• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Milo

AIfdmSH.png

All of my hype.

he would of got folded quick with those lefts Conor was throwing tonight

Really what tonight boils down to is that Conor just massively underestimated the difference between 170 and 145. He landed his killer left hook multiple times and Nate just ate it. Any 145er would have been sleeping before the fight left the first round. And Conor let himself get hit way, way too much because he thought having an iron chin at 145 meant he'd have an iron chin at 170, which is absolutely not the case as we saw.

Real fighters are exposing those who are better at being celebrities. No complaints from me, but I do enjoy Conor.

the UFC has created a cycle where the stars get shot to the moon, used up, and burn out. The fans are used to it. If anything, the idea that "anybody can lose at any time" probably adds more intrigue and appeal.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's the story with that ninja shit...shit?

ShogunX

I don't know that Conor losing is a huge deal. In the end it was a short notice fight two weight classes above his usual class. It's not going to cost him business, he'll be back at featherweight to fight whoever and his personality will continue to draw people. They'll line him up with Aldo or Edgar and this will be forgotten once he wins. Eventually they'll set up a rematch at lightweight for more big money.

It's not a huge deal at all. People are acting the way they do because of the hype behind McGregor and everybody loves an upset.

In reality McGregor still holds the belt and has a couple of very interesting fights still to come. He'll be back talking shit in no time hyping up his next fight and everybody will tune in all over again.

SRTtoZ

Lets be honest, this is what happens when instead of training cardio you're in the park playing touch butt with a pal.

nib95

Banned
Really what tonight boils down to is that Conor just massively underestimated the difference between 170 and 145. He landed his killer left hook multiple times and Nate just ate it. Any 145er would have been sleeping before the fight left the first round. And Conor let himself get hit way, way too much because he thought having an iron chin at 145 meant he'd have an iron chin at 170, which is absolutely not the case as we saw.

Absolutely agree with this.

Zeliard

I don't know that Conor losing is a huge deal. In the end it was a short notice fight two weight classes above his usual class. It's not going to cost him business, he'll be back at featherweight to fight whoever and his personality will continue to draw people. They'll line him up with Aldo or Edgar and this will be forgotten once he wins. Eventually they'll set up a rematch at lightweight for more big money.

He could still fight RDA next at UFC 200. Conor's almost certain to headline the show despite the loss, and it's possible he'll push for the RDA fight so he can still go for the two titles and try to erase memories of the Diaz fight.

145 is a very hard cut for him, and I think his intention was to beat RDA to call himself a two-divison UFC champ and then immediately vacate the 145 belt. Dunno that he is willing to do the cut anymore, but we'll see.

Instro

People like Conor and Ronda losing are bad for the UFC, they need these stars that can attract mainstream casual viewers.

You don't need a perfect record to be a superstar. You need to win sure, but personality is the biggest thing. A loss here and there allows for rematches that are usually even bigger draws. In fact, UFC's PPV buy rates and top events are proof of this.

People like Conor and Ronda losing are bad for the UFC, they need these stars that can attract mainstream casual viewers.

They will get far more mainstream viewers from the fall of Rousey and McGregor than their rise.

Stars are made so people pop for the defeat.

MMA is too unpredictable to rely on win streaks. It's why it's so popular.

If anything tonight just reaffirms MMA as one of the most exciting, can't miss sports in the world. No-one could stop talking about Ronda Rousey getting beat, that's a great thing for the sport.

They need to retain the casual fans to grow, nights like this do that.

Holm vs Tate II is money.
Holm vs Rousey II is money
Rousey vs Tate III is money.
McGregor vs anyone is money.

Chesskid1

Banned
conor rematch with aldo or vs edgar is alot more interesting to me now

if conor had a hella good run and things worked out perfectly for him to get there

or if he will destroy aldo/edgar, guys in his actual weight class

conor business is still damn good, unless he keeps losing over and over

So boring watching little gnats with no power run around the ring for 25 minutes.

Though he is undoubtedly the kind of the gnats.

He is arguably p4p #1. Super nice guy, well-spoken. Came from humble beginnings. Has one of the most awesome coach-fighter relationships going with a genius in Hume. Very skilled in all aspects of the game, and always looking to improve. Goes home to play video games and hang out with his wife otherwise.

Really is one of my very favorites; it's a shame that the attitude in this post prevails. Honestly, it's mostly because he doesn't trash-talk more, not so much the size imo.

Well that was interesting. So who is there next? All the interesting people have been knocked off their ladders. Who is there for us casuals to cheer for now?

Turin

Banned
Edit: I can't believe I'm defending Floyd.

Yea it was 152, but it was still at a CW, which was my point, so that's not being up to my ears in bullshit. Misremembering a single detail, lol. I don't think you understand the meaning of words.

It's actually you who seems to be completely ignorant about boxing. How much time one has to take the weight off means nothing. Canelo had already been unable to fight at below 154, missing the weight in previous weights, that's how difficult it was. It was well known Canelo could not make that weight anymore, not without really killing himself. And Canelo did need to a chair beside him for weigh in, due to how drained he was.

Why did Floyd ask for the CW? To drain him. That's just a cold blooded fact. This has nothing to do with Floyd has a person. Educate yourself on boxing and catchweights.

Floyd-Alvarez weigh in

Where's the chair, bud? You mean the one Floyd's sitting on?

I've been following boxing for years(and train myself). He's a big guy but there was never any talk about him struggling to make 154. He still fights at 155 even though he's the middleweight champion and he's currently trying to drain GGG down for a superfight with him. He himself brought up 152 to lure Floyd into a fight with him and it worked becuase Floyd took the fight.

I've seen fights where guys are fucked by a weight cut(Delahoya-Pacquiao) and where they do it right(Hopkins-Delahoya). Canelo did it right and he fought well. Floyd was the better man that night.

-MD-

conor rematch with aldo or vs edgar is alot more interesting to me now

if conor had a hella good run and things worked out perfectly for him to get there

or if he will destroy aldo/edgar, guys in his actual weight class

conor business is still damn good, unless he keeps losing over and over

Conor's actual weight class is 155, he damn near kills himself to cut to 145 and he has height and reach on everyone because of it.

Jones is pretty much the GOAT already. He is complete skill-wise and physically on another level. He has also grown into his heel persona nicely. That said, DC is still a very dangerous fight imo.

Conor and Ronda can not really be compared - for a lot of reasons. Conor is a much, much better trash-talker. He always speaks humbly of his opponents right after the fight. He also has beaten much, much better competition. Nothing Ronda will ever do will touch beating the arguable p4p #1 in 13 seconds for his first loss in a decade.

Conor and Ronda are both fighters who are very, very strong in a particular aspect of the game (Conor with striking, Ronda with grappling) and very weak in another aspect (Conor with grappling, Ronda with striking). From that perspective, they are absolutely comparable.

Jones has none of those issues. He can grapple with the best (he manhandled DC like no one else could even come close to doing) and outstrike anyone. The only thing that can stop Jones is a potential move to heavyweight.

ironcreed

Banned
the UFC has created a cycle where the stars get shot to the moon, used up, and burn out. The fans are used to it. If anything, the idea that "anybody can lose at any time" probably adds more intrigue and appeal.

I just hate seeing certain fighters get blown up to be bigger than what they really are. Especially when they become so arrogant that they start to stink. As some hard ass, more well-rounded fighter who has been around he block like Nate Diaz comes along and crumbles the image back down to reality. But yeah, it's always fun to see when it happens and is good for business.

It's so funny watching fights at bars. It's just a sea of dude bros acting like they just beat somebody up themselves. It's both hilarious and sad at the same time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
People don't like Mighty Mouse because he and his division is boring as shit. Nothing more, nothing less. Even if he had a mouth like Connor, nobody is going to care about 125 lb men running around the cage for 25 minutes.

Heel

He could still fight RDA next at UFC 200. Conor's almost certain to headline the show despite the loss, and it's possible he'll push for the RDA fight so he can still go for the two titles and try to erase memories of the Diaz fight.

145 is a very hard cut for him, and I think his intention was to beat RDA to call himself a two-divison UFC champ and then immediately vacate the 145 belt. Dunno that he is willing to do the cut anymore, but we'll see.

As the clairvoyant dream pointed out to me earlier tonight, it's likely UFC 200: GSP vs. McGregor just got erased.

A win is a win. If Canelo agreed to the fight under those terms you can't then go making excuses after the fact. That's weak bullshit. Floyd didn't "drain him". You act like he secretly knocked Canelo out and put him in a sauna before the fight or something, or surprised him with the catchweight the day before the fight. Lots of things, like glove size, go through negotiations before a fight and BOTH sides agree. Bringing one of those things up as an excuse after the fact is weak as fuck. Canelo is no stranger to weight cutting he's used it to his advantage plenty of times.

Again you are saying things that either no one is disagreeing with, like Canelo agreed to the fight.

LOLOL, it's not an excuse, which is what you don't understand. Fanboys always get so worked up and personal, and act like they need to be a personal spokesmen for their idols. They always make it combative.

You can curse all you want, but its a FACT Floyd weight drained Canelo. That's just what it's literally called when you force a CW that forces your opponent to drop from their natural weight.

That's just basic boxing terminology. It's been used for decades literally. I am sorry you do not know this, and bizzarely find it offensive. It's not an excuse, it's just a literal and factual telling of actual events. Floyd drained Canelo.

Floyd has always been an expert cherry picker. Taking two retirements, to duck fighters he knew could defeat him. And even his final run, littered with many soft opponents. Absolutely the worst boxing champ. Not just as a person.

I just hate seeing certain fighters get blown up to be bigger than what they really are. Especially when they become so arrogant that they start to stink. As some hard ass, more well-rounded fighter who has been around he block like Nate Diaz comes along and crumbles the image back down to reality. But yeah, it's always fun to see when it happens and is good for business.

But they aren't being blown up bigger than what they are. Conor and Ronda had legitimately great and dominant runs. You just have to adjust your expectations. Most MMA fighters, even great ones, aren't going to stay undefeated or unblemished forever. Doing something like what Jon Jones has done, or what Anderson did in his prime, is the exception not the rule. The key with MMA is to milk these guys while they are hot because you never know when they will get Buster Douglas'd.

Instro

I agree on the weight cut, but would RDA even be ready by UFC 200? Whats the recovery time on a broken foot?

Connor will not lose any of his star power because of this loss. It was really a win-win scenario for him. He lost but it was 25lbs out of his weight class. He still has the 145lb belt, and probably won't lose it anytime in the next 5 years.

Conner wont be able to make 145 for 5 years, he maybe has 2 fights left at 145 imo... And your crazy if you think this doesnt affect his starpower, "hey come see our champ at 145, hes coming off a loss to a pot head who had 11 days notice plus media obligations" is alot less attractive then the oracle he was being marketed as.

Again you are saying things that either no one is disagreeing with, like Canelo agreed to the fight.

LOLOL, it's not an excuse, which is what you don't understand. Fanboys always get so worked up and personal, and act like they need to be a personal spokesmen for their idols. They always make it combative.

You can curse all you want, but its a FACT Floyd weight drained Canelo. That's just what it's literally called when you force a CW that forces your opponent to drop from their natural weight.

That's just basic boxing terminology. It's been used for decades literally. I am sorry you do not know this, but that's not really a good excuse to get worked up. It's not an excuse, it's just a literal and factual telling of actual events. Floyd drained Canelo.

Floyd has always been an expert cherry picker. Taking two retirements, to duck fighters he knew could defeat him. And even his final run, littered with many soft opponents. Absolutely the worst boxing champ. Not just as a person.

Force intimates that Canelo didn't have a choice. He did. If he did it for the money that's his fault, not something Floyd did wrong. And again, Canelo has used weight cutting to his advantage plenty of times over the course of his career to be the naturally bigger/stronger guy on fight night. This was just a night where it didn't work. Take your regurgitated Floyd arguments somewhere else already. People like you have been spouting the same old shit for like 10 years and it doesn't make it anymore true, no matter how hard you try.

-MD-

Well that was interesting. So who is there next? All the interesting people have been knocked off their ladders. Who is there for us casuals to cheer for now?

You get to cheer for who you find exciting to watch rather than who is most popular.

McGregor doesn't deserve RDA. Needs to defend his belt.

Makes zero sense gifting him a title shot at 155 after a loss, I agree. Defend your shit or vacate and fight someone at 155.

I think people really underestimate the amount of people who follow certain fighters because of how well they do, and how quickly those "fans" are to not care about those guys anymore when they lose. Sure, Conor will always draw to an extent and will still probably draw more than pretty much everyone else, but you'd have to be dense to think he'll still draw at the level that he did prior to tonight going forward.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Connor will not lose any of his star power because of this loss. It was really a win-win scenario for him. He lost but it was 25lbs out of his weight class. He still has the 145lb belt, and probably won't lose it anytime in the next 5 years.

That's how it's going to get spun, but it was basically LW fight without anyone cutting weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom