• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 196 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz |OT| Fook The Belt feat. Ninja Shit & Touch Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Honestly what did McGregor have to gain from taking this fight? The risks, both to his body and financially for the future, far outweigh the benefits IMO.

Honestly what did McGregor have to gain from taking this fight? The risks, both to his body and financially for the future, far outweigh the benefits IMO.

Well, if you want to test yourself to the limits, that's what you do. If you feel you've got the tools and knowledge to tackle this sort of challenge, do it and see what comes up of it.

He did, he hit a wall, he's gonna stop a bit and reassess the situation and move on.

That's what ambitious people do.

brentech

I actually don't agree with this. He still has the 145 strap, so it's not like he's getting relegated to a non main event now. Maybe it puts more pressure on him to win that next fight, but because of the way he promotes, that pressure is already there.

He actually had little to lose other than some pride. 145er goes up to 170 and loses, who would have thought.

untitled-2n1z9n.gif

It's funny that people think Nate just out Jiu jitsued Connor. Yeah, he subbed him but it wasn't because Connor's ground game is weak. He subbed him because Connor was getting smacked on, lost his will and his ability, and that was his only out.

You know that Connor has a better ground game than what he displayed last night. He knows better than to give up the back and choke the way he did. But Diaz broke him down standing up and that's what gave him that choke.

Is anyone gonna take Conor as seriously anymore?

Even the UFC has to consider taking a step back with all this Conor hype.

Silly people like Kenny Florian calling him the best since Ali, best technically sound fighter in the UFC.

Alot of people need to eat this humble pie from Conor to his fans.

Aiii

So not worth it
Of course. Every fighter loses once in a while, there is no shame in that and as long as you win most of the time and do it in convincing fashion there is absolutely no problem in being seen in a good light.

It's only rabid anti-fanboys that are saying things like this, every major commentator has pointed out that McGregor was dominating initially.

McGregor could have won but I feel he needs to focus on his BJJ if he wants to compete at higher weights. He's a brown belt, he lost to a black belt, if he wants to beat bigger opponents he primarily needs to outskill them on the ground.

I don't think any commentator said McGregor dominated the 1st round because,well, he didn't. It was a competitive first round with McGregor getting the edge. I think as soon as people see blood they act like the fighter bleeding is getting dominated. McGregor will also have a lot more problems than just his lack of wrestling and ground game at the higher weights. Heck that will be a problem for him against Edgar, just like it was for him against Mendes until Mendes inexplicably gassed in round 2. Maybe he can pull a St. Pierre and get a very good MMA oriented wrestling, but he is not gonna be better than people who have been wrestling all their lives, just like St. Pierre was not better than Hendricks in wrestling (and IMO the fight). I also question the legitimacy of his purple or brown belt in BJJ. Having a BJJ belt is like candy these days, Evans and Rua supposedly have BJJ black belts, but we all know they are not at that level.

Also, Edgar's reaction here is the same as mine when I heard that. Dana White loves to overhype shit and Diaz is absolutely right when he says McGregor is a good fighter, but the real differential is the push he gets from the UFC. He is also right when he says the UFC will try to protect their golden goose by not giving Edgar a camp like they didn't give him one.

I am listening to the press conference now (I got tired of waiting last night) and I have to say I like this humbled Mcgregor much better. I wish he would drop some of the circus act bullshit and be more grounded and professional... but still a confident hardass. I knew Diaz would stop him and I think it will probably be the best thing for him.

I think he is still delusional thinking he will be effective at 170. "I just need to know my punches are not gonna put them away like that", "I need to adjust for the bigger man", etc...defend your title a few times first. He had already had trouble with Mendes, so there are plenty of fights to do there. If he does well go up to 155 and go from there. But hey, if he wants to fight bigger guys at the bigger weight class, then go for it.

El Topo

Silly people like Kenny Florian calling him the best since Ali, best technically sound fighter in the UFC.

It's not about winning or losing, it's about creating the right narrative.

Cappa

Banned

Let's just ignore the fact he jumped a weight class(two if im not mistaken) and despite getting wrecked the seconds before the submission, he was more than handling his own against Diaz. (Conor should have been up on the scorecards prior to the submission).

This is a humbling experience for Connor, but no reason why he won't go back to his original division and dominate, again.

Watching the event now. Why does it seem like Holly has virtually no ground game?

You can train jiu jitsu all day but you're not going to get very high level without years and years of time dedicated.

I was surprised how willing she was to give up her back though. She had really good defense against Honda. Thought we'd see he defend a lot better here.

Banglish

It's funny that people think Nate just out Jiu jitsued Connor. Yeah, he subbed him but it wasn't because Connor's ground game is weak. He subbed him because Connor was getting smacked on, lost his will and his ability, and that was his only out.

You know that Connor has a better ground game than what he displayed last night. He knows better than to give up the back and choke the way he did. But Diaz broke him down standing up and that's what gave him that choke.

I feel like fatigue played a big part in why Diaz was able to break Connor down. The Diaz bros have that ability to sense when fighters are getting tired and Connor started taking some pretty big breaths at the mid point of round 2. He stopped floating on the balls of his feet and the pop from his punches started to disappear. Nate popped him, Connor went for the "rest takedown" in hopes of landing top position for a breather.

Look, the UFC has a history of promoting fighters as unbeatable, until they get beaten, and then the guy that beat the unbeatable is unbeatable.

And so on and so forth.

There will be other stars, but Conor is far from done after one catch weight bout.

Now Nate might get some more options in the future so this is good for him.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

They'll spin it as a WW fight and the difference was too much, and Conor is heading back to 145 to shut up Frankie/Aldo. The loss hurts him a little, losing to Frankie or Aldo would be much worse.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Missed out on this last night. Salty about Holly losing. Now Rousey is gonna swoop in and get the title back from Tate as she has that fight on lock. FML

Oscar

Obviously his aura of greatness that he built these last two years will take a hit, but at the end of the day he went up two weight classes for this fight.

He's still the FW champ, just needed a reality check regarding his potential in other weight classes.

He will still be a draw, it's not like he was undefeated prior to his UFC run.

Haunted

Have you watched the UFC Embedded series for 196?

They already made him look like Arnold in Pumping Iron. :D Stuffing his face with food, doing his villain laugh at other fighters together with his goons, joyriding and partying... much less time spent on training and movement footage, completely different characterisation compared to past UFC Embedded series on McGregor (Boston, 189, 194). Made for good entertainment though.

ironcreed

Banned

More people will simply realize that, yes, he is a great fighter. But they will be more quick to dismiss his circus act nonsense and over the moon Lucky Charms bullshit, as if he is some larger than life, the greatest ever fighter.

I admit that I do love Conor and enjoy seeing that stuff sometimes. But he needs to dial it back, be more serious and be more like he was in the press conference after the fight. He is so much more likable that way.

Nothing would make me happier than Tate finally murking Rhonda. It would be like Vegeta killing Frieza for me. Tate needs to keep the fight standing. She was beating Rhonda in both fights on the feet until the fight went close quarters.

dem

I actually don't think Dana is too upset Conor lost. Guy was getting too big for his britches. I almost think that's why they let him move up to fight Dos Anjos.

You're not allowed to be bigger than the UFC..

Exr

Guess the casuals who bought into the hype are surprised. People who actually follow the sport arent too shocked.

ironcreed

Banned
Nothing would make me happier than Tate finally murking Rhonda. It would be like Vegeta killing Frieza for me. Tate needs to keep the fight standing. She was beating Rhonda in both fights on the feet until the fight went close quarters.

If she is as careful and calculating as she was last night, I think she can finally beat Ronda. Meisha will have a different mindset and now that the book is out on Ronda, I don't think she has the mental fortitude to come back as strong. She proved to be too feeble minded after Holm sent her crashing back down to Earth.

Honestly, I think Ronda will never be the same again. She will eventually retire and probably end up doing stints for Vince in WWE, along side some horrible attempts at acting before fading away and maybe doing some occasional commentary and commercials. Just my take, but we shall see.

Payouts

Nate Diaz: $500,000 (no win bonus)
def. Conor McGregor: $1,000,000

Miesha Tate: $92,000 (includes $46,000 win bonus)
def. Holly Holm: $500,000

Ilir Latifi: $50,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus)
def. Gian Villante: $36,000

Corey Anderson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Tom Lawlor: $28,000

Amanda Nunes: $56,000 (includes $28,000 win bonus)
def. Valentina Shevchenko: $14,000

Siyar Bahadurzada: $38,000 (includes $19,000 win bonus)
def. Brandon Thatch: $22,000

Nordine Taleb: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Erick Silva: $34,000

Vitor Miranda: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus)
def. Marcelo Guimaraes: $13,000

Darren Elkins: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus)
def. Chas Skelly: $21,000

Diego Sanchez: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
def. Jim Miller: $59,000

Jason Saggo: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Justin Salas: $16,000

Teruto Ishihara: $34,000 (includes $17,000 win bonus)
def. Julian Erosa: $12,000

Yeoman

Guess the casuals who bought into the hype are surprised. People who actually follow the sport arent too shocked.
Is that why the betting odds were massively in Conor's favour?
Let's not pretend that the majority of people - hardcore and casual alike - weren't expecting McGregor to win.

Let's just ignore the fact he jumped a weight class(two if im not mistaken) and despite getting wrecked the seconds before the submission, he was more than handling his own against Diaz. (Conor should have been up on the scorecards prior to the submission).

This is a humbling experience for Connor, but no reason why he won't go back to his original division and dominate, again.

the scale said 170, but he only went up 1 weight class. nate is a 155er, just neither of them had to cut any weight for the fight

you want to see him in WW, put him against woodley, lawler, wonderboy, hendricks, rory, condit, etc... the size difference will be laughable.

I was surprised how willing she was to give up her back though. She had really good defense against Honda. Thought we'd see he defend a lot better here.

ronda hip tosses, miesha shoots - different defense. off her back shes a novice for sure

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It's MMA - everyone loses sometimes.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
back to the midget league i guess.

is there a screan cap of conners sad mug when he realized his stock just crashed

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i don't know anything about smash bros or other forms of fisticuffs, but does that roundhouse type kick thing that mcgregor did a bunch of times ever work?

I actually don't think Dana is too upset Conor lost. Guy was getting too big for his britches. I almost think that's why they let him move up to fight Dos Anjos.

You're not allowed to be bigger than the UFC..

they let him move up for Dos Anjos to advertise McGregor as being the only fighter in the UFC to hold belts for two different weight classes. Dana is absolutely gutted about the loss.

LightMilkyCoot.gif

i love it. he got buried in the "stuck in the mud division"

kinggroin

Banned
Obviously his aura of greatness that he built these last two years will take a hit, but at the end of the day he went up two weight classes for this fight.

He's still the FW champ, just needed a reality check regarding his potential in other weight classes.

He will still be a draw, it's not like he was undefeated prior to his UFC run.

That's a liiiittle disingenuous considering UFC is where most casuals (the folks who get caught up in the hype and aura) will define his career. There, he was undefeated before last night.

But yes I agree. It's not going to ruin his career at all.

He fought at his natural weight and didn't have to cut like at fw, it was easier on his body than other fights...but yeah he didnt have to take the fight

Hey, at least I got the round right in my prediction.... tough loss for Conor, great win for Nate. Tons of respect for both of them. Good show of class at the end. Big ups to both of them. I wanted Conor to win but I'm glad Nate got the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom