• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn Conor got lit up a bit in this. Well done to Diaz though, played it very well. Did not think Conor would leave his hands that low at bigger weights. I think he needed this fight personally. He needed a reality check and he got it. It will teach him a lot. He did say in an interview about Ronda that all good champions need to be able to take a loss and bounce back stronger. It's a funny position for him because he no longer has any hope at 170. Although he looked healthier he also gassed a lot quicker, and didn't seem to have that spark about him. He could not play that same fight with Lawler or he would have been out cold in the first. 145/155 is his home.

Also, Aldo calling him a pussy is retarded considering he put up a status saying he would fight him anytime anywhere, then two weeks later rejects a fight with him. It's a tough one though tbh, 145 is a dangerous cut for him, but its where he's best. 155 could be a sweet spot but is obviously a lot tougher. This fight will make him a better fighter though. No more standing with his hands down. No taking hits and saying nope to them. Hopefully no more taking down BJJ black belts.

I did say though either Conor would KO him or Nate would submit him. Won me 210 euro off it. I fucking love MMA though. Things like this happening just make it amazing.

BadAss2961

I don't agree that Conor or Ronda are as great as what they have been billed to be. They both have these larger than life personas, but there are fighters on the roster that don't get anywhere near the attention that are better fighters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the antics and spectacle. But I also love to see them get brought back down to Earth. It always happens. And Conor really needed it because he was getting way too fucking arrogant for his own good.
Conor knows the game. He just milked the persona for all its worth, and will continue to do it.

Ronda really thought she was unbeatable.
McGregor needs to just focus all attention right now on fighting smarter and cleaning up the holes in his ground game. The blueprint is already out there for how to come back from a huge loss, see GSP

He is who he is. Damn good, but he's not suddenly going to become a world class wrestlefucker.

Ccmvfi6UsAAn3pB.jpg

BadAss2961

Dana just said that Ronda wasn't watching the fight. But when he told her Holly got choked out, Ronda replied time to "go back to work."

lol

Instro

Conner wont be able to make 145 for 5 years, he maybe has 2 fights left at 145 imo... And your crazy if you think this doesnt affect his starpower, "hey come see our champ at 145, hes coming off a loss to a pot head who had 11 days notice plus media obligations" is alot less attractive then the oracle he was being marketed as.

I don't think it matters once the trash talking starts, if anything that's an even easier sell. His next opponent will likely be at UFC 200, and it will be RDA, Edgar, or Aldo. All are easy sells. He wins there, the money and hype train continues. He loses, he still has the personality to be a draw.

He is who he is. Damn good, but he's not suddenly going to become a world class wrestlefucker.

He can certainly improve. After GSP was KOd by Sera he got MOUNTAINS of disdain. People saying he was overhyped etc. etc. He went on to be undefeated after that, retire with the title, and one of the most dominant Champs in history.

Now McGregor may not have that type of bounce back in him. Or he might. Too early to say.

Khabib beat RDA which means he is better than everyone.

On a serious note he would have beaten Conor if given the chance.

Would love to see RDA and Khabib again.

Khabib is no joke but RDA's on a streak.

I'd give the edge to Khabib but I think it'd play out differently than the first fight.

Rur0ni

Some of y'all dismissing Conor's power forget Nate has a granite chin. His only TKO loss was initiated by a clean shin to the temple. He's durable as fuck.

War Diaz
Agree. That was a very clean shot by Thompson, would have clean KO'd most men unlike the TKO of Diaz.

Also, the Holm vs Tate fight was a great fight, my favorite of the night. Tate was very cautious, calculating, and scrappy when necessary. Still Holm outmuscled her most of the time by being taller and stronger. Experience and grit won out there.

McGregor vs Diaz was good too. McGregor really had some power in his hands, and was looking to close the gap and finish the fight early (because he didn't really have any other choice). Diaz was still landing throughout however, and using his reach, then eventually landed the right combo and poured it on.

Kicking myself a bit for not betting on this, and it was a good payout for a parlay.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
He can certainly improve. After GSP was KOd by Sera he got MOUNTAINS of disdain. People saying he was overhyped etc. etc. He went on to be undefeated after that, retire with the title, and one of the most dominant Champs in history.

Now McGregor may not have that type of bounce back in him. Or he might. Too early to say.

Conor can train all he wants, he's not going to develop a ground game that can deal with people like RdA.

dream

Yeah, GSP bounced back by laying on people and never taking another chance again. Can't see Conor doing that.

I loved all the slaps Nate did during the fight, even when his eye was getting cut open

I know it might be stupid but when he had Conor right where he wanted him, he slapped him a few times instead of continuing the barrage.

That's probably expected but it was still pretty cool.

You could kind of tell when Nate caught him the first time and Conor made that shoulder gesture that this was a different ballgame than the Mendes fight.

Conor looked hurt AND gassed to me.

Conor can train all he wants, he's not going to develop a ground game that can deal with people like RdA.

He might not need to. Just because McGregor loses one fight doesn't mean he will suddenly never beat a top opponent again. Its entirely possible some of the punches he hit Diaz with tonight would have hurt RDA. Still would pick RDA if they fought but its far too early for people to be writing Conor off because he lost once.

Ronda is going to have to put her burgeoning movie career on hold to get her belt back. The straight to Netflix Roadhouse reboot will have to wait.

I think people forget that GSP got caught in the Serra fight. It's not like there was some hole in his game that Serra exposed. He essentially won on a puncher's chance. That's why GSP was able to come back and dominate forever, because he was never really a worse fighter in any aspect than the guy he lost to.

My point is that people really need to stop using GSP as a comparison here, or with Ronda for that matter. It's not really the same situation.

Eanan

Now for an actual intellectual post between all the shitposting, circlejerking and nerding out of all the armchair fans.

A sad night.

Firstly, as a fan I'll say well done to Nate Diaz. If you were to pick one fighter in the UFC who deserves a big night like that then it would be hard to look past him (or his brother Nick for that matter).

Secondly, while it's obviously gutting for those of us who are McGregor fans, it's probably worth taking stock. Conor's style of promotion etc means it's fair game after the defeat to have a go at him (and I'm sure he's more than expecting it himself and obviously well able to handle it) but there has been people on here, in the real world, media, fellow fighters and more who have been lining up since 2013 to fire their bullets so it has been a long time coming for them.

Thirdly, if you want to be a great in this sport you're going to taste defeat at some point. It's just a fact. You will lose at least once in the UFC if you become known as a great. Anderson Silva has 3 UFC losses on his record and will go down as the greatest ever. Demetrious Johnson has a loss on his record but has since won 9 on the bounce and is arguably the P4P #1 at the moment. GSP lost his belt to Matt Serra and subsequently won 12 on the bounce, while he also tasted defeat to Matt Hughes previous to the Serra bout. The record books will also show that Jon Jones has an L on his record however ridiculous, but he has bounced back and won 12 on the spin. Jose Aldo was obviously put away by Conor in 13 seconds. All absolute, undeniable legends of the sport. The list goes on and there's one common denominator - they all have at least 1 UFC loss on their records.

I've been guilty of it myself in the past (especially when it came to Rousey v Holm), but there really is no such thing as a certainty in this sport and that's why it's one of the best in the world.

IMO Conor should be applauded for having the balls to take a fight 2 weight classes above his own and against a new opponent on a week's notice. It didn't end well but it's refreshing. There's very, very few other fighters in the organisation that would do the same.

The most interesting thing is how McGregor comes back from this adversity. Lets not forget he has already tasted defeated in his career and bounced back so this is nothing new to him (albeit on a lesser scale). All I know for sure is that I'm proud to have him representing our country in this sport and will be aiming to be there to support him the next time he makes that walk.

Demise

There's absolutely no hype with Conor - he beat the #1 P4P in 13 seconds (his first loss in a decade). Nothing will erase that. He lost to a great fighter two weight classes above his own, in a move that he sought out and encouraged others to follow. Ronda is not in the same universe in terms of caliber of fighter beaten, and she did NOT want to move up to challenge Cyborg. No one is better than Conor at 145, and he didn't get "exposed' tonight per se. Ronda did - she showed absolutely no striking aptitude after being hyped summarily as dropping "world champion boxers in the gym daily" and being a "once-ever" fighter. McGregor did NOT have that same disparity between hype and actual skill and achievements. I would also submit that Conor is the one with the persona; Ronda's is much less likable, and she's not in the same league in terms of how articulate she is - it was mostly blunt, blatant UFC hype.

Yep, totally agree on this. Conor is very smart for a mma fighter, while Ronda may be one of the dumbest of the 2015 bunch. There is no way Conor won't learn from this match, ronda just quit at first loss... Wich is not something a champion would do.

Plus, she really thought she was unbeatable while any average ufc middle weight guy could give her the thoughest fight of her life. Conor know he can't take anyone.

Anyone surprised Nate took those shots without staggering???

I know the Diaz brothers have chins of steel but I guess the chin doesn't get flabby like the rest of the body.

dream

I don't think there's anything for Conor to learn from this, other than maybe jiu-jitsu. He took a fight against an opponent who any educated fan of this sport, like myself, knew was a stylistic nightmare when matched up against Conor McGregor's style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom