• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Sage, Paige, Honda, Connor, Holly all taken out the last few months. The train has left the building.

The train has gone off the rails and crashed and burned and exploded. The only dominant guy left for the UFC to get behind is one of the most boneheaded guys on the roster. Lucky for them he's not losing anytime soon, because unlike Conor and Ronda he's a complete MMA fighter with essentially no weaknesses other than himself.

He was hurt and Nate was pouring it on. Conor looked great until Nate popped his ass and got his boxing going. Then it was over. He tried a take down to prevent from getting hit, but that was an even bigger mistake. Nate had his ass either way and it was plain as fucking day.

Goes to show who a real well rounded fighter is...

STOCKTON MOTHERFUCKERS!

BadAss2961

Nate hurt him bad standing and was landing at will (he was even throwing and landing some Stockton slaps for the hell of it) Conor tried a takedown out of desperation to try and survive.

It took Nate a little while to get the timing down but once he did it took very little time for him to get to Mcgregors chin.

Diaz did outbox him. I swear some you guys would judge a 12 round boxing match based on the first two rounds. It takes time for a better boxer to adjust to a lesser but faster one, and how you adapt and make adjustments during the fight is a huge part of the game.
Truth right here.

And on a side note, Canelo had nothing for Floyd. Couldn't do shit. Forget the weight. Let it go.

Instro

Dana is probably on legit suicide watch. Holm and McGregor both losing in one night. Good LORD

I don't know that Conor losing is a huge deal. In the end it was a short notice fight two weight classes above his usual class. It's not going to cost him business, he'll be back at featherweight to fight whoever and his personality will continue to draw people. They'll line him up with Aldo or Edgar and this will be forgotten once he wins. Eventually they'll set up a rematch at lightweight for more big money.

mellow

yeah, i know nate has a good chin on him regardless but i kept hearing from mma personalities like joe rogan on how mcgregor's power would definitely carry over as he went up in weight and that clearly wasn't the case, mcgregor was catching him flush with a lot of shots and nate took what he had, i haven't seen the fightmetric stats yet but it seemed like nate hit him with far fewer shots in the second but wobbled him a couple of times, the guy isn't known for his KO power. Conor shooting for the TD and losing by sub is less damaging for him that getting knocked out by Nate.

i hope aldo gets his rematch now

The Beard

Sage, Paige, Honda, Connor, Holly all taken out the last few months. The train has left the building.

Connor will not lose any of his star power because of this loss. It was really a win-win scenario for him. He lost but it was 25lbs out of his weight class. He still has the 145lb belt, and probably won't lose it anytime in the next 5 years.

nib95

Banned
Nate hurt him bad standing and was landing at will (he was even throwing and landing some Stockton slaps for the hell of it) Conor tried a takedown out of desperation to try and survive.

It took Nate a little while to get the timing down but once he did it took very little time for him to get to Mcgregors chin.

Diaz did outbox him. I swear some you guys would judge a 12 round boxing match based on the first two rounds. It takes time for a better boxer to adjust to a lesser but faster one, and how you adapt and make adjustments during the fight is a huge part of the game.

That's the thing, he didn't adapt or make any adjustments. He threw a heavy blow which was fairly telegraphic in nature and should have been at the very least guarded against. Instead Conor thought he could just mosey around bobbing and weaving lazily, and got rightfully shook. Hopefully from now on he actually learns to guard and defend properly, because his counter and offence game looked on point, it's just the defence that is lacking.

Sea level Cain will save the UFC

giphy.gif

Canelo shouldn't have agreed to the catchweight if he didn't think he could cut and remain effective. How is that Floyd's problem? Even Canelo didn't use that shit as an excuse. FOH.

LOL. What does what Canelo should've or should not have done have to do with anything? It was a lot of money.

I don't know how to respond to how is that Floyd's problem? A bit too vague and open ended to mean anything.

The question is the legitimacy of the win. And how impressive what Floyd did is compared to UFC. Draining a fighter who can't make a certain weight makes the win, not a good one. Pretty much any boxing fan agrees with this. If Floyd had run the gamut like one has to in UFC, he woulda been plenty whooped.

Wrong, Canelo said he was weight drained, on multiple occasions. Like I said, he couldn't even stand up during the weigh in. He was dead.

This is why I love MMA/UFC as someone relatively new to the sport (within the last 3-4 years). Like no other sport anyone can lose on any given night and it happens a lot.

I really like Holly, but I'm glad Miesha finally got to hold the belt as I enjoy her as a fighter as well. McGregor vs. Diaz played out exactly how I hoped it would. That will definitely bring McGregor back down to earth a bit.

People saying these losses hurt UFC don't really understand UFC.

I think in most cases this is true, but not this one. Holly losing takes away the potential biggest fight ever with Ronda. Sure, you can do Ronda vs. Tate and then Ronda vs. Holm again if Ronda wins, but neither of those fights are near as big as the Ronda/Holm fight would be in Holm never lost. And with a guy like McGregor, as great of a talker as he was, the fact is that a lot of the people buying his fights (not all, but a lot) were frontrunners and won't care about him now that he lost. Hell, compare how many people were cheering him before the fight to how many were booing him after it. There's no way to spin this night into anything but a bad thing for the UFC going forward. For tonight? It's great. For down the line? A lot of money was lost tonight.

LOL. What does what Canelo should've or should not have done have to do with anything? It was a lot of money.

I don't know how to respond to how is that Floyd's problem? A bit too vague and open ended to mean anything.

The question is the legitimacy of the win. And how impressive what Floyd did is compared to UFC. Draining a fighter who can't make a certain weight makes the win, not a good one. Pretty much any boxing fan agrees with this. If Floyd had run the gamut like one has to in UFC, he woulda been plenty whooped.

Wrong, Canelo said he was weight drained, on multiple occasions. Like I said, he couldn't even stand up during the weigh in. He was dead.

A win is a win. If Canelo agreed to the fight under those terms you can't then go making excuses after the fact. That's weak bullshit. Floyd didn't "drain him". You act like he secretly knocked Canelo out and put him in a sauna before the fight or something, or surprised him with the catchweight the day before the fight. Lots of things, like glove size, go through negotiations before a fight and BOTH sides agree. Bringing one of those things up as an excuse after the fact is weak as fuck. Canelo is no stranger to weight cutting he's used it to his advantage plenty of times.

The train has gone off the rails and crashed and burned and exploded. The only dominant guy left for the UFC to get behind is one of the most boneheaded guys on the roster. Lucky for them he's not losing anytime soon, because unlike Conor and Ronda he's a complete MMA fighter with essentially no weaknesses other than himself.

Jones is pretty much the GOAT already. He is complete skill-wise and physically on another level. He has also grown into his heel persona nicely. That said, DC is still a very dangerous fight imo.

Conor and Ronda can not really be compared - for a lot of reasons. Conor is a much, much better trash-talker. He always speaks humbly of his opponents right after the fight. He also has beaten much, much better competition. Nothing Ronda will ever do will touch beating the arguable p4p #1 in 13 seconds for his first loss in a decade.

I don't think Conor stays at 145 for very long, if he does go back there. I can't squeeze down that much for much longer. 155 is where he should try to make his home.

Good thing about UFC, it probably won't be very long until we see his next fight. What a night of upsets.

Eh McGregor will still be a big draw. Especially if he learns from this and fights better. GSP became a bigger draw and sold more PPVs AFTER his KO loss to Matt Sera. Its all about how he bounces back

3N16MA

Banned
I would have to think Conor lost some star power after this. He might have fought at 170 but he did not fight a legit WW. This puts a stop to his plans of fighting Lawler at UFC 200 or challenging anyone at 170. He is still a force at 145 and could make a move to 155 like originally planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom