• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntsui

Don't fight in this competition if you don't have any experience with Jiu Jitsu, this was the lesson learned yesterday.

Jamie OD

What? No.

Fighters lose all the time. All the greats have lost fights. Ronda and Connor aren't the first two hyped fights to lose. They will come back and win a lot more, still draw a lot of money, and nobody will care. If anything, the fact they can lose makes it more exciting.

I swear some people have short memories. Go back and watch the first 150 PPVs and see how regularly most of the great fighters lost as frequently as they won. It's part of the sport.

UFC is in the best place it's been for years man.

Losing once isn't bad. What they have to be worried about is getting thrashed two fights in a row.

UFC 200 (Realistic)

Conor Vs. Frankie (FW belt)
Tate Vs. Holm 2 (BW belt)
Nate Diaz Vs. Pettis (After the Barboza tune up fight)
Bisping Vs. Anyone (Trash talk master)
Condit Vs. Matt Brown (I want this fight to happen god damn it.)

charsace

The only way Conor could have won is by round 1 KO. If he doesn't get that then he would have been in deep shit against anyone at 155 because he just doesn't have the wrestling. And this was against a guy that is a black belt sure, but Diaz doesn't have good take downs.

I think RDA's ability to mix up strikes and take downs would have been too much for Conor.

Yeoman

Don't fight in this competition if you don't have any experience with Jiu Jitsu, this was the lesson learned yesterday.
Connor has a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Nate is just an even better practitioner.

Conor won the first round but got caught pretty hard in the second and started wobbling. Hence why he went for the takedown. Nate's reach really was a game changer in my opinion. Conor is used to having a greater reach than his opponents and took it for granted up until this point.

He's no Ronda though. He wasn't broken, he admitted he needs to take another look at his game plan especially when facing larger opponents, and doesn't seem to be harboring any bitterness. I think this will drive him to improve some of the holes in his skills set.

JimiNutz

Banned
Conor should stick to 155 lbs.
A fight with Cerone or Pettis would be interesting. Don't run straight back to featherweight. He's clearly a natural lightweight - he's just not the BIGGEST lightweight like he is at feather.

Jezbollah

hes still the champion

but....its like Jon Jones moving up to heavy weight and losing to Roy Nelson....just saying

The thing is - he has the belt, yes.

But all that trash talking that made his image, and the buyrates he gets so much of his pay from has taken a reputational DUMP.

Can he trash talk himself into a 155lb title shot now? Does anyone take him as seriously now he just got beat by the #5 ranked fighter in that division?

Conor might have made $1m disclosed from the UFC for this fight, but he's lost a LOT of money in the long term from the fight with Diaz.

Zemm

That was great, I knew the fight was over as soon as Nate started putting his arms out and giving Conor the stockton slap.

Hopefully this will make Conor a little more humble in his pre-fight stuff, I'm not a fan of how obsessed he's become with money and constantly bringing it up.

But all that trash talking that made his image, and the buyrates he gets so much of his pay from has taken a reputational DUMP.

Can he trash talk himself into a 155lb title shot now? Does anyone take him as seriously now he just got beat by the #5 ranked fighter in that division?

Conor might have made $1m disclosed from the UFC for this fight, but he's lost a LOT of money in the long term from the fight with Diaz.

People need to realize that Conor will always create big fights for himself with his mouth. He is a more gifted Bisping.
He made 10 million$+ to fight a Diaz brother in a non title fight.
Dude is easily going to surpass 100 million and he will NEVER lose the PPV cut because he will always be the biggest star in the UFC because rousey disappeared and Jon Jones is never going to stop fucking up outside the cage.

Papagaio

Banned

agreed, Diaz humanized the shit out of macgregor

Conor is a draw, win or lose. He's about as bulletproof as it gets now unless he goes on a real bad losing streak. He's a bit like Chael that way.

-MD-

JHsa5Sz.jpg

Watching the first round, I was saying Nate was gonna throw the fight and lose in the first or second round. Seemed like he just wanted to get paid to job and leave. You never know with these Diaz brothers

I will always bet on Meisha when she's the underdog. She's got the tools to beat anyone. Not amazing at one thing, but great at everything. She's always been the most well rounded fighter in the division by far. So happy she finally won the title

I'd like to see Tate vs Nunes

Holly vs Zingano for title shot so they can book Tate vs Zingano 2. The storyline writes itself. Rhonda won't be coming back till October.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
In case you missed the ESPN interview, Uncle Dana says GSP/Connor was not true but they are talking to him about UFC 200.

That 170 idea was utter nonsense. He's got a 145lb frame. I doubt we will ever see Connor at 170 again. He's mostl likely going to defend his FW belt once or twice than give it a go at 155, where he will still be quite a bit undersized than most. No way in hell he will ever fight Robbie

charsace

That 170 idea was utter nonsense. He's got a 145lb frame. I doubt we will ever see Connor at 170 again. He's mostl likely going to defend his FW belt once or twice than give it a go at 155, where he will still be quite a bit undersized than most. No way in hell he will ever fight Robbie

He is a 155 guy. A slightly bigger than average 155 guy. If he could stop a take down or defend once it goes to the ground he would be a contender at 155. Problem is that he can't do either.

The Diaz brothers are pieces of shit, but they're incredible technicians in the ring.

Conor's swing for the fences style was clearly outclassed by Diaz's JJ and standup experience.

He is a 155 guy. A slightly bigger than average 155 guy. If he could stop a take down or defend once it goes to the ground he would be a contender at 155. Problem is that he can't do either.

Bigger than an average 155er maybe 6 or 7 years ago sure. But now you got 155lb fighters that are 6'0 tall and strong. Even Pettis is slightly bigger. RDA, Bendo, Cowboy, Ferguson, Nate etc are all bigger than Connor. Come to think of it, Connor would probably be on the smaller side of 155 with his skinny bone structure to height ratio.

ironcreed

Banned
I am listening to the press conference now (I got tired of waiting last night) and I have to say I like this humbled Mcgregor much better. I wish he would drop some of the circus act bullshit and be more grounded and professional... but still a confident hardass. I knew Diaz would stop him and I think it will probably be the best thing for him.

He got his ass kicked standing. He was shooting for TDs like SP.

To be fair he was doing very well in the first round, but apparently Diaz wasn't going hard then.

EA UFC 3 will most likely have some legends on the cover to save face lol. Doesn't hurt to throw Chuck Liddell on there at this point

They should stop putting one or two fighters on there and instead make a collage of fighters for the cover, past and present.

It would be way cooler to see and hopefully the dark magic can be spread out in a more even concentration so that the curses effects would dissipate.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Bigger than an average 155er maybe 6 or 7 years ago sure. But now you got 155lb fighters that are 6'0 tall and strong. Even Pettis is slightly bigger. RDA, Bendo, Cowboy, Ferguson, Nate etc are all bigger than Connor. Come to think of it, Connor would probably be on the smaller side of 155 with his skinny bone structure to height ratio.

Shame there isn't a 150lb division as that's probably the spot for Conor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom