters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the antics and spectacle. But I also love to see them get brought back down to Earth. It always happens. And Conor really needed it because he was getting way too fucking arrogant for his own good.

I'm fully expecting GSP vs. Lawler at UFC 200. The only reason it wasn't announced yet is probably because McGregor would have faced one of those two had he won tonight.

I don't feel good about a guy who has already admitted to having blackouts and not remembering shit going up against Robbie Fucking Lawler.

Macattk15

The whole RDA / Conor thing .... Conor may have had a better shot against RDA ...

155 isn't 170 .... probably a big difference in jumping from 145 to 170 ....

I still want to see the RDA fight happen.

I don't agree that Conor or Ronda are as great as what they have been billed to be. They both have these larger than life personas, but there are fighters on the roster that don't get anywhere near the attention that are better fighters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the antics and spectacle. But I also love to see them get brought back down to Earth. It always happens. And Conor really needed it because was getting way too fucking arrogant for his own good.

McGregor isn't just antics. He is a legitimately great fighter. He deserved every ounce of hype he was getting. The thing people have to get out of their heads, especially in MMA, is that as soon as someone good or great loses it means they are frauds or exposed. People lose in MMA. That's the nature of the sport.

I don't feel good about a guy who has already admitted to having blackouts and not remembering shit going up against Robbie Fucking Lawler.

Hey, I'm not saying it's a great idea, I just fully expect it. It's either that or they do a Condit rematch, because like hell they're giving Woodley a championship shot after sitting out for a year and a half.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Dana is probably on legit suicide watch. Holm and McGregor both losing in one night. Good LORD

all it is is a blemish on his record, he still is the champ. This is like the champion loosing in a countout in wwe, he lost but remains champion

Midn1ght

NfGClsX.jpg

What a great win for Nate and respect for Conor for taking any challenge without fear. That left hand he has is something else but man Nate is strong and he delivered a superb performance.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
McGregor doesn't deserve RDA. Needs to defend his belt.
If Conor is smart, he'll defend the belt 1 more time, possibly against Aldo. Provided he wins again, his best bet is to drop it and make a run at 155. Course I'm talking out of my ass and fantasy booking though.

The whole RDA / Conor thing .... Conor may have had a better shot against RDA ...

155 isn't 170 .... probably a big difference in jumping from 145 to 170 ....

I still want to see the RDA fight happen.

Nate doesn't look to take people down though, RDA will often.

And when he gets it there, it's going to be ugly.

I guess with McGregor's knockout power, he could finish him on the feet but RDA seems to believe he can run through a brickwall nowadays.

Petis' kicks to his head/neck just pissed him off.

McGregor needs to just focus all attention right now on fighting smarter and cleaning up the holes in his ground game. The blueprint is already out there for how to come back from a huge loss, see GSP

ironcreed

Banned
McGregor isn't just antics. He is a legitimately great fighter. He deserved every ounce of hype he was getting. The thing people have to get out of their heads, especially in MMA, is that as soon as someone good or great loses it means they are frauds or exposed. People lose in MMA. That's the nature of the sport.

Oh, I know he is great. But he sure as shit is not the best or greatest and larger than life, as he has been billed to be. Neither is Ronda.

They get blown up so big because it makes money. Then somebody that nobody thinks has a real chance comes along who is actually a better fighter and beats their ass. That is just the way it goes.

Demise

the UFC has created a cycle where the stars get shot to the moon, used up, and burn out. The fans are used to it. If anything, the idea that "anybody can lose at any time" probably adds more intrigue and appeal.

A chin is a chin though, no muscles or anything size related involved. You take one hit under the jaw at the wrong angle, you eat the ground regardless of anything else. Nate just seems to have an iron jaw + bad angled punches from conor.

What really made a difference here is experience. Nate is used to take beating from stronger guys than conor and conor may know ground-game in theory, he never really experienced it in the cage.

Conor is entertaining but really overrated, as many ufc fighters. You can't keep a win streak without being good at every basics in mma. Punch and stand game is 2/5 of mma. He has great potential but he has to get more experience, his loss today was pretty random.

Macattk15

Nate doesn't look to take people down though, RDA will often.

And when he gets it there, it's going to be ugly.

I guess with McGregor's knockout power, he could finish him on the feet but RDA seems to believe he can run through a brickwall nowadays.

Petis' kicks to his head/neck just pissed him off.

Oh I definitely still think Conor loses ... but I would not be surprised to see him knock RDA out either.

bbd23

such a fun night. great to see tate finally get that big victory. love nate and conor and props to conor for trying to move up and taking a fight like this

197 looks fucking amazing too. time for jones to get that belt back

Oscar

Some of y'all dismissing Conor's power forget Nate has a granite chin. His only TKO loss was initiated by a clean shin to the temple. He's durable as fuck.

War Diaz

Conor and Ronda are both fighters who are very, very strong in a particular aspect of the game (Conor with striking, Ronda with grappling) and very weak in another aspect (Conor with grappling, Ronda with striking). From that perspective, they are absolutely comparable.

Jones has none of those issues. He can grapple with the best (he manhandled DC like no one else could even come close to doing) and outstrike anyone. The only thing that can stop Jones is a potential move to heavyweight.

I could have worded that better - but yes they are comparable in that regard. I guess I just take issue with people lumping them together because they're both arrogant or talk-trash. Agree on Jones being a badass.

Don't get me wrong, I love the antics and spectacle. But I also love to see them get brought back down to Earth. It always happens. And Conor really needed it because he was getting way too fucking arrogant for his own good.

There's absolutely no hype with Conor - he beat the #1 P4P in 13 seconds (his first loss in a decade). Nothing will erase that. He lost to a great fighter two weight classes above his own, in a move that he sought out and encouraged others to follow. Ronda is not in the same universe in terms of caliber of fighter beaten, and she did NOT want to move up to challenge Cyborg. No one is better than Conor at 145, and he didn't get "exposed' tonight per se. Ronda did - she showed absolutely no striking aptitude after being hyped summarily as dropping "world champion boxers in the gym daily" and being a "once-ever" fighter. McGregor did NOT have that same disparity between hype and actual skill and achievements. I would also submit that Conor is the one with the persona; Ronda's is much less likable, and she's not in the same league in terms of how articulate she is - it was mostly blunt, blatant UFC hype.

His resume isn't nearly that of other fighters though.

He(with a lot of help from Dana) propped himself up to being the face or one of the faces of the whole sport.

He's a very skilled tactician with a lot of power but he has obvious holes in his ground game and this was bound to happen sooner or later.

He'll bounce back though and be better for it but this is what happens when you prematurely crown someone as "THE shit".

The crazy thing about all this is how much better it makes Jones look. He had his adversity/challenge moment against Vitor and probably should have tapped in that fight, but he just ran through it and then beat Vitor with one arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom